4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No tail, dash or tag lights when headlights are on

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No tail, dash or tag lights when headlights are on

I need help with this lighting problem my '96 Maxima has had since before I bought it. I have always been told that the 90's model Nissan's were some great running, reliable little vehicles and that they were also really fun to drive. To recap, whenever my headlights are on, (for whatever reason) I just don't have tail, dash or tag lights. My brake, dome and blinker lights all seem to work fine. In the first thread I posted a few months ago, I was told that it was probably just a blown fuse or a bad relay. So I used a multiimeter to test every fuse under the hood and steering wheel and they all came back good. I decided to go out today and check the fuses again (in case I missed something) and ended up doing a little more research. On one forum, somebody said that this year of Maxima (supposedly) didn't even have a relay for their tail/running lights. I also read that it's possible for a multimeter to indicate that a fuse is good and it still not be able to complete a circuit. I just finished swapping fuses about 5 minutes ago, even going as far as to swap and test the alternate/test fuse I planned to use before using it to check the tail fuse with it. So, long story short; all of my fuses are definately good, there apparently is no relay and I'm down to tracing wires. If that doesn't work then I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have other suggestions? Also, if anyone has a 4th gen wiring diagram or even a link to find one, It'd really be appreciated. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the right diagram online. I absolutely love the car already and would very much like to see her back on the road. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CRunner731; 05-06-2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 AM

wild guess, maybe more of a switch problem but dont know how to test that idea
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM

Refer to the EL section of the fsm (factory service manual). It will show you the path the signal takes through whatever fuse/relay/wire. Very useful troubleshooting things like this. Your dash lights don't work but everything else in the car does? There is a dash light brightness adjustment "****" to the right of the steering wheel make sure it's not set to off

Idk if I can put the link on here but Google for 99 (or whatever year) maxima fsm (factory service manual), nicoclub doesn't have them posted anymore but there are other sites that still do.

​​​​
Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by CRunner731
I need help with this lighting problem my '96 Maxima has had since before I bought it. I have always been told that the 90's model Nissan's were some great running, reliable little vehicles and that they were also really fun to drive. To recap, whenever my headlights are on, (for whatever reason) I just don't have tail, dash or tag lights. My brake, dome and blinker lights all seem to work fine. In the first thread I posted a few months ago, I was told that it was probably just a blown fuse or a bad relay. So I used a multiimeter to test every fuse under the hood and steering wheel and they all came back good. I decided to go out today and check the fuses again (in case I missed something) and ended up doing a little more research.

On one forum, somebody said that this year of Maxima (supposedly) didn't even have a relay for their tail/running lights.
I also read that it's possible for a multimeter to indicate that a fuse is good and it still not be able to complete a circuit.

I just finished swapping fuses about 5 minutes ago, even going as far as to swap and test the alternate/test fuse I planned to use before using it to check the tail fuse with it. So, long story short; all of my fuses are definately good, there apparently is no relay and I'm down to tracing wires. If that doesn't work then I don't know what else to do.

Does anyone have other suggestions? Also, if anyone has a 4th gen wiring diagram or even a link to find one, It'd really be appreciated. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the right diagram online. I absolutely love the car already and would very much like to see her back on the road. Thanks in advance.
Where do I begin on this? Between all the mis-information that you have been given, it will be difficult.

I guess that we will start with the mis-information.

Relays:
A relay is used when the amperage needed by something is too much for a switch. A relay is a switch that is operated electrically. You press a switch in your, say, dashboard and that switch "turns on" the relay that provides the power to whatever it may be. Right now, it is the current "fad" to blame a relay for when something doesn't work. Someone will post that the air in their tires are low and someone will inevitably tell them to check the relay. Relays are pretty reliable. I wish the rest of the car was even half as reliable as a relay. Of course a relay will go bad, it is made by man. But they are way, way down the list of things to check.

"it's possible for a multimeter to indicate that a fuse is good and it still not be able to complete a circuit:"
Overall, this is true. But it implies the wrong cause. If a fuse checks good with the multimeter, it is good - end of discussion. If you plug that fuse in and whatever it is doesn't work, then the problem is a bad connection. Since fuse connections are by spring tension, it is possible that the connections have tarnished or corroded. This will and does keep the electricity from flowing. Unplug/plug the fuse a few times and you will clean the connections. Of course the bad connection may not be at the fuse.

/rant... Now let's talk about your problem.

It sounds like someone may have put the wrong kind of lamp (light bulb) in one or more of the sockets. The automotive industry used two different types of lamps for brake lights and tail lights. One is the 1156 lamp and the other is the 1157 lamp. Which one was used depends on how the car was designed. Back then, more cars used the 1157 lamp than the 1156 and mechanics were brainwashed into thinking the brake and brake light was always an 1157.

The 1157 lamp is a dual lamp, meaning it is like 2 lamps combined into one. When you look at it, you will see two filaments inside the glass bulb. It also has 2 contacts on the bottom. The 1156 lamp is a single lamp and therefore has only one filament inside and one contact on the bottom. Outside, they are the same exact size and can be mistaken when quickly glanced at.

If you put the wrong lamp in the socket, you won't blow a fuse. What happens is that you connect the tail light wiring with the brake light wiring. The result is that you are now supplying power to twice as many lamps and there is not enough current/amperage to light them all up. You will get this same situation if you put an 1157 in place of an 1165 ot and 1156 in place of an 1157.

So go through all the brake and tail lights. Remove the lamp from the socket. Look at how many contacts are on the bottom of the lamp and compare it with how many contacts are in the bottom of the socket. Don't forget to check the lights in the front bumper.

Here is a link to the wiring for your car:
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1996/EL.pdf
Old 05-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

***SOLVED***
pulled the housing around the steering wheel off and pulled the headlight switch. Turns out, a previous owner bypassed the corner light relay and the clip for the main wiring harness for that switch was melted and warped. Gotta replace the switch and clip. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Process of elimination.