4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any AC Service Experts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 AM

Any AC Service Experts?

My AC failed recently due to a refrigerant leak. The leak occurred over about a 24 hour period and the system is totally void of refrigerant.

One AM, it worked perfectly ... that same PM it blew warm but the compressor cycled ... the next AM no nothing.

In doing my initial visual inspection of the system, I inadvertently depressed the relief pin in the low side service valve and not so much as a hiss was heard, telling me the system is empty.

No observable oil could be seen anywhere and due to a previous repair, dye is already in the system.

I’ve done the UV inspection thing (totally dark garage, UV light, super-awesome yellow glasses), from the top and underneath the whole AC system. The only place where dye was seen was inside the low side service valve.

I’ve replaced both of the low and high side service valves and put the system on a vacuum for about 45 minutes.

Upon letting the system sit, vacuum was lost only on the low pressure side.

I re-seated both the low side and high side service valves and did the vacuum test again.

Same result. Loss of vacuum on the low side, no loss on the high side.

Any thoughts?

Simple low pressure hose O-ring failure?

Evaporator?

Last edited by Turbobink; 05-14-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Nothing by the compressor?

Did you look inside the car for dye with the light?

I'd be suspicious if there was no other trace anywhere else.

Yep, that would suck!

However, if it is, you can replace it (do the heater core as well while in there) and the dryer and use one of the more efficient "freons" after the big purge.

You're "Down There" and we all know how HOT it gets. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Turbobink
My AC failed recently due to a refrigerant leak. The leak occurred over about a 24 hour period and the system is totally void of refrigerant.

One AM, it worked perfectly ... that same PM it blew warm but the compressor cycled ... the next AM no nothing.

In doing my initial visual inspection of the system, I inadvertently depressed the relief pin in the low side service valve and not so much as a hiss was heard, telling me the system is empty.

No observable oil could be seen anywhere and due to a previous repair, dye is already in the system.

I’ve done the UV inspection thing (totally dark garage, UV light, super-awesome yellow glasses), from the top and underneath the whole AC system. The only place where dye was seen was inside the low side service valve.

I’ve replaced both of the low and high side service valves and put the system on a vacuum for about 45 minutes.

Upon letting the system sit, vacuum was lost only on the low pressure side.

I re-seated both the low side and high side service valves and did the vacuum test again.

Same result. Loss of vacuum on the low side, no loss on the high side.

Any thoughts?

Simple low pressure hose O-ring failure?

Evaporator?