4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Subwoofer / Amplifier Install 1996 with Bose

Old 09-25-2018, 04:35 PM

Subwoofer / Amplifier Install 1996 with Bose

Hi fellas, I have a '96 Maxima that I'm looking to install a sub and amp into. This is a GLE with Bose system, however the head unit has been replaced years ago with a decent Pioneer unit.

I can run the interior wires (RCA and remote wire) no problem, but I'm not seeing any areas in the firewall with which to run power cable through. I'm looking at 4 gauge wire, possibly 2. What is the best way to get power into the car, and what is the easiest routing location to get from front to back?

Hoping I don't have to drill a hole and that there's already some sort of factory pass-through in the firewall. If I do need to drill, what is the best location? Any help in getting power wired would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM

It depends on how the Pioneer radio was hooked up. Sometimes they bypass the Bose ****, and sometimes they use one of those integration adapters that lets you keep the Bose speakers and amps with the new aftermarket radio.

Does it still have the Bose speakers? Or were they replaced?

If you're going to do all that work, you might as well get a new radio with Android Auto/Apple Carplay
Old 09-25-2018, 05:52 PM

This is how I ran my power wire.

There is an opening to the right of the brake booster to begin feeding the line thru.
Remove the front left wheel well plastic cover to retrieve the wire.
You should see a large grommet with factory wires going into the cabin. I was able to run my wire in thru that grommet into the area just above the foot rest pedal (remove driver kick panel).

Since you are running a bigger gauge wire than I did, you may not be able to use the same grommet I did, so you may have to search for another way into the cabin.

Attached some pics, not the best but hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer / Amplifier Install 1996 with Bose-9a4b7ec3-9a14-4507-9a77-fceca8010c2e.jpeg   Subwoofer / Amplifier Install 1996 with Bose-8f1d8a8d-449d-45b3-90b9-967d3a4e3a2e.jpeg   Subwoofer / Amplifier Install 1996 with Bose-53728638-434f-4aaf-9f54-1fb5d9dfda93.jpeg  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by dsonnylal
This is how I ran my power wire.

There is an opening to the right of the brake booster to begin feeding the line thru.
Remove the front left wheel well plastic cover to retrieve the wire.
You should see a large grommet with factory wires going into the cabin. I was able to run my wire in thru that grommet into the area just above the foot rest pedal (remove driver kick panel).

Since you are running a bigger gauge wire than I did, you may not be able to use the same grommet I did, so you may have to search for another way into the cabin.

Attached some pics, not the best but hope it helps.
That's a great starting point, I'll start looking there and see if that will work for me-- I assume you ran the wire down the drivers door sill (under the carpet) to the back?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
It depends on how the Pioneer radio was hooked up. Sometimes they bypass the Bose ****, and sometimes they use one of those integration adapters that lets you keep the Bose speakers and amps with the new aftermarket radio.

Does it still have the Bose speakers? Or were they replaced?

If you're going to do all that work, you might as well get a new radio with Android Auto/Apple Carplay
The Bose speakers are still in the car. I suspect it's using an integration adapater on the head unit, but I should still have one or more pre-outs to use for the sub amp (I hope, will find out soon enough.) I can change things around if that doesn't work out, it's just the power wire that I was really scratching my head about.

Personally, I think the stock Bose speakers are pretty great. One of the best sounding factory setups (I don't know how the stock head unit sounded as this Pioneer was in it when I got the car) I've ever heard. The bass is pretty incredible for two 6.5" in the rear-- I wasn't going to add a sub (already have had the car 2 years), but I find myself wanting just a little more for some types of music. So a single 15" sub ought to do the trick
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 PM

I'm running 0 gauge and have drilled a hole in the circled area from the inside using an IRWIN Unibit. Kind of a tight spot but doable. Make sure to use a grommet.

Here's a link for the Unibit.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Unibi...Set/1000363533

Old 09-26-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
That's a great starting point, I'll start looking there and see if that will work for me-- I assume you ran the wire down the drivers door sill (under the carpet) to the back?
Yeah, once I had it thru the firewall, the wire was run along the door sill towards the back.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the help! I stumbled upon that same area you have pictured and voila, that was a piece of cake. Had to drill at an angle, but perfectly doable. Comes into the car at a perfect spot, almost as if that flat spot was made for this!