4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 Nissan Maxima Obd 2 or Obd1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:15 AM

1995 Nissan Maxima Obd 2 or Obd1?

So I just purchased a 1995 Nissan Maxima and was wondering whether or not it has obd2 or not. I’ve read on forum some people saying only late built 1995 model have obd 2. Some people saying all 1995 do. Mine is an early built from October 1994. Would mine have obd 2? If so where is it? I heard the 1995 Maxima unlike the 1996-1999 is on the passenger side footwell to the left toward the center console. Is that true? A picture would be appreciated.

Last edited by mark217; 06-20-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 AM

All 1996 and new vehicles were equipped with OBD II. There were a very limited number of vehicles equipped with OBDII going back to the 1994 model year, but I'm pretty sure the Maxima was not one of those.

The connector will tell you conclusively. I don't know the specifics about the differing locations of the ODB II connectors, buy I'm pretty sure the OBD I connectors are all in the engine compartment, typically in fairly close proximity to the location of the ECU.

If OBD I, look for a connector in the area of the driver's side corner of the e-compartment at or very near the firewall.

They look like this:

Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM
JvG

Supposedly ALL 4th Gen Maxima are obd 2

I've never seen posts by anyone with a OBD 1 system.

It would make little financial sense to introduce a new generation with the obd 1 system, then change it again the next year.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95 has an OBD II port. Its behind a black plastic cover in the passenger foot well on the middle of the center console. My daughter has the car today so when i get home I will post some pics. When I use a simple scanner it works easily. I have used more sophisticated scanners and had to tell the scanner that I was scanning a 96. I will also check the build date.
Hope this helps.
Carey
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 PM

my 95 has a build date of 12/94 and has an obd 2 port on passenger side, no cover. i've used multiple scanners and the only thing you can't do is get your emissions readings from that port, everything else you can.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:48 PM

OBD II passenger side
Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 PM

There are no OBD1 4th Gen Maximas. 95 models and newer all OBD II
Old 07-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1995 Max’s ARE indeed OBD1. The port is located next to the interior fuse box panel underneath the steering wheel. 1995 was the only year for OBD1 4th gens. I just happen to know this because my current 4th gen is a 1995 and I work at a Nissan dealership. I do see the other comments and maybe mine is a unicorn but there is a such thing as a OBD1 95. If it makes any difference mine is an early production date and is an SE.

Last edited by AVP198; 07-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:05 PM

This has been mentioned a very long time ago and has been answered multiple times.

First pic is a Consult connector in the Fuse Box, second pic is the connector port for an OBD II Generic Scan Tool. This is the FSM for 1995 Nissan Maxima NA. Model year 1995-1999 Nissan Maxima is OBD II.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by AVP198
1995 Max’s ARE indeed OBD1. The port is located next to the interior fuse box panel underneath the steering wheel. 1995 was the only year for OBD1 4th gens. I just happen to know this because my current 4th gen is a 1995 and I work at a Nissan dealership. I do see the other comments and maybe mine is a unicorn but there is a such thing as a OBD1 95. If it makes any difference mine is an early production date and is an SE.
wrong...// read the post below yours. and this has been covered extensively on this forum for damn near 20 years now.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually, 1995s are OBD 1. OBD2 began in 1995 and newer vehicles but was not up to federal standards until 1996 model year where the OBD2 port became the primary. The port is there for emissions but most scanners cannot communicate properly with the OBD2 port including consult 3. Because of this any real form of diagnosing must be done with the OBD1 port. The software just isn’t there. I’ve tried using that port as I was battling a CEL for Code 21 I believe it was and ended up having to use consult 2 as the OBD 2 scanners I used were not communicating with the car.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Actually, 1995s are OBD 1. OBD2 began in 1995 and newer vehicles but was not up to federal standards until 1996 model year where the OBD2 port became the primary. The port is there for emissions but most scanners cannot communicate properly with the OBD2 port including consult 3. Because of this any real form of diagnosing must be done with the OBD1 port. The software just isn’t there. I’ve tried using that port as I was battling a CEL for Code 21 I believe it was and ended up having to use consult 2 as the OBD 2 scanners I used were not communicating with the car.
We're gonna need definitive proof, cuz we're certainly not going to take your word for it. Otherwise, you're just looking more and more foolish and digging a bigger hole.
As other's have stated, it's well known and documented that all 95 Maximas are OBDII
Old 07-04-2019, 02:21 AM

to any doubters. here is a pic of my 1995 Max Dash with an OBD2 ScanGuage II hooked up. on 95s the OBD2 connection is near the glove box on pax side of car. on top of the ECM
there is a consult/OBD1 plug in the fuse box of 95s as well. oh and just about to hit 100K on my bought in 95 max. 24 years is average right?

OBD2 ScanGuage on 1995 Maxima.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:00 PM

The 95 was built with OBD II even though the law didn't require it until the 1996 models. Nissan wasn't going to have an odd-ball configuration in the 4th gen family.

But the CONSULT port on a 1995 is strictly CONSULT. The OBD I connector is a different shape from the CONSULT connector as well as the OBD II connector.

Last edited by DennisMik; 07-04-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which connector or scanner suits this OBD I 1995 model, please? I just bought my 1st Maxima, indeed my 1st car ever, and I wanna buy the proper scanner for my japanese jet. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by flynlr
to any doubters. here is a pic of my 1995 Max Dash with an OBD2 ScanGuage II hooked up. on 95s the OBD2 connection is near the glove box on pax side of car. on top of the ECM
there is a consult/OBD1 plug in the fuse box of 95s as well. oh and just about to hit 100K on my bought in 95 max. 24 years is average right?

OBD2 ScanGuage on 1995 Maxima.
I'd appreciatwd if you could post a picture showing the OBD 2 location on the passanger side?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by japjet@br
I'd appreciatwd if you could post a picture showing the OBD 2 location on the passanger side?
Have you even looked? The previous poster told you the area where to look.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by japjet@br
I told you exactly where it is
Old 10-03-2020, 12:59 AM

Reading is hard.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
my 95 has a build date of 12/94 and has an obd 2 port on passenger side, no cover. i've used multiple scanners and the only thing you can't do is get your emissions readings from that port, everything else you can.
I also have a obd 2 port on the passenger side, mine has a build date of 10/94. I keep buying parts for a 95, I hope that isn't an issue. There is also a consult adapter and the screw to be turned for diagnostics with the lights. 3 different options and I still can't get it. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:28 PM

I have a 95 maxima build date 10/94 the obdII reader is on the passenger side left hand foot, you'll have to scoot in a little deeper to see it as the plastic almost hides it. I've also read, that that basically only tells you exhaust issues. There is also what is called a consulter that is by the fuse box. Also along with that there is a screw (right foot driver side) by the gas pedal that can be turned for diagnostics, but you have to count the flashes and read the codes. This is confusing the heck out of me, and I still have a car that is running rough. Good luck
Old 12-18-2022, 05:11 PM
JvG

Itz, please read through out this thread.

You will notice that the car is indeed OBD 2.

Also exactly where the OBD 2 port is located on the passenger side.

Keep in mind that the Japanese have their steering wheel on the right side of the car. So it makes sense that the OBD2 port is there . It's a first year of the 4th generation. Yes, late 1994 is a 1995 car with OBD2.

Last edited by JvG; 12-18-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:41 AM

Thank you for your response. Yes, I believe it is an obdII, but I read someone elses post and they said that it was only good for exhaust type problems.. I'm not sure yet because I haven't bought the reader but I am going too. Car is running extremely rough, have replaced a lot of parts so far, but I'm at least trying. Thanks to this forum and it's members which gave me ideas to try.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:43 AM

Also we used the screw diagnostic thing.. and of course the blinking light read out was 5-5.. No fault.. ugh.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:03 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by Itzlmntry
Thank you for your response. Yes, I believe it is an obdII, but I read someone elses post and they said that it was only good for exhaust type problems.. I'm not sure yet because I haven't bought the reader but I am going too. Car is running extremely rough, have replaced a lot of parts so far, but I'm at least trying. Thanks to this forum and it's members which gave me ideas to try.
It's no different than any other OBD 2.
Fully functional.

Please tell us which symptoms your car has.
Many of us can diagnose base on symptoms alone.
Keep in mind that mechanics and good hobby mechanics diagnosed symptoms before fuel injection existed.

Which parts have you treplaced and why.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:16 AM

I ordered one yesterday so I guess I'll see. I hope it gives me pertinent information. Thank you for your reply.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:31 AM

Ok, so my car was surging really high. I could smell raw gas. I bought and replaced the tps but it was worse with the new one, so put the old one back in. Then I bought a new IACV which actually stopped that surging, but.... now my car is running so rough it sounds almost like a loud lifter tap (common in nissans) but my roommate and his friend say it sounds like it's missing, not firing on all cylinders. We replaced the spark plugs the other day the pass side old plug was kinda wet, we replaced them all. Started the car and unfortunately still the same running rough, loud ticking sounds. I put my arm in and checked the egr valve from the bottom and it does compress up and down but it makes almost like a release of air sound but it does compress as I said. I had the car off when I pushed on that, I am going to try to keep it running and try pushing on that egr valve again and see if that makes a difference? We used the diagnostic screw and the code read No Malfunction... I did order the obd2 reader but until I get that I am at a standstill. Note: as we were trying to fix that surging problem originall my roomate put his hand over the throttle body where the host was removed it immediately stopped the surging, but with doing that all of a sudden the car started chugging...uh oh. Now it's still chugging (running rough) and sounds almost like a lifter tapping but louder. I read somewhere after doing these things I should make the car run for at least 5 minutes to let the computer reset? Not sure about that one. I asked in this forum some where if when my roommate had his hand over that throttle tube (that's when the rough run started) if it could've made it jump time? All I know is this car ran beautifully, and it starts right up but can't keep running and chugs pretty bad. I will post after I get the OBD2 and go from there I guess. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:19 PM
JvG

The car will not jump time when you do that.

please check for vacuum leaks. They provide excess air and can promote surging.

Is tge car sometimes difficult to start after its been parked a while ? Also when it does finally start, is there a cloud of white or gray stuff come from the exhaust.
Also does the cloud smell like raw gasoline.

please look up instructions regarding idle adjustment.
It involves removing a plug from the IACV. Before you turn the idle speed screw. Failure to do that can cause your symptoms
Old 12-21-2022, 09:36 AM

Injectors …
Old 12-21-2022, 10:23 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Injectors …
That's my opinion as well.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Injectors …
Originally Posted by JvG
That's my opinion as well.
Just to be clear, this opinion isn’t just a shot-in-the-dark. The symptoms you’ve described … surge, rough idle, stalling, engine noise, raw fuel smell, fuel wetted spark plug(s) … are classic and typical symptoms of failed fuel injectors.

Many of us, including me, have been there, done that.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:23 AM

Really? UGH! If this is the case it is way beyond what I can accomplish. 2 1/2 hour tow to the nearest person who will work on it. I'm so sad I love this car. I bought a obdII scanner like others had recommended. It is a MOTOPOWER obdII EOBD. Unfortunately it did not read anything. It is working and I have the port, but it shows nothing. I've just about tried everything that you all have suggested. TPS sensor, IACV, new spark plugs getting ready to buy new coil packs. The fuel injection problem is way beyond what I can do @ 63 years old. Thank you for your post.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:49 AM

I have a 95 maxima, everyone has told me it was OBDII, I bought one just to find out what the heck my issues were with my car. It reads nothing (not saying it doesn't work) but no codes. I did the diagnostic with the blinking lights "no malfunction". So many different people say so many things. Let me state this: I have a 1995 Nissan maxima. The OBDII reader connects on the passenger side of the car by the left foot behind a plastic panel. There is a consult by the fuse box which is worthless. By the right foot there is under a plastic panel also the diagnostic screw which flashes for code. Mine was built 10/94. Who knows but obviously the only way I can get to the bottom of this is to spend 1000.00 bucks to get it towed 2 1/2 hours away to Colorado Springs. I live in rural (very rural) New Mexico. One last thing I will try before I even consider the fuel injectors will be coil packs. Then sadly to say I've tried just about everything. Thanks for posting
Old 12-29-2022, 10:25 AM

Well, since you ignored my posts on THE OTHER THREAD YOU STARTED about this and now took over this one acting like a victim..... I shouldn't even post this, despite the title most would think would get your attention...

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ing-issue.html

Good luck since you're going to need it ignoring like you do!
Old 12-29-2022, 11:24 AM
JvG

You mentioned that you found a wet spark plug.
The wet plug indicates which injector is leaking.

Was it on the side of the engine close to the radiator, or on the fire wall.

It's easy to replace injectors on the side by the radiator.
You could probably manage this by yourself.

Replacement of injectors on the side by the firewall is more of an adventure. I replaced all of my injectors and other stuff when I was your age.

I'm 68 now. We have other members who are senior citizens. We still work on cars. Some are still physically able to repair stuff, others are not.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:50 PM

Back left passenger side by firewall. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:52 PM

Wow. Look I apologize I did not see your response. I get an email and I click on it. I posted on here about something and just I guess restated, I had no idea this is another thread as you call it. I've never been in a forum before and have tried to adhere to the rules. Thanks for your reply.