4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thanks Maxima.org for everything!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Max40

Thanks Maxima.org for everything!

This past weekend my beloved Maxima SE that I had for over 25 years met its end by a stupid distracted driver. Hit me head on at 40 mph and totaled my car. Was trying to hold on until 300K miles (totaled at 285K miles).

I wanted to thank all you folks on the forum for all your help and suggestions, it saved me a lot of money but I really go to know my car.

I have to say after looking at the wreckage I don't know if one foot more of travel could have really put me in the hospital, but the other car came at me like 40 mph and devastated the front driver side.

It was a great car, fast, lots of torque, a real V6 engine and handled like a dream. I know for sure they won't make anything like that ever again.

The forum made me realize how special the car really was.

Signing off.......
Old 11-11-2019, 05:32 PM
JvG

So sorry to read about this.

The car's last act was to save your life.
It was built well enough to absorb the impact.

Cars can kind of be replaced.

Human lives not so much.

You seem to have learned a lot of useful skills which you can use in the future.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Bought and sold, wrecked and rolled. Glad you walked away.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Well, be happy it lasted 25 years! that is such a milestone to reach with one vehicle. Most people don't keep the same car for that long. Perfect excuse to get into 240sx, skylines, imported JDM cars that will be legal soon with the 25 year rule, most of them being $5000-15000 cars based on year/model/mods except some skylines.

That is if you're still interested in cool JDM cars... If mine were to get totaled out, that'd be my ticket to some cool rides out there.

Only reason I still have mine is because its in absolutely great condition and has some mods that are quite hard to find nowadays despite how old these cars are becoming. I don't know what to do with it. I love these 4th gen maxima.. Probably the only Maxima I like out of all because of its well-built design/exterior looks before Renault took over Nissan in 2001 making them garbage nowadays. Now if it looked like an absolute dump, It'd be sent away in a heartbeat.

Last edited by JoshG; 11-12-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Good luck! What is the next car going to be?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Max40

That is a hard one. This car was so good. Fast, the styling was timeless, great on gas (even if it could only use Premium), could handle any weather condition. Did not have anti-lock brakes only 4 wheel disc brakes. It was a purist car, you got in and it connected you with the road. Driving my wife's Subaru Legacy and it is not the same.

Looking for another sports sedan.....but I won't be buying a Nissan
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Maxie40
That is a hard one. This car was so good. Fast, the styling was timeless, great on gas (even if it could only use Premium), could handle any weather condition. Did not have anti-lock brakes only 4 wheel disc brakes. It was a purist car, you got in and it connected you with the road. Driving my wife's Subaru Legacy and it is not the same.

Excellent summary.

it's unfortunate that Nissan's quality isn't what it once was.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie40

I've been looking into Toyota RAV4 V6s and the AWD variant. I'm leaning toward a sports/performance small SUV with AWD and lots of aftermarket enhancement support. Then there are the 6-MT Rolla SEs. I still have a lot of years left in my 4th gens though.

Its hard to think about trading off cars that really drive great and don't give trouble.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
So sorry to read about this.

The car's last act was to save your life.
It was built well enough to absorb the impact.

Cars can kind of be replaced.

Human lives not so much.
Spot-on and very touching JvG! I truly believe you are right about the 4th Gens being really well built. The sheet metal seems thicker and the car way more robust than new car options in a similar class. I also agree with what you said about Nissan's deteriorated reputation - both in their cars and customer support. They are not the giant they used to be when Motor Trend voted our car Import Car of the Year in 1995. Every Nissan dealer here always seems desolate when I go to pick up my oil filter or a gallon of coolant etc. compared to Toyota and others. Quite a shame actually.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:28 PM

yeah, i wouldn't touch a newer nissan with those cvt transmissions if you paid me. got a 2017 hyundai elantra se recently and it gets 28 miles to the gallon and i'm actually thinking about upgrading to a 2018 sonata sport for more features and it's only got 6,700.00 miles on it and it's a cpo car but so is mine. just a slightly bigger motor and moonroof with heated seats and leather. they want an additional 4,500.00 for it, but i'm gonna try to talk them down to 3,000.00!! really don't have the extra cash right now, but for 3 more, i'll find a way.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Max40

Well Maxima family even though my 95 SE is what I consider in a better place even if it is the junkyard, I have finally gotten a new car after 25 years. I am trying the leasing thing as I would like to see how the new car holds after 3 years. I got a 2019 Mazda 6, no sunroof or power seats but it did come with alloy wheels standard. It is a 4 cylinder but at times driving it, the glimpses of my 95 Max are there, the quick pick-up, holding the turns at 45-50 mph. I will not miss buying premium fuel, been saving money just getting regular fuel. I still reminisce about my Maxima from time to time.