3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I Love My Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I Love My Max

I really do love this thing a lot, but it seems like I'm the only person who does. Everybody seems so hell bent on putting it down and pointing out how much of a P.O.S. it is. Nobody seems to understand how strong it's running for a 14 year old car. It's lasting a lot longer than a lot of other cars out there. Do any of you guys get that same sort of treatment from family and friends??? Let me know so I know if I'm not alone out there...

Old 02-07-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: I Love My Max

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
I really do love this thing a lot, but it seems like I'm the only person who does. Everybody seems so hell bent on putting it down and pointing out how much of a P.O.S. it is. Nobody seems to understand how strong it's running for a 14 year old car. It's lasting a lot longer than a lot of other cars out there. Do any of you guys get that same sort of treatment from family and friends??? Let me know so I know if I'm not alone out there...

Yes my brother has my old 89 and he still gets compliments on it and it is still running strong. It has about 201,000 miles and is still running strong as day 1 when I had it and the motor is original! I drove it 2 weeks ago and was like I should have kept this car,lol!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:24 AM

Stop Crying....

No, you are not alone. Listen to this:

I have owned my Maxima since May '89. First big purchase out of college. I was torn between a Cressida or Legend LS... actually, although the Cressida was very responsive and refined, I was really leaning heavily toward the Legend. Driving back from a Honda dealer after ruling out the Accord LXi, I remembered that I had read some glowing tests about the Maxima. As luck would have it, I was coming upon a Nissan dealer, and the rest was history. It felt and drove like a car costing $10K more. I was hooked. It was not an easy purchase though, since at that time, there were still self imposed import quotas on Japanese cars. It was sticker or more and not much room to bargain... supply clearly outstripped demand. But I was very pleased with myself and continue to be. You get what you pay for!

I get a kick out of the fact that you were born the year I graduatd high school. It boggles my mind to think kids who were born at a time that seems so recent to ME, are now second and third owners of "my" Maxima!

Times change... I began making decent money, got married, had a couple of kids and now here I am... all grown up... and I'm still driving my 1989 Maxima. Through the '90s I owned Hondas while the Maxima was used for the weekends and sat in the garage (I used my Civic EXs to drive to the train and up to NYC... kinda like a self imposed beater). This explains the less than 100K miles on my 1989.

To date... no exaggeration... I have never taken the Max back to the dealer for one single problem. The most money I've ever spent on it was to replace all the belts at 75K to be safe. Sure, plugs, oil, brake pads, coolant, etc have been meticulously maintained. The car has never leaked or burned one drop of oil, or coolant or trans fluid. When I say the car is original and in flawless condition, I ain't kidding. I keep waiting for something to happen, so I can go buy a new car, but I just can't part with a machine so perfect in execution and reliability. Never hit, never painted, and it runs as smoothly as new.

I read alot about all the troubles people have with their own Gen3s and I think it is because they are so rough on them. That is certainly their perogative and there is nothin' wrong with using it anyway they see fit, but it does explain alot of the problems that crop up. I don't think the Maxima was built to withstand constant hard-charging and racing.

But I really do expect that some day my Maxima will give up the ghost (and since it's so old, it won't take much)... it has to, doesn't it? When that happens I will junk it, or sell it, but while it still looks and feels like a new car (owing alot to Nissan's overbuilding it and using it as a test bed for the Infiniti brand... just as Toyota did with the Cressida for Lexus) I will hold on to it. This generation Maxima was built to be world class... not built to a price like most cars are. In 1989, the Maxima was world class. I drive my dad's 2000 SE and it feels and drives alot nicer still and my wife's Pathfinder LE is terrific, but my '89 still holds it's own.

My friends up north cannot beleive I still have my Maxima. One close friend (now an attorney) from HS bought a spectacular BMW 540i a couple of years ago... Cabernet with a biscuit interior. It looks like a million bucks. He and his wife love it... when it's not having problems. Brake, electrical, and broken trim and rattles haunt them. They still love it, and when they came to visit last year, it still looks awesome, but he is less than happy with it's dicey quality.

When I see my parents, I inevevitably get the question: "When you gonna get a NEW car??". Of course when we go out to dinner with them, we go in one of their cars and as we pull back into their driveway, my Dad will usually say: "Oh look! There's an antique sitting in our driveway. Oh... it's only Keith's Maxima!". I then reply: "Ha Ha... very funny." But when I take anyone in the car, they quickly agree that it is still like new and they can see why I hold on to it. I feel vindicated.

One other aside... think of the junk I could have bought back then: LeBaron, Beretta, Corsica, Taurus, Skylark, Premier, Ciera, Sable, 929, Sterling, Peugeot, Grand Am, Galant Sigma, Scorpio, Tempo, Topaz, Medallion, Lancer, 600, Dynasty, Celebrity, etc. I think I made a damn good coice (to you they probably sound like antiques!). I never expected my Maxima to last this long. And when it comes time to replace it, I will probably go the Lexus LS, GS, or ES route... for longevity, reliability, resale and dealer service. Nissan's new offerings are trying too hard to be trendy and I think will look dated quicker. Nissan's past designs may not be flashy, but they endure. Also, the cheap interiors turn me off, big time.

So, Bunny, be proud of your Maxima. Only you can fully appreciate it's virtues. And when friends and family are spending an inordinate amount of time at the dealer or they complain about repairs on a car they are still making huge payments on, just smile and grip your Max's wheel just a little tighter! I think they're just jealous.

I mean geez, when I was in HS my parents bought me an '83 Chevette CS and my car through college was an '86 Omni GLH. I'd say you are way ahead of what I was driving.

The Maxima ROCKS!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:44 AM

damn sanmax, that's an awesome story. i've owned 4 maxima's. my first was a 91' GXE, 97' SE, 99' infiniti I30t (same thing), and now i have a 94' GXE that's my spare car. they're great cars and w/ proper maintenance, can last along *** time. Still miss the 97' SE 5spd. i had so much work done to that car, it was one of my favorites. i put 100k miles on that car in 3 1/2 years. the only thing i ever replaced was the front brakes. she was great.

Bryan
Old 02-08-2003, 11:24 AM

i love my max so much. i had the chance to take my sisters 00' civic ex coupe but i decided to keep the max instead. sometimes i think i should have swapped it when my max runs crappy, but then on days that its running perfectly, i taunt every civic i see.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:35 AM

I keep telling my g/f that I will never sell my max. She has been there for me these last 2 years. I think by far my best car I love my max. Not too many down here fixed up. Everybody down here goes for WRX's, EVO's, Supras, GTIRs. Not me, want to be different. Oh, forgot about Skylines If I did decide to get another car, it will be a 2000 GTS-T Skyline. Can't really afford a GT-R.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:06 PM

Very touching story sammax. It just gets a little much when I'm getting bombed on for doing things to help maintain and improve my car. The first person who bought my car never took car of it. It started off in TN and when she drove it through snow she apparently didnt take time to rinse the car cause the salt has obviously gotten to the car. She smoked and apparently so did a lot of her friends/family because the car has some lovely staining on the headliner and a couple of cig burns. When they moved over here to Vegas, the car was never garaged, just kept out in the sun without a sunshade or tint. She would road trip in it constantly but never put the money into maintaining it.

But, my car isn't that far gone. I figure with a lot of elbow grease and a bit of time at the yards, It shouldn't be too hard to get her running and looking like a dream again.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:23 PM

Re: Stop Crying....

Originally posted by sammax89

No, you are not alone. Listen to this:

I have owned my Maxima since May '89. First big purchase out of college. I was torn between a Cressida or Legend LS... actually, although the Cressida was very responsive and refined, I was really leaning heavily toward the Legend. Driving back from a Honda dealer after ruling out the Accord LXi, I remembered that I had read some glowing tests about the Maxima. As luck would have it, I was coming upon a Nissan dealer, and the rest was history. It felt and drove like a car costing $10K more. I was hooked. It was not an easy purchase though, since at that time, there were still self imposed import quotas on Japanese cars. It was sticker or more and not much room to bargain... supply clearly outstripped demand. But I was very pleased with myself and continue to be. You get what you pay for!

I get a kick out of the fact that you were born the year I graduatd high school. It boggles my mind to think kids who were born at a time that seems so recent to ME, are now second and third owners of "my" Maxima!

Times change... I began making decent money, got married, had a couple of kids and now here I am... all grown up... and I'm still driving my 1989 Maxima. Through the '90s I owned Hondas while the Maxima was used for the weekends and sat in the garage (I used my Civic EXs to drive to the train and up to NYC... kinda like a self imposed beater). This explains the less than 100K miles on my 1989.

To date... no exaggeration... I have never taken the Max back to the dealer for one single problem. The most money I've ever spent on it was to replace all the belts at 75K to be safe. Sure, plugs, oil, brake pads, coolant, etc have been meticulously maintained. The car has never leaked or burned one drop of oil, or coolant or trans fluid. When I say the car is original and in flawless condition, I ain't kidding. I keep waiting for something to happen, so I can go buy a new car, but I just can't part with a machine so perfect in execution and reliability. Never hit, never painted, and it runs as smoothly as new.

I read alot about all the troubles people have with their own Gen3s and I think it is because they are so rough on them. That is certainly their perogative and there is nothin' wrong with using it anyway they see fit, but it does explain alot of the problems that crop up. I don't think the Maxima was built to withstand constant hard-charging and racing.

But I really do expect that some day my Maxima will give up the ghost (and since it's so old, it won't take much)... it has to, doesn't it? When that happens I will junk it, or sell it, but while it still looks and feels like a new car (owing alot to Nissan's overbuilding it and using it as a test bed for the Infiniti brand... just as Toyota did with the Cressida for Lexus) I will hold on to it. This generation Maxima was built to be world class... not built to a price like most cars are. In 1989, the Maxima was world class. I drive my dad's 2000 SE and it feels and drives alot nicer still and my wife's Pathfinder LE is terrific, but my '89 still holds it's own.

My friends up north cannot beleive I still have my Maxima. One close friend (now an attorney) from HS bought a spectacular BMW 540i a couple of years ago... Cabernet with a biscuit interior. It looks like a million bucks. He and his wife love it... when it's not having problems. Brake, electrical, and broken trim and rattles haunt them. They still love it, and when they came to visit last year, it still looks awesome, but he is less than happy with it's dicey quality.

When I see my parents, I inevevitably get the question: "When you gonna get a NEW car??". Of course when we go out to dinner with them, we go in one of their cars and as we pull back into their driveway, my Dad will usually say: "Oh look! There's an antique sitting in our driveway. Oh... it's only Keith's Maxima!". I then reply: "Ha Ha... very funny." But when I take anyone in the car, they quickly agree that it is still like new and they can see why I hold on to it. I feel vindicated.

One other aside... think of the junk I could have bought back then: LeBaron, Beretta, Corsica, Taurus, Skylark, Premier, Ciera, Sable, 929, Sterling, Peugeot, Grand Am, Galant Sigma, Scorpio, Tempo, Topaz, Medallion, Lancer, 600, Dynasty, Celebrity, etc. I think I made a damn good coice (to you they probably sound like antiques!). I never expected my Maxima to last this long. And when it comes time to replace it, I will probably go the Lexus LS, GS, or ES route... for longevity, reliability, resale and dealer service. Nissan's new offerings are trying too hard to be trendy and I think will look dated quicker. Nissan's past designs may not be flashy, but they endure. Also, the cheap interiors turn me off, big time.

So, Bunny, be proud of your Maxima. Only you can fully appreciate it's virtues. And when friends and family are spending an inordinate amount of time at the dealer or they complain about repairs on a car they are still making huge payments on, just smile and grip your Max's wheel just a little tighter! I think they're just jealous.

I mean geez, when I was in HS my parents bought me an '83 Chevette CS and my car through college was an '86 Omni GLH. I'd say you are way ahead of what I was driving.

The Maxima ROCKS!
I am the original owner of mine until last year it was my backup car. Techinically I still own my little brother just drives it full time!
Old 02-08-2003, 02:04 PM

Re: I Love My Max

what are they driving a honda.. CIVIC coupe badged SiR??
dont pay attention to them our timeless styled beast is better then their POS's
Old 02-08-2003, 02:58 PM

couldnt as for a more reliable car

My pop bought the car brand new, back in 91, hell the sticker is still in the glove box. He was driving up util about 4yrs ago and bought a 2000 se. a while back we bought a 95 wrangler pretty much my pops mess around car. in the 5yrs we've had it, gone through 2 transmissions, radiator, clutch, and other pretty major stuff. only major repair done to the 91 was a new clutch at 120k and new cv's. I get a kick watching my friends get hondas or mitsubishi's, who all claim i drive a pos, just because of how old it is. most fail to realize what a good car the 3rd gens are, and continue to be.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a 90 se with 120k and no problem until it was in an accident. I then bought a 92 se w/68k and at 80k, the vtc is ticking and I need a new trans. I guese that 92-94 were bad years
Old 02-08-2003, 07:55 PM

I guese that 92-94 were bad years

speak for yourself im keepin my 92 with 5 gears for the rest of my life and sure people make fun of me but then i smoke um and they shut up. can you say "sleeper"
Old 02-09-2003, 12:28 AM

My Max recently hit 90,000 miles. Still running great of course.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:02 AM

Hey, Bunny...

But, my car isn't that far gone. I figure with a lot of elbow grease and a bit of time at the yards, It shouldn't be too hard to get her running and looking like a dream again.
Don't be discouraged. Listen, I looked at your homepage (one of these days I'll have one) and admittedly your car looks nothin' like mine. And after your description now, I can see why those close to you might look at you like you're nuts. But like you, I see a diamond in the rough.

A Maxima is a Maxima...a classy sport sedan, not some econobox. It will be rewarding to bring back the car you have to the condition you want. My cars at your age were new... but clearly inferior (the GLH was awesome but clearly trouble-prone). I paid $10,200 for the GLH in '86. I am sure you're no where close to that with your Max.

Just remember... without a car payment every month, your stress level will be a helluva lot less than what it will be in order to get your Maxima back from the brink. It would take ALOT of $$ in repairs to equal what a car payment will set 'ya back (multiply it out by 12, then by 36, 48 or 60!). I've got a big mortgage, large payment on the Pathy (3yr loan), and lots of other expenses. My '89 is a stress reliever everyday 'cuz it doesn't cost me squat It's funny, the affordability issue for my wife and I is not an issue, but it's still tough to write out those huge checks every month. Watching the checking register balance drop so fast at the end of the month is sometimes startling. I don't know what I'd feel if we had credit card debt on top of that!

And that money you save now by not having a big car payment will help you to be prepared to treat yourself to something REALLY nice when you start making big bucks.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:23 AM

Re: Hey, Bunny...

i get compliments on my max all the time, sometimes even offers from people who want to buy it. No one ever disses it, at least not to my face.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:19 PM

The sad part is I already have all that body paneling, the clear corners, money for a whole new suspension. I mean really the only thing left I want to do would be the interior, exhaust, and a swap. But that's what my family is trying to talk me out of. They see it as me throwing money down the tubes. I see it as a way to run with rustangs and crumaros for under 5k.

Stupid non-supportive family...

*shakes fists*
Old 02-23-2003, 12:16 PM

The sad part is I already have all that body paneling, the clear corners, money for a whole new suspension. I mean really the only thing left I want to do would be the interior, exhaust, and a swap. But that's what my family is trying to talk me out of. They see it as me throwing money down the tubes. I see it as a way to run with rustangs and crumaros for under 5k.
Stupid non-supportive family...

*shakes fists*
lol. well if you look at it as a cheap race car, then dont bother. Those are cars built with one purpose in mind: to haul a$$! yours is a vehicle that is supposed to be a sporty daily commuter sedan with handling to get you through most daily maneuvers and reliability to help you wake up in the morning every morning for a very very long time, start your car up without problems and go about your daily business. Since I got my car almost 2years ago, I have NEVER had a morning that I went outside to start it up and it didnt start or gave me problems that gave me bad dreams (well except my tranny) Heck I added a remote start to help me out on wintery mornings and it still starts like a champ and after warming up says "Ok boss, I'm ready whenever you are!" My one advice. DO practical mods:

Preventives:
Timing belt if you have one, other belts, hoses, battery cables and connectors, spark plug cables, distributor etc.
Then:
FULL suspension upgrade.
New CV joints (keep an eye on the rack & pinion and tie rods)
Full exhaust upgrade: chances are it will probably rust out anyways since it has been driven in snow.
Full brake upgrade

Hopefully time will allow you to do these things at your own pace before they quit on you.
Good luck and keep your head up! You ARE a maxima owner and it's a privilege. Do you think this site would exist if we all didnt think these cars were special?
Old 02-23-2003, 03:21 PM

Well I know that I'll never run with a 3Z, but I just want something that's a bit higher performance than what I have right now. And I phrased that wrong, so far I'm just replacing stuff as part of normal maintenance with aftermarket stuff. But the fam thinks that's money down the tubes.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:37 PM

Re: Re: I Love My Max

along with sammax I to once had to drive around a chevette. and even thoughI'm having a little trouble with my max right now I still love it, I though about getting another car but would not sell my max for another car.it's is truely a unique automobile and I'm gonna hang on to mine forever
Old 02-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Old 03-07-2003, 07:17 PM

You guys might have remember this but I posted up a post saying that i might be selling my max for a skyline (R33). Well after a couple of months driving the thing, it made me realise that I love the car. I'm going to be really hard pressed to find a similar car with all these extras in it.

For example when I bought the car ($8000 AUS) it was full optioned:

- Power windows (1 rear window not working)
- Power seats
- Real keyless entry (I laugh at people who say ohhh i can't find my keys)
- 6 cylinder
- Sunroof
- Climate control
- 4 speaker Sound system
- Power steering

Most of those features you would find in a more expensive european luxury car. For a student I found myself real lucky to get a car like this (make me feel like a million bucks everytime I drive max around!!).

Even though its the 3rd family car, but its the first real car i ever owned. I love it.

Besides if I bought a skyline, and parked it at a train station, I would most like like not see it ever again.

I'll probably keep on driving max (its just under 200ks), and when I can afford a skyline, I'll probably either invest that money or buy a skyline but either way I will still keep maxxy because everytime I go into my garage I always fall inlove with it every time i see her.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by chavez
You guys might have remember this but I posted up a post saying that i might be selling my max for a skyline (R33). Well after a couple of months driving the thing, it made me realise that I love the car. I'm going to be really hard pressed to find a similar car with all these extras in it.

- Power seats
- 6 cylinder
- Sunroof
- Climate control
- 4 speaker Sound system
- Power steering

Most of those features you would find in a more expensive european luxury car. For a student I found myself real lucky to get a car like this (make me feel like a million bucks everytime I drive max around!!).

Even though its the 3rd family car, but its the first real car i ever owned. I love it.

Besides if I bought a skyline, and parked it at a train station, I would most like like not see it ever again.

I'll probably keep on driving max (its just under 200ks), and when I can afford a skyline, I'll probably either invest that money or buy a skyline but either way I will still keep maxxy because everytime I go into my garage I always fall inlove with it every time i see her.
I feel the same way
I love my 3rd gen
Old 03-08-2003, 07:23 AM

Yeah, I've got to say, I do love my Maxima a lot!!
Old 03-09-2003, 12:11 AM

- Power seats
- 6 cylinder
- Sunroof
- Climate control
- 4 speaker Sound system
- Power steering

I hear ya Chavez. I wante to get a skyline, get them over here cheap!!! But, Everytime I see my Max, fall in love with her more & more.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:12 AM

I took my car for a spin today (if you were watching the melbourne formula 1 today on the idiot box, you would have noticed that it was really wet).

I love my car when its wet... rrrrrr it grips the road like a cat (mmmm bridgestone g-grids). this is the only time i put my wheels into a wheelspin coz it don't wear out your tyres (doing that alot today!!).

I was driving in the car park at my old work place (its at a shopping center) and there was this hot chick waving at me... then i realised that she wanted to give me her car park. Too bad I was leaving Should have got her phone number
Old 03-09-2003, 08:20 AM

I took my car for a spin today (if you were watching the melbourne formula 1 today on the idiot box, you would have noticed that it was really wet).

I love my car when its wet... rrrrrr it grips the road like a cat (mmmm bridgestone g-grids). this is the only time i put my wheels into a wheelspin coz it don't wear out your tyres (doing that alot today!!).

I was driving in the car park at my old work place (its at a shopping center) and there was this hot chick waving at me... then i realised that she wanted to give me her car park. Too bad I was leaving Should have got her phone number

I'm guessing a "Car Park" is a "Parking Lot"?