4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ticking sound at front left side near inner cv joint/ trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Ticking sound at front left side near inner cv joint/ trans

Hello. I’ve had this ticking sound over a year, can’t seem to track it down. I've gone through a ton of threads and checked things that were suggested to no avail. Details below:

1998 SE, auto

It is a ticking sound from the front LH side. I hear it when driving, gets faster with speed so it’s something rotational. it is most noticeable when I am in the left lane next to a barrier/ wall or something that echoes the sound back. Sound is the same if wheels are turned/ straight. Sound is there at all speeds. CV axle boots show no wear. Axles both replaced within last few years.

First I rotated tires, sound did not change/ move.
Got new front tires since then. No change.
Replaced front brake pads and rotors, no change.
Attempted to remove speed sensor to see if dirt/ something was rubbing on the abs ring (idea from old thread), but it’s corroded onto the spindle and I didn’t want to get into that, I recently drilled out the right side sensor for another reason and that was no fun.

FYI: unrelated work done: recently replaced front strut assemblies, tie rod ends, sway bar links. No change.

The other day I Jacked the car up and put it in drive with wheels off. Sound is still there. Seems to be coming from the LH inner cv joint/ trans area. Just replaced LH cv axle today. No change.

any new ideas/ suggestions?

Last edited by 98maxBK; 03-07-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:02 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by 98maxBK
Hello. I’ve had this ticking sound over a year, can’t seem to track it down.

1998 SE, auto

It is a ticking sound from the front LH side. I hear it when driving, gets faster with speed so it’s something rotational. it is most noticeable when I am in the left lane next to a barrier/ wall or something that echoes the sound back. Sound is the same if wheels are turned/ straight. Sound is there at all speeds. CV axle boots show no wear. Axles both replaced within last few years.

First I rotated tires, sound did not change/ move.
Got new front tires since then. No change.
Replaced front brake pads and rotors, no change.
Attempted to remove speed sensor to see if dirt/ something was rubbing on the abs ring, but it’s corroded onto the spindle and I didn’t want to get into that, I recently drilled out the right side sensor for another reason and that was no fun.

FYI: unrelated work done: recently replaced front strut assemblies, tie rod ends, sway bar links. No change.

The other day I Jacked the car up and put it in drive with wheels off. Sound is still there. Seems to be coming from the LH inner cv joint/ trans area. Just replaced LH cv axle today. No change.

any new ideas/ suggestions?

I've read that the output shaft bearing in the transmission can fail. Symptoms are clicking and also an oil leak from that area.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I've read that the output shaft bearing in the transmission can fail. Symptoms are clicking and also an oil leak from that area.
Hmm, well i'm not leaking any trans. fluid. Any other symptoms i would notice while driving?

My trans shifts very good with the exception of the slight lag when flooring it off a rolling stop, which from what I have read is normal/ common with the auto. My car pulls perfect from a stop and shifts like butter otherwise. FYI: I have noticed the clicking for over a year, say over 15k miles.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Come to think of it, upon removing the old axle i noticed a round spring hanging around the axle seal where it goes into the trans. I pulled out out, looked at it then sort of carefully placed it back in before installing the new axle. I have done some research and it appears the spring is part of the seal. Have you heard of the spring in an axle seal making any sort of noise similar to mine?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:10 PM

Old seal- notice hanging spring.

Seal removed. Ball bearings look clean. Small nick on left side of the inner tube/ shaft not sure what to call it.

New seal installed. Ticking sound still present. No change. ATF leak fixed though.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:47 PM

Where's the circlip on the end of the CV (Trans End)? I would check your ABS sensor or Brake Pads spring clips.... Or suspect it being your R/H axle bearing.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Where's the circlip on the end of the CV (Trans End)? I would check your ABS sensor or Brake Pads spring clips.... Or suspect it being your R/H axle bearing.
Clip is there just sitting low I guess and not in photo, that would be bad.

Recently did front brake job, removed and cleaned cleaned clips and springs, no change in sound after.

I did clean some gunk off the abs sensor inside the hub when I had the axle out, didn’t remove and clean it as it’s corroded in there (didn’t feel like drilling it out, recently did that for the the RH sensor for other reasons).

Really sounds like the left side, but the bearing on the RH axle may be my next assumption.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:07 PM

Sorry I meant L/H side bearing my apology.....
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Sorry I meant L/H side bearing my apology.....
Bearing inside the trans? The left side doesn’t have the carrier bearing like the right side because it’s long. Or do you mean wheel bearing?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 PM

No the Hub bearing in the knuckle!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:56 PM

That’s what I was afraid of.

Do people have any luck with junkyard spindles having good bearings?
Old 04-11-2020, 01:34 PM

Jacked up front end and wiggled the wheel today. 12 to 6. Tight as can be, no play whatsoever.

Come to think of it, when i had the axle out, the seal on the inner side of the hub bearing did look a little greasy. Is it possible the seal went bad/ got damaged and the bearing is not fully greased hence the sound, but not quite worn yet where it has play?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:45 AM

You double checked your brake pad clips security as well as the brake caliper, torque member security?
Old 04-20-2020, 12:05 PM

I changed pads, rotors, removed and cleaned the clips and re-installed a month or so ago. No change.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:20 PM

View of hub from inner face of spindle with axle removed

Took it all apart again yesterday. Inner Hub seal is slightly torn with grease leaking out. Perhaps some dirt is in there and that’s my problem. Come to think of it I now notice a very very faint roaring/ cupped tire kind of sound when turning slightly right on a ramp which Could be the beginnings of the bearing going bad.

Spun the hub by hand with the axle and brake caliper off, seemed smooth/ no noises. Again I didn’t feel any play.

Also cleaned inner portion of ABS sensor off. No change in sound.

Next move: swap out spindle with one from the junkyard and cross my fingers.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:04 PM

Update 4/17/21

Have recently been hearing a wheel bearing like roaring from the same side, LH.

Took a chance and got a spindle from the junkyard. Lucked out, it had the abs sensor and harness intact. Bearing/ hub seemed tight. Not bad for $75 delivered (eBay junkyard)

Swapped the spindle and like magic all sounds are gone. No roaring, no ticking, finally. I've been chasing this for quite a while and no one I drive with seems to ever hear it, but its like Chinese water torture for me to drive in the left lane next to a barrier when the sound gets bounced back.

When old spindle was removed i could feel a touch of play in the wheel bearing, but again it must have been so slight that it passed the "shake the wheel" test when still on the car. Ticking must have been from the bad hub as you suggested CMax03. Anyway, all is good now, thanks for the help everyone. And yes i will go for an alignment first thing next week, need new tires anyway.