4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Flooded cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Flooded cylinder

I've got an engine code for random misfire. I changed the plugs. One of the plugs was wet and smelled like gas. I checked the ignition and there's a strong spark. When I start the engine I can smell gas. I put my hand at the tail pipe and within a couple seconds it's coated in gas. I'm thinking the fuel injector is bad. Before I go through the process of changing it I wonder if y'all have any information of other things I might check first. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Nope ... you’re exhibiting the classic, typical and well documented symptoms of failed injectors.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:15 PM
JvG

That is definitely a leaking injector.

is it in the side near the radiator, or under the manifold.

Replace all three if it's under the manifold.

Can you live without your car for a week or two?

I know where you can have the injectors rebuilt to be as good as new
Old 12-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
That is definitely a leaking injector.

is it in the side near the radiator, or under the manifold.

Replace all three if it's under the manifold.

Can you live without your car for a week or two?

I know where you can have the injectors rebuilt to be as good as new
It's under the manifold. If anyone knows a good write up for how to pull that off I'd appreciate if you could direct me. What's the place to have them rebuilt? Thanks a bunch everyone!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ericyoung3
It's under the manifold. If anyone knows a good write up for how to pull that off I'd appreciate if you could direct me. What's the place to have them rebuilt? Thanks a bunch everyone!
Removal isn't too bad. If you're mechanically inclined, you'll figure it out. The hardest part is removing the two bolts on the support brackets behind the manifold near the firewall. Another tricky part is removing the U-shaped coolant hose just under the manifold near the TB. A lot of people simply cut this U shaped coolant hose and then either install a new one, or install a coolant bypass with a double sided barb. Much easier to deal with in the future.

Follow the instruction in the FSM for removal of the UIM. Can't go wrong. Free to download in my signature.

Here's some tips regarding removal and installation of the injectors. The screws holding down the caps are soft and strip easily. Either use a ratchet with a Philips screw bit adapter and push down with the palm of your hand on top of the ratchet as you unloosen, or get yourself some JIS screwdrivers as regular phillips screwdrivers were not meant for these screws.

And when you put the injectors back in, be sure to lube the injector o-ring with some engine oil so it "pops" right in. If you have to force the injector in, you're doing it wrong.

As suggested, replace all 3 while you're in there.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:23 PM
JvG

The screws which hold attach the injector caps can be loosened with a small vicegrip placed horizontal.

​​​​​​Peasee check out the website for Injector RX.

They rebuilt my injectors . I was very satisfied with their services. They charget 18 dollars per injector.

Be aware that the egr system can get choked with carbon. Which causes a check engine light. Also the knock sensor lives under the manifold. It's easy to replace it when the manifold is off. Not when it's on. Also the valve cover's should be replaced while you are in there anyway. Or you will need to remove the manifold again. Which is not fun.

You should also clean out the throttle body and the idle air control valve. They are attached to the manifold.

All this sounds like a PITA. That's true. Yet if you do all the stuff I've mentioned your car will be more dependableand run like new.

Total cost will be about 200 dollars.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:48 PM

It`s the classic injectors failing or have failed. The injectors pintle caps started leaking and check and see the o-ring, if it`s also possibly went out. it explains the massive fuel dump or runoff into the tailpipe.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 12-07-2020 at 04:54 PM.