4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this eBay listed power steering pump legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 06:17 PM

Is this eBay listed power steering pump legit?

My dad got a quote from his mechanic for $250 CAD just for the pump, and this one is only $150. Am I safe to use this one or is it aftermarket and to be avoided, or something?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Power-Steeri...y/231999437573

Also, it's not bad etiquette to bring a part to a mechanic, is it?

Thanks

Last edited by 90sWheels; 01-14-2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: got the URL wrong first time
Old 01-14-2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 90sWheels
My dad got a quote from his mechanic for $250 CAD just for the pump, and this one is only $150. Am I safe to use this one or is it aftermarket and to be avoided, or something?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Power-Steeri...y/231999437573

Also, it's not bad etiquette to bring a part to a mechanic, is it?

Thanks
I did the exact thing for my 98 Infiniti Q45, after my previously replaced used one, seized in the middle of the road. The price shows $98 USD. I spent $120 for one without a pulley. Brought it to the mechanic that same week.

Parts are parts. Mechanics always going to sell the store brand price, and upsell. I order most of what I can fix, off rock auto and eBay for much less.

The important part is making sure the install is done properly, which in my case it was... except the power steering fluid was low after they changed it. Wasn’t fully topped up. Heard a rumbly gurgling noise, thought my new pump was crap. A few extra ounces of power steering fluid resolved that.

Just be sure to get your manufacture date on the door jam; if pump fits from 5/97 or before 1/1997, be sure to get the one that fits your date... to avoid hassle and paying for labor on something that might not fit.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 01-14-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 PM

To add details, the steering seems fine except for a few symptoms. Sometimes the pump makes a squealing noise on start. Sometimes a smell of burnt rubber comes from the passenger side (and invades the cabin). One of the hoses coming out of the reservoir is obviously soaked in fluid. The leak seems to be quite slow.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:20 PM

Thanks, @97_GXE
My car's manufacture date is 8/96. I guess I'll message the seller and ask if it fits.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:10 PM

I would not be so quick to condemn your pump. A worn belt, or a belt not properly tensioned can be the cause of squeal on start up. Also low fluid can be the cause of noisy pump at start up or during normal operation. Fix your leaks first and make sure your belt is good and tensioned properly before replacing the pump.

A quick test of your belt condition would be to have an assistant start your car while you are at the engine bay and pour some water on the ps belt. Start the car, and pour water on the belt. If the squeal goes away while u are pouring water on the belt, replace the belt and have it tensioned properly

Last edited by dsonnylal; 01-15-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:42 PM

Yeah, I have been reading on here how people do steering fluid flushes. My dad's mechanic said the pump needed changing but my confidence in him is not so high. He was unable to change the belt, claiming that he had a problem loosening one of the bolts. Later on, I watch a video of a guy doing a pump change (CarsNToys) and he mentions that the tensioner bolt is reverse-thread
Soo... I hope he didn't wreck that bolt.

I have to go talk to this guy and ask what work he actually did to the car because I'm also really worried about the cooling system. Tranny fluid looked red, so I lucked out there, and it seems to shift okay. At bare minimum I should probably change both fluids unless the mechanic shows me records of having done them recently.

The squeal only happens rarely these days. It could be the change in weather adding more moisture to the equation - but either way it's a good call to change the belt ASAP. And I guess the soft hose that is soaked should be changed and maybe the reservoir. The fluid change itself will probably be a big help, right? Is that a reasonable plan, or should all the soft lines be changed? The biggest worry right now, honestly, is the toxic fumes I'm forced to intermittently huff while driving. (Good thing I don't do much driving!).

One more tidbit: my parents had this habit of turning the wheel all the way to the extreme points when maneuvering, and I had heard that this is a bad practice.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:37 PM

I Just changed both P/S pumps on the 2003 Maxima and the 1998 Maxima....The ebay pictured p/s is absolutely correct. I replaced my 5.5th Gen with a new Hitachi unit from Rock Auto with cost me $240, rebuilt the removed 5.5th gen P/S pump and installed it on the 1998...The thread on the adjustment tensioner isn't left-hand threads. As you turn it clockwise the pump moves downward loosening the belt. Turning the bolt counter-clockwise raises the pump increase the belt tension. First thing first though... that tensioner slider block bolt better be loosened first before you start trying to loosen the tensioner bolt at the bottom.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I Just changed both P/S pumps on the 2003 Maxima and the 1998 Maxima....The ebay pictured p/s is absolutely correct. I replaced my 5.5th Gen with a new Hitachi unit from Rock Auto with cost me $240, rebuilt the removed 5.5th gen P/S pump and installed it on the 1998...The thread on the adjustment tensioner isn't left-hand threads. As you turn it clockwise the pump moves downward loosening the belt. Turning the bolt counter-clockwise raises the pump increase the belt tension. First thing first though... that tensioner slider block bolt better be loosened first before you start trying to loosen the tensioner bolt at the bottom.
Rebuilding pumps, eh? Hardcore

This pump is blackout - adds 3hp to engine? - and even cheaper.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Power-Steeri...53.m1438.l2649

And nothing wrong with these cooling hoses, right? I just got a quote from Lordco for about double this price. Their PS Pump price was $400!! Radiator: $244 (when it looks like I can get an eBay one shipped for $100-150). I guess the worry would be that the rad would get damaged in shipping.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-NISSAN-M...p/184309271113

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radiator-For...g/271423780305
Old 02-08-2021, 05:33 AM

There is another question I have about buying parts. A lot of parts say they are "35% off!" kind of thing, is this because it's winter and people don't like working on their cars right now or is it just for hype? Will that radiator still be $140 shipped to Canada come summer?

I still haven't gotten around to getting a real mechanic to put eyes on my car. And I don't have jack stands (or pavement) at the moment, so there's no point in me trying to figure out the steering leak myself.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 PM

I put one on my car. Its been leaking worse since. 🤷‍♂️ im going to rebuild my stock one and put it back on.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by battlestylespl
I put one on my car. Its been leaking worse since. 🤷‍♂️ im going to rebuild my stock one and put it back on.
I see

What is the rebuilding process like?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Black Lion

amazon also sells the pump, I paid about $150 for mine.. no issues.