4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAI Install Today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 04:47 PM

CAI Install Today...

I love the increased throttle response and at WOT forget it, sounds awesome and pulls a lot harder!! Raced a 95-96 auto 10 minutes ago and destroyed it, Im auto too. The sound this thing adds is amazing, but I have one problem...
At higher RPMs, like 4000+, I hear a kinda loud vibrating sounds. I cant tell if it is the piping against the hole, or if its the wheel well lining (the filter was pressed up against it in there.
I'm hoping it is the piping cuz all I will have to do is put some rubber or something in there. I didnt put the edging that came with the CAI because I couldnt get it to seat on the edge of the hole. It was too hard to bend.
Someone give me a suggestion before I go taking my battery out again, or opening up the wheel well.
Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: CAI Install Today...

Originally posted by araffio
I love the increased throttle response and at WOT forget it, sounds awesome and pulls a lot harder!! Raced a 95-96 auto 10 minutes ago and destroyed it, Im auto too. The sound this thing adds is amazing, but I have one problem...
At higher RPMs, like 4000+, I hear a kinda loud vibrating sounds. I cant tell if it is the piping against the hole, or if its the wheel well lining (the filter was pressed up against it in there.
I'm hoping it is the piping cuz all I will have to do is put some rubber or something in there. I didnt put the edging that came with the CAI because I couldnt get it to seat on the edge of the hole. It was too hard to bend.
Someone give me a suggestion before I go taking my battery out again, or opening up the wheel well.
Thanks!!
You should definately put the edging around the hole which came with the kit. If it isn't seated on the edge, it doesn't matter, that pipe isn't going to stay in that exact same spot forever. It's going to get bumped, scraped, and jerked around because it's attached to the engine of an automobile. Have a friend work the car while you look into the hood. Have him put it in P, R, and D and gun it. If your engine doesn't move, I'll give you $50. At around 4000+ rpm is the CAI's naturally frequency I guess. The sound definately changes from a loud revving to almost a panicked ripping/revving sound.? I know I'm describing it badly, but it's normal to have a sound change around that rpm range. If you hear a large banging or hitting sound, I would do as you suggested before and make sure the piping has some support around the hole. Also, for the lower end of the pipe which is in the engine bay, make sure you push it as far towards the passenger compartment so it is resting on the metal which goes up towards the top of your driver's front strut tower. This is the easiest position for a CAI I've learned (mine wouldn't even fit with the filter on until I became *frustrated* and pushed the lower end in this direction). Good luck on the install and enjoy the sound, it's one of the CAI's best qualities.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:16 PM

yeah - you should try to hold it in place with a big glop of silicone or sumthing
Old 02-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: CAI Install Today...

I noticed on mine that at the bend in the tube, it was hitting the wheel well surface behind it. I squeezed in a heel insert (for shoes) in between and the violent growl at WOT has much less of that shaking quality like something is not quite secure...
Old 02-09-2002, 05:21 PM

Ok, tomorrow Ill take the battery out and wedge some rubber or silicone or whatever I can in between the piping and the hole. Hopefully this will get rid of the loud vibrating sound.
I was just curious to see if anyone had experienced the wheel well lining vibrating, but it doesnt seem like it would make this much noise, its definitely the piping.
Thanks for the help fellas, Im gonna go out now and enjoy my faster Maxima for the night.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: CAI Install Today...

Originally posted by Xtreme5053

You should definately put the edging around the hole which came with the kit.
i would listen to this guy, i have a feeling he is an experienced cai installer, btw you can get most of the rubber piece on, just stretch it a little with a screwdriver, then when you put the piping through it will hold it in place
Old 02-09-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: CAI Install Today...

Originally posted by RedMax95
i would listen to this guy, i have a feeling he is an experienced cai installer, btw you can get most of the rubber piece on, just stretch it a little with a screwdriver, then when you put the piping through it will hold it in place
I would put the rubber piece in around the hole but that would require me to take the piping back out, and theres no way im doing that. Im gonna wedge some rubber or plastic in there and see how it works. God I love my Max more now!