4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SC Installed! First-Drive Impression:

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 01:51 AM
Licensed to Spell

SC Installed! First-Drive Impression:

Well, we finally finished the supercharger and I took the car out tonight. I thought I'd post my thoughts on my first drive experience in case anyone is interested. I already typed it all out for another thread where I have been giving updates so please find it at the bottom of page 5:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&pagenumber=5

Sorry, I just don't feel like typing it again.

If anyone has any questions/comments,don't hesitate.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:03 AM

copy and paste !
Old 02-13-2002, 06:34 AM

Glad to hear you got it done and are having fun. Just remember is a 4 door sedan, with a little spunk now. Lots of people around here think maxima's are kickass drag machines, which they are far from being. They are very nice cars with a little pep, which is why i have one. You'll notice, if you keep your foot out of it, the SC actually makes gas mileage pretty good, i average about 23 with mine. Albeit, i don't go picking on mustangs like most guys around here. I'll leave my own stang for that. Congrats on the charger install, and welcome to the boost ***** club, you gonna be the first to give that 2.67 a go?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:11 AM
SLOW

If you don't have anything else to go picking on Mustangs in, like me, then you pick on them in your Maxima. Just gotta be careful you don't bite off more than you can chew...
Old 02-13-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
If you don't have anything else to go picking on Mustangs in, like me, then you pick on them in your Maxima. Just gotta be careful you don't bite off more than you can chew...
It can be just as fun testing the limits though even if you lose

SuDZ
Old 02-13-2002, 08:40 AM
BlkCat

Did you get a Blitz BOV or are you just using the Bosch BOV that came with the kit? In another thread I posted I fiddled with the Blitz to make it hold the boost longer and the car definitely doesn't hardly lag at all.

Btw my engine idle has become quite low...hovering around 550 rpm, so I think it might be my sparkplugs (still stock). I've not replaced the plugs by myself on the Max so far. I took a look into the Haynes manual and I can see that with the valve cover off you have access to 3 plugs. With the engine mounted sideways I guess that mean you have to take off the air plenum to get at the other 3?

Old 02-13-2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I just find most of the bragging and showboating a little comical thats all. If you want a fast car...buy one. If you want a car to handle like a formula 1 car and accelerate like a demon, well sorry a maxima isn't the car for ya. Not trashin them by any means, i love mine, but i accept it for what it is. to each his own. I wish there was more after market support for these cars though, well compared to honda and acura ... etc.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by BlkCat
I took a look into the Haynes manual and I can see that with the valve cover off you have access to 3 plugs. With the engine mounted sideways I guess that mean you have to take off the air plenum to get at the other 3?
Nope. You only have to remove the rear coils to access the rear plugs.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:39 AM
BlkCat

Originally posted by mzmtg

Nope. You only have to remove the rear coils to access the rear plugs.
Thanks mzmtg! I feel better now!

Btw I miss the stickies!

Old 02-13-2002, 01:57 PM

Nice, wish I could get an SC. Probably not going to have the money for that anytime soon. Take Care
Old 02-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by BlkCat
Did you get a Blitz BOV or are you just using the Bosch BOV that came with the kit? In another thread I posted I fiddled with the Blitz to make it hold the boost longer and the car definitely doesn't hardly lag at all.

Btw my engine idle has become quite low...hovering around 550 rpm, so I think it might be my sparkplugs (still stock). I've not replaced the plugs by myself on the Max so far. I took a look into the Haynes manual and I can see that with the valve cover off you have access to 3 plugs. With the engine mounted sideways I guess that mean you have to take off the air plenum to get at the other 3?

No BOV. Do you really think I should get one? Is it for performance or more for wear and tear? All 6 plugs are easy to get to. You will need a pretty long extension for the rear three though.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by RB26DETT
copy and paste !

Just for you RB:

copied in its entirety from: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&pagenumber=5 :

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"
First drive experience!!
Hey, it's only 1 am!! It's early! Well, I got home around 7 or 8, torqued the drain plug, filled her up with 4.25 qts Mobile 1, swapped out my G-Force ECU for my stock one (that has to be one of the biggest chores!), and then went through the instructions step by step, line by line one last time. Everything looked good. I did what they said and turned the key to 'on' and everything seemed fine. I started 'Mod Max' over and it started right over. I didn't know what to expect for the V2 sound as I had never heard one before. I heard a V1 at Stillen day last year, but not a V2. Well, I don't even know how to state it. At idle, I'd call it a light steady cricket sound. Definately noticable but nothing that distracting. Nothing 'cool' by any means but at least not overly distracting. I double checked for any leaks (oil, vacuum), the belt, etc. and it looked like I was all good to go. The directions say to do a quick lap and come back and check everything once again. I felt so confident with my install, I went for a 45-60 minute cruz. I drove it normally at first. There is absolutely no difference when driven normally. Nothing. You wouldn't even know it's there. Even the crickets go away beleive it or not. It is louder at idle than while driving. (?) Then I went up to the business park and did some straight run *****-out flooring. From a stop, from a roll, etc. Well, I have to admit, the power is definately noticable but I'd say it's probably 65-70% of what I wanted/hoped for. Maybe I am just too picky or expected too much. But don't get me wrong, you feel it and it's fun. The best way to describe it is it pulls proportionally hard to the RPMs. I feel like when I first floor it, nothing. Then as the RPMs build, you are pulled harder and harder to red line and then when it shifts, you kind of start over again. Never really a kick you in the @$$ at any one moment, rather a constant, steady, building pull. Then we cruised around on the highway and side streets. Although not typically my style I tried to innitate a few races. Most people ignored me but a Lexus GS bit. I didn't get if it was a 300 or 400. I won for sure but there was too much traffic to make it fair. Then after a few more strikes, I got a Mustang to bite. We were on. This was open road and pretty fair. I smoked him but it's possible he wasn't floored all the way or perhaps he had the V6 - and it was a curvey road so handling did play a role, not just straight line speed. Anyway, not typically my style as I said before. But fun.

Everything with the install seems 100% fine. The only problem was when I honked my horn tonight, it made the most aweful sound! It appears when I relocated it, I had it touching the wall I mounted it on. I simply bent it by hand and wa-la, problem solved. So, far (fingers crossed), that's it.

I am sooo stoked. I had a great night! I feel really good. Really good that I have an SC in my car, really good that my best friend and I did it all ourselves, really good that I saved the install money, really good that no greese monkeys touched my car and the absolute best is: it feels damn good that I now get to rub it in the face of everyone who told me I couldn't do it myself!

Well, thanks for listening guys. Sorry I rambled on a little here. I just wanted to share my first night. Thanks a million for everything.

-Josh

P.s. I withdraw my statement I made about Adam at Stillen earlier. He has been sick and he called me immediately when he got in this mornming and he is overnighting my stuff. (Vacuum hose, a new drainback hose, etc.) I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

P.s.s. Spark plug gap please?

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""
Old 02-15-2002, 07:09 AM
BlkCat

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

No BOV. Do you really think I should get one? Is it for performance or more for wear and tear? All 6 plugs are easy to get to. You will need a pretty long extension for the rear three though.
I've noticed quite a difference between the Blitz DD BOV and that stock Bosch unit. My Max feels alot stronger now than before when I had that threaded bolt almost to the top. I didn't know it made that much of a difference. Also it looks good too!