4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with popcharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 02:54 PM

need help with popcharger

Hey peoples,

Newbie on board. Just got my max a couple of weeks ago. I bought a cone filter today, what you guys seem to call a popcharger. I'm tryin to stick it in but there are two sensors that are buggin me. the MAFS sensor and the one thats inside the stock filter box. What do i do with these plugs? I'm most curious about the one in the filter box. Is it some kind of a temp sensor? Is it safe to leave it unplugged. Please lemme know. Any info would be grrreat Right now im afraid to unplug anything.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:31 PM

You might try searching for the answer in the future. When I installed my popcharger I only had to relocate one sensor, and that's the intake air temp sensor (the one inside the airbox). I just put it next to the cone filter (left it plugged in), although that is not the best thing to do with it. I think some people have drilled a hole to allow the sensor to be placed in the actual air stream. Mine seems to work fine, and has for the past 7 months, but your mileage may vary.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On my 95, I only had to relocate one sensor also.

You can see that I took apart the popcharger and slide the sensor inside.

I gave it enough slack so that it was so tight that it would be vibrating too hard and not so loose that it would bounce all over the place.

A sorta closer look:
Old 02-16-2002, 06:33 PM

er do i have that one on my 98?
Old 02-16-2002, 06:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i installed a pop charger on my 98 se and I dont think I had that sensor inside the airbox, maybe the 98's dont have it at all? Or maybe I just totally missed it.. anyway it runs fine...
Old 02-16-2002, 08:13 PM

with the stillen intake you just put the maf sensor into the end of it
i had to file down the two bumps but it fits good
what other sensor is there
Old 02-16-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747
i installed a pop charger on my 98 se and I dont think I had that sensor inside the airbox, maybe the 98's dont have it at all? Or maybe I just totally missed it.. anyway it runs fine...
haha yeah. mine too then. it was jus the main maf sensor ..and it runs fine like you said.. as long as the car dont break, hey wat the hell
Old 02-17-2002, 09:55 AM

Thanx all for the info. Those pics were ESPECIALLY helpful cause i now know i got the wrong friggin cone! I got an APC cone that has like a 3" inlet. I guess i need the popcharger with the bigger inlet that K&N makes.

As for the temp sensor, I had the same issue with my Tiburon. I drilled a small hole in the rear of the cone and just had it read from the airstream inside the cone and it has been fine for over 40,000 miles. Just didnt know if the MAX would react the same way cause its a totally different ECU. Im assuming from your accounts that it will be fine. I'll post when I'm done with the mod and let y'all know how bad i screwed up

Again, thanx for the help. My next mod will be a Y-pipe, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'm tryin to find a used one before I shell out the cash for a new one. I might break down and just order one online. Who's the most trusted online performance vendor for Maximas?? Laterz!
Old 02-17-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by GotMaxt
Thanx all for the info. Those pics were ESPECIALLY helpful cause i now know i got the wrong friggin cone! I got an APC cone that has like a 3" inlet. I guess i need the popcharger with the bigger inlet that K&N makes.

As for the temp sensor, I had the same issue with my Tiburon. I drilled a small hole in the rear of the cone and just had it read from the airstream inside the cone and it has been fine for over 40,000 miles. Just didnt know if the MAX would react the same way cause its a totally different ECU. Im assuming from your accounts that it will be fine. I'll post when I'm done with the mod and let y'all know how bad i screwed up

Again, thanx for the help. My next mod will be a Y-pipe, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'm tryin to find a used one before I shell out the cash for a new one. I might break down and just order one online. Who's the most trusted online performance vendor for Maximas?? Laterz!
I prefer www.custommaxima.com, but for y-pipe get the www.warpspeedperformance.com one. (You can't beat the $225 price for and mandrel bent aluminized y)
Old 02-17-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: need help with popcharger

Originally posted by GotMaxt
Hey peoples,

Newbie on board. Just got my max a couple of weeks ago. I bought a cone filter today, what you guys seem to call a popcharger. I'm tryin to stick it in but there are two sensors that are buggin me. the MAFS sensor and the one thats inside the stock filter box. What do i do with these plugs? I'm most curious about the one in the filter box. Is it some kind of a temp sensor? Is it safe to leave it unplugged. Please lemme know. Any info would be grrreat Right now im afraid to unplug anything.
You have to leave that sensor plugged in or you will get the engine malfunction indicator to come on. It will also come on if you start the car without connecting it back.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:16 AM

Cone filter & pop charger are different. One of those cheap cone filters you bought are a waste of money. You need a real pop charger.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:27 AM

only the 95-96 Maximas have the temp sensor plugged into the actual airbox...the 97-99's temp sensor in plugged into that long air intake thingy that mounts over the radiator and travels under the stock airbox to feed it air.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:12 PM

ALL DONE!!!

Had to get a better socket wrench to finish the job. Either it came from factory with loctite on the bolts or someone put some on the bolts. It was hell gettin those bolts loose on the MAFS. I got the Popcharger on with NO adapter. had to do some rigging but it works fine and the install loox professional...or at least pretty close . dunno about performace gains yet but it sure as hell sounds DIFFERENT. Nice growling sound when I rev the car up. I put the temp sensor right next to the MAFS, nicely wrapped and taped. I figure it can do its sensing from there.

I only wish the Y Pipe will be that easy to install. I'm gonna hold out for a used one till next week then order one from warpspeed if all else fails. Anyone wanna sell a used y pipe or used clear corners?? Lemme know.

Again, thanx for all the advice!
Old 02-21-2002, 07:49 PM

HMMMM

Alright, performance seems to be lacking. Haven't raced anyone but i can just...feel it. Maybe its all in my head but second gear doesnt pull as hard...it just makes a cooler sound. My tiburon seemed really different on the high end with its new intake, but the max just doesnt bring me that same feeling of performance gains.

When i rigged the intake on with no adapter, i had to buy my own rubber washer gasket thingy. unfortunately, the largest one i could find had a inlet diameter of 2 1/3" which is respectively reducing the air inlet into the MAFS by about 2/3". Logically it might sound that this could mean the engine is taking in less air, but I thought since the air would be moving into the engine faster and in greater volume, the inlet size shouldnt matter as much. What do y'all think? is that my intake's bottleneck? would it make that much of a difference in performance that its the reason i feel like the car hasnt gained anything from the intake?

Old 02-21-2002, 09:40 PM

Re: HMMMM

Oooh, I just learned this in Physics! Were it not for friction, the bottleneck would make no difference. When the air reaches the skinny part, it would accelerateenough so that the same volume of air would be passing through it. It's like when you partially cover the opening of a garden hos with your thumb, the water will shoot out farther. Just as much gets through, it just has to speed up to do it. Once it is throught the bottleneck, the air will slow back down. Sadly, in real life, there is quite a bit of friction getting through the smaller opening, so you will get a little bit of a pressure drop. I don't think it should make much difference though

I chopped up my stock air box to make an adapter for my cone filter (installed yesterday). It's 3" all the way through, no bottleneck. I also notice a little bit of loss on the low end (could just be my imagination), but it seems to pick up better at higher rpms.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

I prefer www.custommaxima.com, but for y-pipe get the www.warpspeedperformance.com one. (You can't beat the $225 price for and mandrel bent aluminized y)
Good advice.lol Warpspeed is the way to go. Take Care
Old 02-24-2002, 12:28 AM

Fixed the issue this afternoon. It was definitely the gasket. I hand made the perfect gasket leaving the full 3" of air intake into the MAFS. Night and frickin day. I noticed the difference immidiately. The popcharger works. Theres alot more growl now and it works great in 3rd and 4th gear especially.

Went racing tonight and beat my friend's 2001 eclipse GT. He gave me the excuse he screwed his launch up, but i got him pretty good so i think the max is just plain faster. plus while screwin around on the highway the max just pulls harder. he cant pass me. Doesnt say much for those eclipses. I thought they'd be a hell of alot faster.

Anywho, only one complaint about the popcharger. sometimes when i shift hard from 3rd to 4th (above 6 grand on the tach) ill feel like a fraction of a second of hesitation. Its almost like the car is missing throttle for that fraction of a second but the pedal is mashed to the floor of course. Is this something i should expect? or should i be worried and go back to the drawing board on my intake install?
Old 02-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Producto Colombiano

Originally posted by 97MaxSE
Cone filter & pop charger are different. One of those cheap cone filters you bought are a waste of money. You need a real pop charger.

is the Jim Wolf technology intake a real pop charger?