4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installing Apex-i WS, Cattman Y, and SMC STS w/o air...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:19 PM
1st97SE

Installing Apex-i WS, Cattman Y, and SMC STS w/o air...

My buddy and I took to the driveway yesterday without an air compressor. We installed the Apex-i WS cat-back exhaust system, Cattman Y-pipe, SMC short shifter and MOMO shift ****. My thoughts on the project are mixed. First, it took about 5 hours (not good); air tools would have probably cut that time in half. Second, the exhaust is alot louder than I was hoping for (no there aren't any leaks). Third, the car is alot faster; ALOT FASTER! Fourth, the feel of the new shifter is amazing, much shorter throws. Overall, the project was worth the time and effort. The exhaust could be more quiet, but I will learn to like it for the performance gains.

Anyone thinking of doing a project like this yourself, one piece of advice: USE AIRTOOLS!

1st97SE

Old 02-19-2002, 04:42 PM

hows that apexi sound??
Old 02-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how was the install on the short throw shifter? I was thinking of geting someone to install that for me.....I heard however, don't know if it is true, that short throw shifters have more of a tendency to snap then the stock ones? any feedback from people with short throw shifters? preferably adjustables.....
Old 02-19-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by rguida
how was the install on the short throw shifter? I was thinking of geting someone to install that for me.....I heard however, don't know if it is true, that short throw shifters have more of a tendency to snap then the stock ones? any feedback from people with short throw shifters? preferably adjustables.....
I've had my STS on for about 4 months now. It's adjustable, and I love it. I haven't found a disadvantage to it, yet. By the way, if you have basic mechanic ability, access to a jack and jackstands...it's really not that hard to put in.

-Josh
Old 02-20-2002, 11:54 AM
1st97SE

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
hows that apexi sound??
The Apex sounds great, not too loud. The Y-pipe, however, is alot louder than I care for. The sound just comes right up through the floor boards and transmission hump. I'm gonna try Dynamat or some type of sound deadening material.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:26 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by 1st97SE

The Apex sounds great, not too loud. The Y-pipe, however, is alot louder than I care for. The sound just comes right up through the floor boards and transmission hump. I'm gonna try Dynamat or some type of sound deadening material.
If you take your front seats out and then the carpet - dynamat the ENTIRE floorboard with 2 coats of dynamat and I GUARANTEE a SERIOUS decrease in exhause noise. Dynamat is fantastic. It will add weight to your car tho, Dynamat is heavy - so you have to decide if you want noise or speed ...
Old 02-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Sin

Re: Installing Apex-i WS, Cattman Y, and SMC STS w/o air...

My buddy and I took to the driveway yesterday without an air compressor. We installed the Apex-i WS cat-back exhaust system, Cattman Y-pipe, SMC short shifter and MOMO shift ****. My thoughts on the project are mixed. First, it took about 5 hours (not good); air tools would have probably cut that time in half. Second, the exhaust is alot louder than I was hoping for (no there aren't any leaks). Third, the car is alot faster; ALOT FASTER! Fourth, the feel of the new shifter is amazing, much shorter throws. Overall, the project was worth the time and effort. The exhaust could be more quiet, but I will learn to like it for the performance gains.

Anyone thinking of doing a project like this yourself, one piece of advice: USE AIRTOOLS!

1st97SE
How long ago did you buy your the SMC? I thought they went out of business a while ago. CustomMaxima no longer carries them for a fact. Where did you get it?
Old 02-20-2002, 05:09 PM

if you are hearing sound from the y-pipe then something is wrong....you shouldn't hear any exhaust sound coming from the y-pipe...the only exhaust sound you should hear is coming from the A'PEXi....I have the EXACT same exhaust set-up you have....and there is NO sound coming from my Cattman Y. actually my exhaust is REALLY quiet...the only time I hear it is at low speeds...and part throttle....otherwise road noise hides it.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:21 AM
1st97SE

Re: Re: Installing Apex-i WS, Cattman Y, and SMC STS w/o air...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sin

How long ago did you buy your the SMC? I thought they went out of business a while ago. CustomMaxima no longer carries them for a fact. Where did you get it?
[/QUO

They did go out of buisness. I was lucky enough to find someone on the .org who was selling one brand new in box. I guess I was just in the right forum at the right time.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn't i want an SMC STS, ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 09:47 AM
1st97SE

Originally posted by MaximaRider
damn't i want an SMC STS, ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck finding one. Keep looking, search hard. It is such a sweet shifter.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:52 AM

Good luck finding one. Keep looking, search hard. It is such a sweet shifter.
How long did it take you to install it? I cant wait till I get a chance to do mine.

SuDZ
Old 02-21-2002, 09:56 AM
1st97SE

I had the help of a friend who is a Nissan mechanic, so it only took about 15 minutes. We also already had the exhaust down, so take that in to account. It really is quite simple, though. Good luck!

1st97SE