4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

wood trim kits for dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:24 AM
krispykeith

wood trim kits for dash?

I was looking at the wood dash trim pieces on ebay and saw there are both 3M tape backed ones, and ones that you use an included epoxy and heat during application. I would like to get one of these kits but does anyone know which is better to use or have any suggestions on one company being better than another? Thanks alot!

Old 02-20-2002, 11:42 AM

I just bought a new car...98 max....and it has a wood dash kit...I dont really like it, I want to replace it with either that stock black one or the silver....How do you take it off and put a new one on...and how hard is this to do...
krispykeith - if you want to trade or buy my wood kit then let me know....
Old 02-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: wood trim kits for dash?

Originally posted by krispykeith
I was looking at the wood dash trim pieces on ebay and saw there are both 3M tape backed ones, and ones that you use an included epoxy and heat during application. I would like to get one of these kits but does anyone know which is better to use or have any suggestions on one company being better than another? Thanks alot!
I have a wood dash kit from http://www.customautotrim.com/ Their customer service leaves A LOT to be desired, but the quality of the material in their kit is pretty good. Fittment is not perfect, although after looking at several other kits (including the aluminum ones) from makers such as Joshua Tree, I don't think it would be worth my time to try to find one that fits better. None of the kits that I have seen fit perfectly. My wood kit is 3M backed and I can't imagine trying to take it off and re-use it...I think I would ruin the kit if I tried to take it off as it is on there pretty good.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:06 PM

I could be wrong but I don't believe these wood kits come off easily, if at all. I suppose you could get it off with a heat gun and some patience but you'd probably have a mess on the dash and the kit would probably not be suitable for use again.

I have a wood dash kit from Joshua Wood Tree that I've had on for about 2 years now. It uses the 3M backing and I've had no problems with it. Excellent quality work from that place. I highly recommend them.

Try using the .org search for this topic. You'll probably find some useful information.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:12 PM
krispykeith

Thanks all for the input! I will do the search. I certainly would be interested in purchasing your existing one, but as they said....it sounds like it would be a beast for you to remove, so a kit might be better in my case.

Old 02-20-2002, 06:39 PM
FJC

Originally posted by krispykeith
Thanks all for the input! I will do the search. I certainly would be interested in purchasing your existing one, but as they said....it sounds like it would be a beast for you to remove, so a kit might be better in my case.
I heard Joshuatree is da' bombadigg