4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:19 PM

2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

I want to replace the bulbs in the step lights (in the inside part of the front doors) with superwhite bulbs. i know that they are 161 type, 2.7 watt bulbs, but when i looked up polarg bulbs i didn't find ones that match these specs. anyone know which superwhite bulbs can safely replace the step lights?

Second question - anyone with red/clear tails use amber bulbs in the turn signals? is the amber really noticeable from the outside? i want to keep them amber to keep it legal. If anyone has pics with amber bulbs in their clear tails, i'd appreciate it
Old 03-03-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: 2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

Originally posted by ne max
I want to replace the bulbs in the step lights (in the inside part of the front doors) with superwhite bulbs. anyone know which superwhite bulbs can safely replace those?

Second question - anyone with red/clear tails use amber bulbs in the turn signals? is the amber really noticeable from the outside? i want to keep them amber to keep it legal. If anyone has pics with amber bulbs in their clear tails, i'd appreciate it
I am not really sure about an answer to either of your questions, but there is something that might be helpful...I remember reading on here that some people have bulbs that from the outside look clear, but when turned on, still blink amber, so it's better looking and still legal...you might want to do a search and you might be able to find something...it's like an amber bulb with silver coating on it, or something like that...good luck
Old 03-03-2002, 12:35 PM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: 2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

I am not really sure about an answer to either of your questions, but there is something that might be helpful...I remember reading on here that some people have bulbs that from the outside look clear, but when turned on, still blink amber, so it's better looking and still legal...you might want to do a search and you might be able to find something...it's like an amber bulb with silver coating on it, or something like that...good luck
Check my website and my sig. I have plain $4 amber bulbs I picked up at an autozone. When you REALLY look at it closely, you can see the outline of the bulb, but by no means does it look amber. Whoever started saying you can see the amber is on crack or they used totally transparent lens material when they cleared their lights out.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Check my website and my sig. I have plain $4 amber bulbs I picked up at an autozone. When you REALLY look at it closely, you can see the outline of the bulb, but by no means does it look amber. Whoever started saying you can see the amber is on crack or they used totally transparent lens material when they cleared their lights out.
that's what i thought too, but i was also just suggesting in case he really didn't want to see the amber at all...if i had clears (which i really want, but need money ) i wouldn't care at all if a little amber was showing, I would want to keep it 100% legal

EDIT--oh yeah, and i think it would look kinda cool to get some blue bulbs for the step lights...personally i think it would look sweet (some may call it rice)
Old 03-03-2002, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

that's what i thought too, but i was also just suggesting in case he really didn't want to see the amber at all...if i had clears (which i really want, but need money ) i wouldn't care at all if a little amber was showing, I would want to keep it 100% legal

EDIT--oh yeah, and i think it would look kinda cool to get some blue bulbs for the step lights...personally i think it would look sweet (some may call it rice)

I've cleared out my tail lights and front bumper lights with AMBER bulbs and they look clear...and legal!
Old 03-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2 lighting questions - step lights and clear tails

REPLACE THOSE TWO LITTLE INTERIOR STEP BULBS WITH A SET OF PIAA SUPERWHITE #194'S (ALTHOUGH, ANY 194 BULB WILL FIT THE FIXTURE). THEY ARE THE CLOSEST BULD IN THAT SIZE THAT I FIND TO BE THE BRIGHTEST WHITE. YOU'RE WELCOME!
Old 03-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anybody know what the color or the socket is in the inside steplight. On my mom's 3rd gen max they were gold and so with blue blubs half of the light was blue and the rest was gold. It looked really odd. It looked so weird i had to take them out. I need to find plastic ones the aren't colored so fugly like.

-Jon
Old 03-03-2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
Does anybody know what the color or the socket is in the inside steplight. On my mom's 3rd gen max they were gold and so with blue blubs half of the light was blue and the rest was gold. It looked really odd. It looked so weird i had to take them out. I need to find plastic ones the aren't colored so fugly like.

-Jon
On my 95 the inside of the step lamp housing is white. However, when I put a blue bulb in there it doesn't light up like I want. Here's why; the bulb isn't shining directly out of the housing, the bulb is sideways in the housing so the light is emited from the side of the bulb as opposed to the end. THe bulb isn't completely blue, so one end of the light is blue but the end closest to the electrical connector burns yellow.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:41 PM

cool, thanks for answering my questions guys. i just assumed that everyone with pics of their clear tails had some sort of white bulb because i didn't see any amber, but i guess ambers work well too!