4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oxygen Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oxygen Sensor question

Hi,

I recently replaced an oxygen sensor on my 99 maxima, but the check engine light keeps tripping with the same code. 0901 right heated oxygen sensor bank 1,3,5.

Where is this sensor exactly? Standing in front of the car, I see one with the wires, and another set of wires going towards underneath the car. And I see another one when I took off the front passager side wheel. Which one is the sensor for bank 1,3,5.

Also do all three sensors use the same part? or are they different for each one. so the rear ones can not be used for the fronts one and so forth?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:11 AM

Re: Oxygen Sensor question

Originally posted by MaxMax
Hi,

I recently replaced an oxygen sensor on my 99 maxima, but the check engine light keeps tripping with the same code. 0901 right heated oxygen sensor bank 1,3,5.

Where is this sensor exactly? Standing in front of the car, I see one with the wires, and another set of wires going towards underneath the car. And I see another one when I took off the front passager side wheel. Which one is the sensor for bank 1,3,5.

Also do all three sensors use the same part? or are they different for each one. so the rear ones can not be used for the fronts one and so forth?

Thanks in advance.
did you reset your ecu? did you replace all of the O2 sensors?
Old 03-10-2002, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Oxygen Sensor question

A local mechanic replaced 2 oxygen sensors, but the same code is still tripping. I've reset the ecu myself a few times now, and still the same code. So I was thinking he may have replaced the wrong one!! So the problem was never fixed. So I want to get all the info before I go talk with him.

The oxygen sensor that he did not replaced is the one I can see inside the front passenger wheel well. Could this one be the one for bank 1,3,5?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2002, 09:09 AM

I believe left bank is the "front" of the engine, and right bank is the "back" of the engine (looking towards the engine standing in front of the car).

So yes, the right bank O2 sensor is the one you see with the passenger front wheel removed.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Oxygen Sensor question

Originally posted by MaxMax
A local mechanic replaced 2 oxygen sensors, but the same code is still tripping. I've reset the ecu myself a few times now, and still the same code. So I was thinking he may have replaced the wrong one!! So the problem was never fixed. So I want to get all the info before I go talk with him.

The oxygen sensor that he did not replaced is the one I can see inside the front passenger wheel well. Could this one be the one for bank 1,3,5?

Thanks
if i remember correctly, there's one O2 sensor at the front of the ypipe, one at the exiting end of the ypipe, and one around the main catylist. it wouldn't hurt to have them all brand new at this time.