4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed WSP y-pipe yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 07:49 PM

Installed WSP y-pipe yesterday...

Received the Pipe (aluminized non-mandrel bent) on Friday night 6:00. Saturday afternoon I went over to my brother in laws place to do install (he works for Caterpillar Equipment and has a truck with every tool needed). The bolts connecting to the manifold were real easy to get off, as well as the O2 sensors. But, the bolts on the cat were a different story. They were totally rusted. He has a acetylene torch on the truck, so we heated them up and they broke free then. The flanges on the cat were also rusted together, so we used an air impact chisel to get those apart. Putting the new y-pipe back on was quite easy. I can't believe how much more room there is now underneath by the new y-pipe.

I did notice that acceleration is improved, especially after 3500 rpm or so. I did not get a chance to really test it too much because there is a bad rattle and vibration coming from were the y-pipe and cat meet. This does not seem to be because of the new y-pipe though. The exhaust support there was very rusty, almost broken, I should have replaced that too, but no parts stores were open at the time, so I will have to do that when I get the part, no big deal, I used high temp. anti seize on the bolts so they should come off easily.

Overall I'd say that it is definitely worth the $215 I paid with shipping. The quality of the pipe seems to be excellent, everything fit together perfect. I suggest that you definitely have the proper tools to do the install though.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:55 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Installed WSP y-pipe yesterday...

Originally posted by tm96max
The quality of the pipe seems to be excellent, everything fit together perfect. I suggest that you definitely have the proper tools to do the install though.
Echo! Echo! Echo! If not for the impact wrench and PB, I don't think I would have finished. The right tools (i.e. air powered impact) and a friend are all that are really needed. I now swear by PB for loosening stuff up (black and yellow can at your local auto parts store).

Good luck to all who undertake this. Great feeling to drive out of the garage with your own work being done.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Please do me a favor

Get the braket fixed next week and maybe make a new post on how it improved normal driving, high end acceleration, punching it in 2nd before and after Y-pipem, low end driving and also list the other mods you have done to your car ??
If is shaves .4 sec off the 1/4 mile you should feel it in your neck, I think..

Old 03-18-2002, 06:31 AM

def. proper tools is need, i can vouch for that, im still waiting to get my ypipe on properly.