4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got beat by a Hon-duh....WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got beat by a Hon-duh....WTF!!

I got beat by a Honda from a roll today. A 1992-1994 Prelude with a coffee can exhaust.

WTF?

OK...I had 3 people including myself in the car, but STILL!

From 20-60 I pulled on him pretty well and got from about 1/2 car length behind to 1/2 car length ahead, but from 60-90, he PULLED on me! I thought that was the Max's greatest strength, 3rd gear!

At least it wasn't an Accord. Then I would've been to ashamed to even post this.

IanS
Old 03-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Vtech maybe?
Old 03-24-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by amixam98
Vtech maybe?
dude, h22 2.2L vtecs run at 200hp stock, so they are pretty quick. exhaust adds to that too.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by amixam98
Vtech maybe?
Nope...it was White. I don't think there are any White V-Techs, unless he'd done an engine swap. Sure didn't sound like a V-Tech.

Guess it just wasn't my day.

IanS
Old 03-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Sin

Re: Got beat by a Hon-duh....WTF!!

Originally posted by iansw
I got beat by a Honda from a roll today. A 1992-1994 Prelude with a coffee can exhaust.

WTF?

From 20-60 I pulled on him pretty well and got from about 1/2 car length behind to 1/2 car length ahead, but from 60-90, he PULLED on me! I thought that was the Max's greatest strength, 3rd gear!

At least it wasn't an Accord. Then I would've been to ashamed to even post this.

IanS
Are you kidding me?!?! The Maxima is SO weak in the 2-3. It's not so much weak, as it is not anywhere near the 2-3 in Hondas. The Honda 2-3 is scary sometimes. I don't know how many races Type-R's have won on the 2-3. Yes, the extra weight of passengers probably played a large role, but still, the 2-3 is where Hondas haul ***.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:46 PM

That is sad...

I raced my buddy's '00 5spd Prelude and only lost by about 1 car at 100MpH. And I'm an auto.
-Cyrus
Old 03-24-2002, 06:51 PM

Re: Got beat by a Hon-duh....WTF!!

WTF?

IanS
U win some u lose some, i got beat by a 1.8t sux for me...
Old 03-24-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Got beat by a Hon-duh....WTF!!

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax

Your right. The day I got my y-pipe, I raced a 1.8t and didn't think I'd get out on him, but I was actually able to walk on him which was surprising because I use to get burned by them all the time. But then, this past Saturday, Jay-Pee has an intake/rt cat/aftermarket/muffler/16's/auto while I have an intake/y-pipe/aftermarket muffler/18's/auto/1 passenger and he was able to walk on me. I think weight plays a big role in races.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:04 AM

It's VTEC guys.

Hm...those older Preludes are actually faster than the newer model ones. As far as being VTEC or not, if it's not VTEC then something is not right. You should have beaten a non VTEC Prelude easily. Unless the guy had a good deal of mods himself.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:08 AM

Hmmm...than maybe it was right.

I had 2 passengers and a trunk full of tools, not to mention my subs.

He was barely pulling on me....I'd say he had maybe 2mph on me at 60 (I was at 60,he was at 62)

Now I don't feel so bad.

IanS
Old 03-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax

Maybe new leather seats will give you more power
Old 03-25-2002, 11:07 AM

my girl has a 92 prelude si auto
its nice and small
when I raced her, it was pretty even till about 60 and then I started to pull from her, not by much but slowly I would beat her. They are nice but lack torqe
Old 03-25-2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
It's VTEC guys.

Hm...those older Preludes are actually faster than the newer model ones. As far as being VTEC or not, if it's not VTEC then something is not right. You should have beaten a non VTEC Prelude easily. Unless the guy had a good deal of mods himself.
ya, forrealz, the 4th gen preludes are actually quicker than the 5th gen ludes. and if he had vtec, and u had 3 peepz in the car, thas a huuuuge handicap.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by matt1sd

dude, h22 2.2L vtecs run at 200hp stock, so they are pretty quick. exhaust adds to that too.
The 5th gen manuals run at 200hp stock (all 5th gens have VTEC). The 4th gen VTEC, assuming it was one, is 190hp stock, and 200 lbs lighter than the 5th gen (2800ish lbs). There were 4 trim levels (US-spec) in the 4th gen line...the S (135hp), Si (160hp), Si 4WS (160hp), and VTEC (190hp). There was also the SE model.

Finally, "VTEC" is Variable Timing and lift Electronic Control..."V-TECH" is a crappy cell phone from the mid-1990s.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:28 PM

Can't wait for my motor swap

My sister's 5-speed 90 Accord is starting to scratch after 150K miles. Instead of fixing the transmission, I'm going to get an H22 of H23 motor swap in for her. This will give her 200HP and 161 Ft-Lbs of torque. Beyond this, I'm going to get the LSD equiped tranny. All the wiring, ECU, sensors, linkage, and the nitty-gritty for $2,800 installed. One guy with this tranny/engine combo is running 14.1 quarter miles so don't feel so bad. I'm thinking my sister's Accord would then be as fast, if not faster than my Maxima. You really can't beat that price.

In the future I'd to see if we can get a motor swap for the 4th gens from the 255 HP VQ with the 6-speed and LSD. Apparently engines in Japan usually only have 30-40K miles on them before they are taken apart and sent to the corners of the world...that's why the JDM market is so large. Cars aren't allowed to get old in Japan. I'll keep an eye out for my VQ. I'd cough up $4,000 to dump in an extra 65 HP's add an extra gear plus LSD. I figure $4,000 would just cover the SC and installation, but a new motor/transmission and LSD is a better value.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:39 PM

my step brother has a CRX with a b16 bottom end and an LS VTECH head and he runs real low 13's.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:42 PM

Re: Can't wait for my motor swap

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
My sister's 5-speed 90 Accord is starting to scratch after 150K miles. Instead of fixing the transmission, I'm going to get an H22 of H23 motor swap in for her. This will give her 200HP and 161 Ft-Lbs of torque. Beyond this, I'm going to get the LSD equiped tranny. All the wiring, ECU, sensors, linkage, and the nitty-gritty for $2,800 installed. One guy with this tranny/engine combo is running 14.1 quarter miles so don't feel so bad. I'm thinking my sister's Accord would then be as fast, if not faster than my Maxima. You really can't beat that price.
Not bad...if you have an H23 swap (a little cheaper since it's non-VTEC), throw in a turbo (T3/T4 hybrid). I'd forsee some 13s if you go that route.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:10 AM

Re: Re: Can't wait for my motor swap

Originally posted by Jacques

Not bad...if you have an H23 swap (a little cheaper since it's non-VTEC), throw in a turbo (T3/T4 hybrid). I'd forsee some 13s if you go that route.
my best friends brother has a 99 civic hx w/ an h22 motor. he also has you usual headers, intake, exhaust, vtec controller, racing clutch, etc. and he recently just installed turbo. well let me tell you, it is the fastest ******* car on the road, period. check it out at http://www.hcpengineering.com/, its the silver one on the front page.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:17 AM

Hmmm...than maybe it was right.

I had 2 passengers and a trunk full of tools, not to mention my subs.

He was barely pulling on me....I'd say he had maybe 2mph on me at 60 (I was at 60,he was at 62)

Now I don't feel so bad.

IanS
As a generic rule, for every extra 100 pounds in the car you'll run 0.1 to 1.5 slower in the 1/4 mile. Keep that in mind.

Kirk
Old 04-04-2002, 12:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Can't wait for my motor swap

Originally posted by matt1sd

my best friends brother has a 99 civic hx w/ an h22 motor. he also has you usual headers, intake, exhaust, vtec controller, racing clutch, etc. and he recently just installed turbo. well let me tell you, it is the fastest ******* car on the road, period. check it out at http://www.hcpengineering.com/, its the silver one on the front page.
What kind of turbo did he put in? Has he had any problems in launching (wheelhop, traction issues, etc.)?
Old 04-04-2002, 12:27 AM

NOT TO FLAME

But if you want 13's, why not buy a fox body mustang GT or Cobra for $4000 MAXIMUM?

Not flaming, just wondering why spend $20k-30k to run what a 10-20 year old car will still run and has the potential to hit 6.5 with the stock block?

Just wondering....not flaming.

Kirk
Old 04-04-2002, 12:36 AM

For me anyways, I got my Prelude (Type SH) for handling and exclusivity (only 5000 SHs/year). If Maximus is reading this, ask him how he did against me at the last autocross.

If I wanted something fast, I would've gotten a used Mk IV Supra TT. No F-body or foxbody for me.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:50 AM

For me anyways, I got my Prelude (Type SH) for handling and exclusivity (only 5000 SHs/year). If Maximus is reading this, ask him how he did against me at the last autocross.

If I wanted something fast, I would've gotten a used Mk IV Supra TT. No F-body or foxbody for me.
Thats cool, i didnt know they made so few SH's per year, thats impressive

Why buy a Mk IV TT when for $30k less you can get a car that will run with it stock vs. stock? Do some engine work, add TT or a SC with suspension work and you're looking at 9-10's with the stock block.

I dunno, to each their own. I respect the hondas that are done right(Like yours is, and congrats on a job well done with it ) but around here, all the hondas are slow and mostly only have looks and a muffler/tip for performance. My auto max only lost 2 times to an import at the drags. #1 - Integra Type-R with CAI,H,E,TURBO! and #2 - Civic SI with I/H/E/TURBO! They either go all out around here or just go for looks....its pretty sad.

Kirk
Old 04-04-2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Thats cool, i didnt know they made so few SH's per year, thats impressive

Why buy a Mk IV TT when for $30k less you can get a car that will run with it stock vs. stock? Do some engine work, add TT or a SC with suspension work and you're looking at 9-10's with the stock block.

I dunno, to each their own. I respect the hondas that are done right(Like yours is, and congrats on a job well done with it ) but around here, all the hondas are slow and mostly only have looks and a muffler/tip for performance. My auto max only lost 2 times to an import at the drags. #1 - Integra Type-R with CAI,H,E,TURBO! and #2 - Civic SI with I/H/E/TURBO! They either go all out around here or just go for looks....its pretty sad.

Kirk

Jacques and 1/3There2/3ToGo, uh.....guys. I thought this was a Maxima forum. More max facts please, less of honda stuff. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:56 AM

race again without the extra weight
Old 04-04-2002, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by JPMontoya

Jacques and 1/3There2/3ToGo, uh.....guys. I thought this was a Maxima forum. More max facts please, less of honda stuff. Thanks.
As I know myself that I hate honda's, these people are posting good facts for the rest of us who dont know about honda's to learn from... they are staying on topic not veering off saying IT S THE BEST CAR AND WILL NEVER LOSE type deal. this is a maxima forum, I am sure that if there was a problem with the posts on this thread that moderator's would be all over it, and since i dont see any moderating, please keep comments like the one above to yourself. Unless your a moderator.....newbie.....
Old 04-04-2002, 07:31 AM

This is a Maxima forum (of course I noticed), but since Maximus1000 and the number of Max owners I know told me to check this site out, I also wanted to correct some misconceptions about Hondas, and especially the Prelude. Also, I mentioned earlier, there's a difference between "VTEC" and "V-TECH", but I digress.

1/3There2/3ToGo, the Supra TT I mention is already a twin turbo. I'd would probably follow what my friends that own the Mk IV ('93-98...same Supra featured in TFATF), and do BPU and a single turbo upgrade.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:00 AM

You think we dont know this is a maxipad forum? Plus we arent only talking about hondas, we have moved on to fords and toyotas. Please read what you write before you post it...NEWBIE.

I'd have to agree with rguida. We are on-topic and arent saying any car cant be beat. The mod's dont seem to have a problem with us, why do you?

Jacques - The Mk IV's are pretty sweet, but they are so expensive to attain in the first place that you can do a TT setup, new heads/pistons/internals on the 5.0(302) and do some major suspension work to make it hella fast. Im not saying either one is better, Im just saying that domestics do have the advantage in asking price to buy one(used that is) but it will cost you mucho $$$$ to make it as fast as some imports. If you only want drag I'd go domestic in a heartbeat. If you want power/speed and handeling its a toss up. If you want looks, there are more imports that look better IMHO.

Kirk
Old 04-04-2002, 09:41 AM
www.autotalk.com

hey Jacques, you got one clean and decent looking car! i wish most honda owners do this kind of setup and modding.. I am on this thread JUST to read and get more info about hondas. Thanks for sharing your knowledge..
Old 04-04-2002, 10:54 AM

This is a Maxima forum (of course I noticed), but since Maximus1000 and the number of Max owners I know told me to check this site out, I also wanted to correct some misconceptions about Hondas, and especially the Prelude. Also, I mentioned earlier, there's a difference between "VTEC" and "V-TECH", but I digress.

1/3There2/3ToGo, the Supra TT I mention is already a twin turbo. I'd would probably follow what my friends that own the Mk IV ('93-98...same Supra featured in TFATF), and do BPU and a single turbo upgrade.
I started this thread.

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your knowledge of Hondas and your love of cars.

No moderation needed. The more Info I get to beat that guy next time I see him the better.

I'm pretty sure if it had just been me in the car I would have had him. He BARELY beat me. by about .1 seconds, I'm guessing.

IanS
Old 04-04-2002, 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure if it had just been me in the car I would have had him. He BARELY beat me. by about .1 seconds, I'm guessing.

IanS
His Prelude Si only has 160hp, not counting bolt-ons. Unless he doesn't have any forced induction, and if you were by yourself in your Max, you should beat him.

1/3There2/3ToGo, the Supra TT isn't really all that expensive to mod it to go fast. A stock TT runs around mid-13s in the quarter. Doing "BPU" mods (usually involving a downpipe, boost controller, etc.), will run you around $1000, but you get a hp increase from the stock 320hp to about 440hp to the rear wheels. I considered a Supra myself, but the car's weight (3600lbs), and insurance issues at the time, didn't make it ideal for me for an all-around car.

Thanks for the props to my Prelude. If anyone has any questions about Hondas (good or bad), feel free to email or PM me. Or, if you want to post on a thread (making it Maxima-related, of course), I'd be happy to reply.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:14 PM

His Prelude Si only has 160hp, not counting bolt-ons. Unless he doesn't have any forced induction, and if you were by yourself in your Max, you should beat him.

1/3There2/3ToGo, the Supra TT isn't really all that expensive to mod it to go fast. A stock TT runs around mid-13s in the quarter. Doing "BPU" mods (usually involving a downpipe, boost controller, etc.), will run you around $1000, but you get a hp increase from the stock 320hp to about 440hp to the rear wheels. I considered a Supra myself, but the car's weight (3600lbs), and insurance issues at the time, didn't make it ideal for me for an all-around car.

Thanks for the props to my Prelude. If anyone has any questions about Hondas (good or bad), feel free to email or PM me. Or, if you want to post on a thread (making it Maxima-related, of course), I'd be happy to reply.
I know that supras arent much more expensive, if at all, to mod than other cars. My point about them is that they are still selling for $30,000+ and they stopped making them years ago. If one were to buy a $5000 Fox body and spend the other $25k on mods it would be pretty dang fast and sweet. But like I said before, it depends on what the individual wants out of the car

We are on the same page. What is the color of your Prelude called? It looks custom and sweet!

Kirk
Old 04-05-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
We are on the same page. What is the color of your Prelude called? It looks custom and sweet!

Kirk
The color is "Ficus Green Pearl"...it was the stock color for Preludes from '99-00. They discontinued the color for '01-02, and replaced it with a "Sebring Silver", similar to the s2000.

Yeah, I love the color. I was going to go for "Nighthawk Black Pearl" (Maximus1000 had that color on his now bone-stock Prelude), but the Ficus Green grew on me. My Prelude is nearly 3 years old, but the color still looks good.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
my girl has a 92 prelude si auto
its nice and small
when I raced her, it was pretty even till about 60 and then I started to pull from her, not by much but slowly I would beat her. They are nice but lack torqe
The day I race my girl...
She doesn't even like me to accelerate quickly when she's in the car.

-zach
Old 04-05-2002, 12:49 PM

I used to own an Non-Vtec 1992 Prelude 5 spd and 17's on it. car was slow.... espically after 60 mph in 3rd gear is all it had,... when I put in 4th gear... my lUDE was cat dust. I raced an newer SH Lude and lost after putting my car in 4th gear.

I say my max is faster then my LUDE was
Old 04-05-2002, 02:43 PM

non-VTEC Si's don't have a whole lotta power high up in the powerband. But, the 4th gens are easier to take in forced-induction vs. the 5th gens because of OBD I (I have OBD II).

Having VTEC is nice...though, after running Maximus1000's '02 Max on the track, I wish I had low-end torque.
Old 04-06-2002, 01:25 PM

Hey, don't get down about the torque thing...

The H22 is a great engine, the torquiest 4-banger that Honda made, until just recently. Only the new CR-V's engine(is it called the K24?) makes more torque. You still have almost 10lb-ft more than the F20C in the S2000!
And if you ever decide to make a lot more power, you could always do R&D Dyno's 2.6L conversion and get 250fwhp.

Right now, I'm trying to talk my friend into getting an H22 instead of a JR supercharger for his '95 Civic. I found a place that has the changeover available for about $2k, less than the s/c.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Sin

Are you kidding me?!?! The Maxima is SO weak in the 2-3. It's not so much weak, as it is not anywhere near the 2-3 in Hondas. The Honda 2-3 is scary sometimes. I don't know how many races Type-R's have won on the 2-3. Yes, the extra weight of passengers probably played a large role, but still, the 2-3 is where Hondas haul ***.
third gear is horrible @ 70 it doens't really move when u floor it...
Old 04-08-2002, 06:54 AM

shouldnt have eaten those chilli dogs!!!!