4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

more problems installing AGX/GC's - rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 07:26 PM

more problems installing AGX/GC's - rear

Well I understand what you guys said in the other thread about the plastic bushing (disc) and in my 5am drunken stupor a friend and i looked and figured it out. he turned the steering wheel while i looked, and the top mount is slipping and causing the noise...exactly where the bushing should be

now, I tried to do the rear install today, and what a nightmare. My spring compressors wouldn't fit in the rear wheel well so I just unbolted the bottom bolt and let it decompress itself, then went into the trunk and undid the 2 gold nuts, and removed the assembly.

I think i made my mistake here - I did both sides at the same time, thinking I could use one as a guide and work on the AGX/GC setup. Well, I got the top mounts rebolted to the trunk/wheel well, and now the agx/gc setup is too long to fit into the top hole into the trunk and have the bottom pivot bolt go thru the bottom...I cannot compress the spring enough by hand to make it short enough. I already tried to use the spring compressors and once again, they are too tall to fit in place.

I currently have the car with 2 front wheels, and have the rear suspended in the air with two jackstands under the rear beam, one on each side.

If anyone has any suggestions, plz aim me, reply, or email...I have about 4 hours every day this week to work on my car, and I would like to have it done soon - it's blocking the garage which is holding my moms car

thanks yall
Old 03-31-2002, 07:50 PM

Your first problem. . .

. . .is you have the car suspended with the jackstands under the rear axle. In this position, the suspension behaves just as though the car were on level ground at full sag.

1) Jack the car up by positioning the jack under the center of the rear axle beam. (Have your car in gear [manual] or "P" Park [auto] & chocks in front of the wheels if you have them - bricks also work well).

2) Remove the jackstands from under the axle beam.

3) Now, find 2 solid jackstand points under the rear (not connected to the suspension/axle) to place the jackstands that will allow the rear axle & trailing arms to completely hang at the bottom of their range of travel. You should have no problem getting the bottom shock bolt into place.

4) Once you have the bottom shock bolts in place, put your jack under the axle beam on one side (one side at a time). Slowly, jack up the axle beam while a helper guides the top mounting bolts into their holes inside the trunk. Stop jacking once the top shock-cushion-mount becomes seated against the body.

5) Now, get in the trunk & fasten the nuts on the two shock-cusion-mount bolts protruding into the trunk. Torque to factory settings. (The center piston nut should have already been secured & torqued before you put the coilover/shock assembly into the car).

Repeat the other side. . .
Old 03-31-2002, 07:55 PM

sounds good - i will try that in the morning.

I have 1 question though. The piece that attaches to the trunk with the two goldish nuts, that has the hole that the shock top goes thru...I bolted those up already, that should be fine shouldnt it? I don't have to wait until I have the bottom bolt in, do i?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by global_threat
sounds good - i will try that in the morning.

I have 1 question though. The piece that attaches to the trunk with the two goldish nuts, that has the hole that the shock top goes thru...I bolted those up already, that should be fine shouldnt it? I don't have to wait until I have the bottom bolt in, do i?
oic. . .

Yes, you should be able to get the bottom after the top.

You should get enough travel to get the bottom bolts into place once the suspension is fully hanging. You might have to push the bottom of the shock up slightly to get it to align with the hole. A small bottle jack could be helpful for this, but you should be able to do it by hand, or by driving your knee upwards under the lower shock mount to push it into place. It only has to move like 1/2" or so to allow you to slide the bolt in with the suspension hanging.

Also, always torque the bolts with the car's weight on the suspension, not while the suspension is hanging. You can simulate this if you jack up the rear axle until the suspension reached full sag, or by actually lowering the car to the ground with it's wheels on.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:21 PM

Thanks a lot bro...appreciate it
Old 03-31-2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by global_threat
Thanks a lot bro...appreciate it
Yer very welcome!

Old 03-31-2002, 10:27 PM

ttt