4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help in changing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 06:25 AM

Need help in changing ATF

I don't know if I want to flush the tranny or just drain it. What kind of ATF do I have to use? how many quarts do I use if I flush or drain? If I just drain can I mix it with synthetic?
Old 04-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The fluid type is listed in your owner's manual. It's Dexron III, or equivalent (I think...so go check).

For drain and fill, just pour in however much comes out when you drain. Should be around 2-3 quarts.

If you are going to provide your own fluid when a shop does the flush, you'll need 12 quarts, I think.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:24 AM

I heard the drain was 4.5 quarts but I wasn't sure so I posted this question.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Banned

Draining the pan will usually yield 4 litres, the whole system is 10 litres. If you want to drain and flush the whole thing I posted this earlier on another thread when I installed a transmission cooler. Drain the pan first, replace plug and refill with 4 litres or the amount you drained out. Do not start the engine. You need to disconnect the hose from the transmission to the radiator.
I used a 1 gallon clear windshield washer jug, put the end of the transmission hose in the jug and get someone to start the car and then yell when you want them to stop, it comes out fairly quickly but not enough to force the fluid out the jug top, but make sure you hold on to the hose and the bottle to keep it steady. It takes about 15 or 20 seconds to get half a jug which is what I did and then refilled and did another half a jug till it came clear. It took 10 litres for me. I have read that some people did it in 1 gallon increments and others 1/2 so I did the half.
I did a cooler install at the same time so I had a long enough hose on the output from the transmission to easily run to the jug but the stock hose is short so might be advisable to put a longer one on or attach an extension to it.
Also just put back in the same amount you take out and then run it a while after you are all finished. I found that the stick showed low at first but came back after a short drive so I was glad I didn't add the extra litre I had purchased.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Jime
Draining the pan will usually yield 4 litres, the whole system is 10 litres. If you want to drain and flush the whole thing I posted this earlier on another thread when I installed a transmission cooler. Drain the pan first, replace plug and refill with 4 litres or the amount you drained out. Do not start the engine. You need to disconnect the hose from the transmission to the radiator.
I used a 1 gallon clear windshield washer jug, put the end of the transmission hose in the jug and get someone to start the car and then yell when you want them to stop, it comes out fairly quickly but not enough to force the fluid out the jug top, but make sure you hold on to the hose and the bottle to keep it steady. It takes about 15 or 20 seconds to get half a jug which is what I did and then refilled and did another half a jug till it came clear. It took 10 litres for me. I have read that some people did it in 1 gallon increments and others 1/2 so I did the half.
I did a cooler install at the same time so I had a long enough hose on the output from the transmission to easily run to the jug but the stock hose is short so might be advisable to put a longer one on or attach an extension to it.
Also just put back in the same amount you take out and then run it a while after you are all finished. I found that the stick showed low at first but came back after a short drive so I was glad I didn't add the extra litre I had purchased.
Nissan recomends Nissanmatic transmition fluid, and you can get it only at the dealer. Does anyone know what Nissanmatic fluid is? Dextron II or III
Old 04-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have the '98 FSM and it says in Continental U.S. and Alaska use Nissan Matic "D" from the dealership. In Canada, it says to use Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid or Dexron3/ Mercon or equivalent. For continental U.S. and Alaska, they don't recommend any equivalent but says to contact a nissan dealer for more info on recommended equivalents and BRANDS of Dexron3/Mercon. I personally use Amsoil synthetic ATF. It meets Dexron3/MerconV standards. So i guess you'll be OK w/ a reputable brand of Dexron3. I previously heard from some members that the Nissan Matic stuff isn't all that great. also, be sure you dont over-torque those small nuts that hold the pan up cause its easy to strip the head off. FSM says to torque them to 56.4~66.0 INCH-POUNDS(not foot-pounds!!) basically dont crank the things.

hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:51 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by peteymax99
Nissan recomends Nissanmatic transmition fluid, and you can get it only at the dealer. Does anyone know what Nissanmatic fluid is? Dextron II or III

I used AMSOIL atf fluid and it was fine. Be less concerned who makes it and more concerned you get the correct type...

also look on the general forum and at the top the is ATF/OIL post that might help.

reading that post will help more than this one
Old 04-07-2002, 07:00 AM

Re: Need help in changing ATF

Originally posted by maxima168
I don't know if I want to flush the tranny or just drain it. What kind of ATF do I have to use? how many quarts do I use if I flush or drain? If I just drain can I mix it with synthetic?
Flushing will replace ALL of the fluid and not just what is in the pan. The torque converter is filled with fluid that will not be replaced just by draining the pan. I plan to do the flush soon and I will use Amsoil Syntetic ATF when I do.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:53 AM

I've heard that on some cars a complete flush can sometimes mess up your transmission (can't give you an exact reason, don't know much about transmission internals)... Has anyone seen this in a 4th Gen Max?
Old 04-09-2002, 08:38 PM

If I want to change the filter, what do I need and where can I get them locally?
Old 10-05-2002, 07:26 AM
Producto Colombiano

If I want to change the filter, what do I need and where can I get them locally?
bump
Old 10-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Producto Colombiano

does anybody have a pic of the line that goes from tranny to radiator? for the flush
Old 10-11-2002, 04:33 PM

First of, the 4th gen's do NOT have a filter, they have a screen and you shouldn't change it. One nut holding it on screws to a bolt that runs through the valve body. The only way to tighten the nut is to remove the VB, not an easy job. Some here have gotten lucky and there has been enough friction to keep the bolt from spinning, but I wouldn't risk it.

Do yourself a favor and just use the drain plug, don't remove the pan.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I heard the drain was 4.5 quarts but I wasn't sure so I posted this question.
When I drained mine I got a little over 4.5 quarts of ATF. When flushing or draining, I did it to 2 Maximas, I measured what I got out and added back only that amount. This will prevent problems. If you flush by removing the return line you need 12 qts and if you drain 4.5 qts 4 times which gets you to 93% new ATF you'll need 20 qts. After doing it both ways I'd say do it by disconnecting the return line, you'll have 99% + of new ATF and you'll save some money.