4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Hrtbrker42

Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Sunday night I was driving home and I pulled up to a red light and a cop was next to me. When the light turned green he got behind me right away and pulled me over. He said it was because I had too many white lights in front of my car. The only thing I have done is install diamond cut bumper light and I even put on those NASTY amber bulbs. The rest of my lighting is white! I am ****ed on the fact that I know tha is is not illegal to have it set up the way I do. Prior to this happening I put on my front plate because I did not want to risk getting pulled over. I told him that the car is stock like that and he still went ahead and gave me a ticket for that and my tinted windows (I know he is right on my tinted windows). Had anybody ever been pulled over for this same reason? BTW I live in So. California since the law is different everywhere. THANKS

Old 04-09-2002, 11:34 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Originally posted by Hrtbrker42
Sunday night I was driving home and I pulled up to a red light and a cop was next to me. When the light turned green he got behind me right away and pulled me over. He said it was because I had too many white lights in front of my car. The only thing I have done is install diamond cut bumper light and I even put on those NASTY amber bulbs. The rest of my lighting is white! I am ****ed on the fact that I know tha is is not illegal to have it set up the way I do. Prior to this happening I put on my front plate because I did not want to risk getting pulled over. I told him that the car is stock like that and he still went ahead and gave me a ticket for that and my tinted windows (I know he is right on my tinted windows). Had anybody ever been pulled over for this same reason? BTW I live in So. California since the law is different everywhere. THANKS
Bogus ticket... if your diamond lights had white lights and were lit up along with your headlights and foglights then yes it woulda been valid (only 4 white lights up front at once).

Go to a CHP station (they don't charge) and have them sign off on it and then file a complaint against the officer (I would for not knowing his CVCs). I would argue to not pay the $10 'clearing fee' with a judge (that'll cost you time though). On second thought, forget that, cuz you have to clear the tinting anyways

These cops give others a bad reputation... What can I say if I were speeding, ran a redlight, etc... but this is just harassment.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:08 AM

Re: Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Originally posted by Chunger

These cops give others a bad reputation... What can I say if I were speeding, ran a redlight, etc... but this is just harassment.
True, true.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:11 AM

Re: Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Originally posted by Chunger

Bogus ticket... if your diamond lights had white lights and were lit up along with your headlights and foglights then yes it woulda been valid (only 4 white lights up front at once).

Go to a CHP station (they don't charge) and have them sign off on it and then file a complaint against the officer (I would for not knowing his CVCs). I would argue to not pay the $10 'clearing fee' with a judge (that'll cost you time though). On second thought, forget that, cuz you have to clear the tinting anyways

What is CHP and CVC?

SuDZ
Old 04-10-2002, 06:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need an

Originally posted by SuDZ

What is CHP and CVC?

SuDZ
i think CHP means california highway patrol
Old 04-10-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Originally posted by SuDZ

What is CHP and CVC?

SuDZ
CHiPs
Old 04-10-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Originally posted by Sway1331

CHiPs
CVC= California Vehicle Code
Old 04-10-2002, 09:22 AM

Hrtbrker42, some insight >>

...he got behind me right away and pulled me over. He said it was because I had too many white lights in front of my car. The only thing I have done is install diamond cut bumper light and I even put on those NASTY amber bulbs. The rest of my lighting is white! I am ****ed on the fact that I know tha is is not illegal to have it set up the way I do...
I believe that by law, all cars sold in the US have to have front/side reflectors that are orange. Since you replaced your orange bumper lenses with those diamond clears, you no longer have an orange reflector on each side of the car. The funny thing is, the front portion of these lenses, the ones for the turn signals are legal, as long as the bulb is orange.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:34 AM

There was some info on this a whille back

States vary, but I looked up for my situation and it said for reflectors, when looking at the side of the car, I needed amber in the front, red in the back. That's why only DC clears in the front is a problem (removes the amber reflector), and taking that little red lense out in the side when you clear your tails is a problem (removes the red reflector).

I am still trying to find out for sure whether the I30 running light will fit or could be made to fit the Max or not. The I30 piece, which has an amber reflector, would take the place of the amber reflector taken out when the DC lenses are put in. Problem solved. And I think leaving the little red lense in the rear would, while not quite as esthetically pleasing, would take care of the red rear problem too.

There is a thread out there on this issue already that has links to the state laws. Search for I30.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:22 PM

You said four bulbs is legal right? I have white headlamps and conering lights, if you add foggs thats 6.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:30 PM
www.autotalk.com

Some laws are just aweful. But still we have to live with it. These officers dont catch ppl who are killing humans but they DO pull over ppl 1)if they see a nice car 2)if there is anything done to it.

One of my friends has a 01 5 series and he gets pulled over EVERY week for nothing. Even i got pulled over on a red light! all i can say is pray for the nice cops and curse on the bad ones!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:16 PM

The cornering lamps are actually considered side lamps since they face the side. It was a bogus ticket.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:43 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Not fully detailed but... knock yourself out...

CVC LIST

Old 04-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check this thread out. . . I found this a while ago and might help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=CVC
Old 04-10-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: Got pulled over for TOO MANY stock lights in front of my Max???? Need answers

Prior to this happening I put on my front plate because I did not want to risk getting pulled over.
stupid question
what's a front plate?
Old 04-10-2002, 10:25 PM

i live in IL and got pulled over 3 weeks ago by some dumb newbie cop. it was because i had some blue bulbs in my altezzas. he went on to say that it is illegal to have clear bumper lenses with white lights that they all have to be amber. the funny thing about it is that i've had them for more than a year. guess it depends on how bored the coppers are...
Old 04-10-2002, 10:33 PM

dude, you got screwed.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:46 PM

the dumby didn't give me a ticket though. i swear its cops like that that make so many good cops look stupid. he said "Uhhhhhh... Do you know why I pulled you over? It's because of your illeagel taillights." then i asked him how they were illeagel if the new lexus and nissans had them. "Well that's because they meet special government standard safety regulations."
Old 04-11-2002, 09:44 AM

On the off chance that you might not be kidding >>

Originally posted by MaximaPower

stupid question
what's a front plate?
He meant front license plate.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:10 AM

I dont understand what the big deal with lights is. I can if your turn signals, or tail lights are a different color becasue they are hard to see....but something little like sidemarkers, the cop must have been trying tio get his ticket numbers up to meet his quota...It's a shame that people get hassled for stupid lights, when everyday I drive to school, I see people doing 100 mph weaving in and out of traffic, but they get away with it...and then I get a ticket for doing 70 and trying to keep up with traffic....It's jsut a shame that they dont catch the ones who are really dangerous drivers...Sorry, just venting a little I guess...
Old 04-11-2002, 12:07 PM

Re: On the off chance that you might not be kidding >>

Originally posted by Albertt

He meant front license plate.
i dont understand...u can get pulled over
for not having a front license plate??
Old 04-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: On the off chance that you might not be kidding >>

Originally posted by MaximaPower

i dont understand...u can get pulled over
for not having a front license plate??
\
In some states they are required. . . So you can be pulled over for it.

Also the white reflector is allowed in CA, and with orange bulbs it is fine, so his ticket should be thrown out.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:49 AM

Basically they have to have a reason to pull you over...They pull over for "A" and give you a ticket for "B" and thats how it is!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 09:57 AM

Dude, you think maybe he pulled you over originally because your window tint was too dark?? i'm not sure about the lights, but you definitely gave him a reason to pull you over.