4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HID Question - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002 | 09:29 AM

HID Question - Please Read

My friend has an extra 9007 genuine Phillips HID kit he is willing to give me for FREE. I know our cars are 9004, but I would really like to try to make this work. So, what would hold me back from doing this? Wrong beam pattern, or the bulb just will not fit in the headlight housing… Please let me know what you people think. YES or NO.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2002 | 10:07 AM

HID Answer - Please Read

Originally posted by Brendan98GT
My friend has an extra 9007 genuine Phillips HID kit he is willing to give me for FREE. I know our cars are 9004, but I would really like to try to make this work. So, what would hold me back from doing this? Wrong beam pattern, or the bulb just will not fit in the headlight housing? Please let me know what you people think. YES or NO.

Thanks
If you grind off the two bottom nubs on the inside diameter of the bulb mounting flange on the headlamp housing, you would be able to fit a 9007 bulb in our HB1 housing. But, as with any HID kit, you will get a pretty bad beam pattern. My advice would to let him sell the kit to someone else. Others here might tell you different, but while I'm speaking from knowledge gained through years (yes, years) of research and experimentation, they are speaking from their experiences standing in front of their cars talking about how blue and how purple their lights look. In the end, it's your car...do what you wish.
Old 04-11-2002 | 12:01 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: HID Answer - Please Read

Originally posted by Albertt

If you grind off the two bottom nubs on the inside diameter of the bulb mounting flange on the headlamp housing, you would be able to fit a 9007 bulb in our HB1 housing.
Don't do that, get the correct bulbs.

Even if it fits in the housing, the location of the capsule (focal point) which produces the light from the HID bulb may not be in correct alignment for our housings causing beam pattern distortion.

HID conversion kits do not distroy the beam pattern in a 9004 assembly. I have perfectly focused hot spots just like with my standard 9004 bulb, but I do get more light reflected upwards and side to side then normal. So to say that HID kits distroy your beam pattern is actually incorrect. You maintain a very nicely focused beam pattern, but gain some light output as if your high beams were on all the time. A simple reaiming of your headlight housing makes this light a bit more user friendly. Overall, the conversion produces excellent lighting if done properly. It may not be perfect, but it sure is much better then the standard light output from a 9004 setup.
Old 04-11-2002 | 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HID Question - Please Read

thats a nice dude that just replied to your thread, modify like he just told you to, and if its a kit all you have to tap in is in the stock harness to give it the turn on and off power, but if it has the little flat tips like the Hanabis it should connect like plug and play, just making the bulb fit would be the problem. Also he just mentioned about the beam pattern, I cant argue with the guy yes out of our housing we get glare so I had to re aim my lights out of courtesy to everyone on the road.
Old 04-11-2002 | 02:16 PM

More HID answers >>

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Don't do that...Even if it fits in the housing...
It does.

HID conversion kits do not distroy the beam pattern in a 9004 assembly. I have perfectly focused hot spots just like with my standard 9004 bulb, but I do get more light reflected upwards and side to side then normal. So to say that HID kits distroy your beam pattern is actually incorrect...
The very fact that you have "hotspots" means the pattern is poor. A good beam pattern has little hotspots...the light is distributed fairly even.

...A simple reaiming of your headlight housing makes this light a bit more user friendly...
Re-aiming the lamps lower to minimize glare places more light closer to the car. Less usable light travel out further. Since you've lost the highbeams now you have no way to view things you would be able to if you still had highbeams. With HID conversions, you're simply replacing a problem, with another problem.
Old 04-12-2002 | 06:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: More HID answers >>

Originally posted by Albertt
Re-aiming the lamps lower to minimize glare places more light closer to the car. Less usable light travel out further. Since you've lost the highbeams now you have no way to view things you would be able to if you still had highbeams. With HID conversions, you're simply replacing a problem, with another problem.
Perhaps you should see what this looks like before you judge it. The light output shines AT LEAST 1.5 times further then the standard 9004 bulbs do. You do not even need high beams, even on the darkest roads. I'm not here to argue, but state some facts. This conversion more then doubles the amount of light from our headlights. ON THE ROAD! It shines 1.5 times further down the road, and twice as bright.

Tell me again how you come up with less useable light please??? Everybody who has driven my car at night can't believe how bright the road is lit up or how far is shines with the HID conversion. Anybody on this board with this conversion will tell you the same thing.
Old 04-12-2002 | 09:56 AM

I have seen many a HID conversion >>

Perhaps you should see what this looks like before you judge it. The light output shines AT LEAST 1.5 times further then the standard 9004 bulbs do. You do not even need high beams, even on the darkest roads. I'm not here to argue, but state some facts. This conversion more then doubles the amount of light from our headlights. ON THE ROAD! It shines 1.5 times further down the road, and twice as bright.
Just shining farther is not necesarily a good thing. Shining farther means increased glare for oncoming drivers and increased backdazzle during inclement weather. Yes, your HID conversion doubles the amount of light on the road...but it also doubles the amount of light that does is not useful. OE HID systems use a horizontal cutoff, this prevents light from traveling to eye level. Show me a conversion which give this, and does not force you to lose you lose highbeams and I'll be happy to endorse it.

Tell me again how you come up with less useable light please???
I was refering to the fact that hotspots in a beam pattern cause less usable light to fall on the sides of the road. Light at the sides give the driver increased depth perception...something that's very important.

Everybody who has driven my car at night can't believe how bright the road is lit up or how far is shines with the HID conversion. Anybody on this board with this conversion will tell you the same thing.
Good for them. Just more people making the road less unpleasant for others.

Look, I'm just repeating facts here...don't shoot the messenger. I don't want to get into a heated battle over this. If HID conversions were such a great option, they would have been endorsed by the SAE and the USDOT would have made them legal for use on roads by now.
Old 05-03-2002 | 05:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok guys I am like so confused. My friend wants to get xenon lights, but what is the difference between HID and Xenon lights? Also which one allows you to keep high beam? And what is teh best kid to get?
Old 05-03-2002 | 06:36 AM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Ok guys I am like so confused. My friend wants to get xenon lights, but what is the difference between HID and Xenon lights? Also which one allows you to keep high beam? And what is teh best kid to get?
i have to say that by reading all this Tom is on the money. i think Albert needs a few more year on hids to understand Tom.

Tom how many years do you have on hids?
Old 05-03-2002 | 07:46 AM

Since you've resurrected this thread >>

Originally posted by 97GLES
i have to say that by reading all this Tom is on the money. i think Albert needs a few more year on hids to understand Tom.

Tom how many years do you have on hids?
Read this long and boring, but informative, research article. See, that's what you get for being a wisearse.
Old 05-03-2002 | 09:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Since you've resurrected this thread >>

This debate will continue without end I'm afraid. For those with the 9004 conversion kits, I think most will agree that when aimed properly, the visibility is markedly better without creating undue glare for oncoming motorists. I would argue that the glare is far less than you see with SUV's, trucks--even outfitted with halogens. Combine that with lowering springs that most of us have and the issue is really mute. Personally, the pattern that I see on the road isn't markedly different than what I see with halogens; just brighter, farther and more pleasing in color. I'm sure in theory, the beam pattern should be totally off the mark, but in practice, the beam pattern is just fine... on mine, nicely diffuse for the most part with a hotspot about 8 feet on the ground in front.
Old 05-10-2002 | 02:54 PM

i just got my kit, but its a H4. is there a big diff or any at all in beam pattern? i am gonna try and get em in there and keep them since i am gonna be get some cefiro one piece lights soon (they use H4).
Old 05-13-2002 | 07:37 AM

Brendan, do as you wish >>

Originally posted by Brendan98GT
i just got my kit, but its a H4. is there a big diff or any at all in beam pattern? i am gonna try and get em in there and keep them since i am gonna be get some cefiro one piece lights soon (they use H4).
But if my opinion counts for anything here (which I hope it does), I think your better off with the Cefiro lamps and a pair of Philips H4 Vision Plus bulbs.