4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ME VI Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 01:54 PM

where can i get one of these?
Old 04-21-2002, 02:26 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by NickStam

where is your SC write up?

Very, very close Nick. I have one more step to finish (#30). And then I have to figure a way to get it to you guys. I did it in Word and it is litterally 80 MB. Don't worry, I'll make an anouncement when I'm done. If anyone is in a big hurry, I could fax it (although you'll lose the color), mail a hardcopy, mail a CD or I guess e-mail it in pieces. But I hope to have it on-line soon.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
where can i get one of these?
As I stated earlier, I will be doing a Group Deal after I Dyno it.

I have already notified my supplier I will be ordering 10 soon. He wants 30 days after I send him the money to allow time to get all the parts in order and ship to me. So expect 6-8 weeks for delivery after you order it and send me the money, just to be safe.

Price will be $550-$570 at the most. Quite possibly less because shipping will probably be less because of quantity.

I have asked my supplier for a quote for 10 of them, shipping included. Once I get an answer from him, I will set the exact price.

These are BRAND NEW. Not used parts.

The "Kit" includes:
Manifold
Manifold Cover
Manifold Gasket
Cover Gasket
Actuator
Butterflies
Butterfly Rod
Mounting Screws for butterfly
Mounting Screws for Cover

You do have to buy the following on your own:
Valve Solenoid (Mine cost $2.50 at a junkyard off an old Nissan Pulsar)
Harlan RPM Switch - $50.00
Radio Shack 30 amp Relay (Or whatever brand you prefer) -$10
Various Hoses - $10-15
Vacuum Check Valve - $5.00
Wiring - $5

And maybe some Throttle Body Cleaner....may as well do it while you're in there.

IanS
Old 04-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a feeling that this will be a long week waiting for the ME VI to arrive.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:27 PM
SLOW

Has anyone else thought about the implications of this mod, which will hopefully make increasing power all the way to redline, used in conjunction with a mod that would raise the redline on our cars. I'm sure someone can see where I'm going with this...

I've been thinking alot about that lately... And it just so happens I have the money to do this little project right now too
Old 04-21-2002, 06:50 PM

how far u thinking about raising the redline?
Old 04-21-2002, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Has anyone else thought about the implications of this mod, which will hopefully make increasing power all the way to redline, used in conjunction with a mod that would raise the redline on our cars. I'm sure someone can see where I'm going with this...

I've been thinking alot about that lately... And it just so happens I have the money to do this little project right now too
You and I think alike. But we need a dyno graph first to see if it in fact still makes good power at redline, and if it does.....
Old 04-21-2002, 10:40 PM

Wouldn't changing the redline possibly cause engine trouble?

Doesn't Nissan make the redline where it is for a reason?

Please explain, I'm interested.

IanS
Old 04-21-2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by iansw
Wouldn't changing the redline possibly cause engine trouble?

Doesn't Nissan make the redline where it is for a reason?

Please explain, I'm interested.

IanS
Redlines are put up at the point where the engine is making no usable power on the dyno.Now if the engine is "still" making power at 6500rpm why not raise it up a bit to the point where the engine is making no power ie 7500rpm [est]
Old 04-22-2002, 02:25 AM

could always try to find out the redline of the vq30de w/MEVI .. and adjust (copy,hack,whatever) our ecu accordingly..
Old 04-22-2002, 05:16 AM

I would have liked to have put mine on but some ******* messed that all up. Iansw, don't break ties with your contact. I may try again on this mod in the future.

I wanted to beat up on some TL-S's too.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:00 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Originally posted by deezo
I would have liked to have put mine on but some ******* messed that all up. Iansw, don't break ties with your contact. I may try again on this mod in the future.

I wanted to beat up on some TL-S's too.
I've been away for a couple months - what's the deal with Roadbeast? Isn't he supplying the MEVIs any more?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:11 AM

Long story

Originally posted by Scruit

I've been away for a couple months - what's the deal with Roadbeast? Isn't he supplying the MEVIs any more?
Long story...but the short of it is he sent like maybe 3-5 over and and scammed 10-30 members out of money. So, people have found other sources...Iansw and Finality are dealing with people in the ME and I'm dealing with a person in Japan. But, mine won't come in for another week or 2.

-John
Old 04-22-2002, 09:44 AM

I looked thru this thread, and was wondering how you change the spark plugs? From the pic I see, the rear spark plug bank is no longer exposed. Any insight?
Old 04-22-2002, 10:02 AM

this mod could possibly mean someone might break below 14's without boost.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:08 AM

it will most definitley mean high 13's N/A
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by d_98SE

Redlines are put up at the point where the engine is making no usable power on the dyno.Now if the engine is "still" making power at 6500rpm why not raise it up a bit to the point where the engine is making no power ie 7500rpm [est]
I dont think I'd want to try 7.5 K on the stock heads
Old 04-22-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I looked thru this thread, and was wondering how you change the spark plugs? From the pic I see, the rear spark plug bank is no longer exposed. Any insight?
As you can see in the pic, you can still access your rear plugs no problem:

http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/installed/plugs.jpg
Old 04-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

There's no real point in raising the redline because power is only extended to ~6100rpms (redline 6550). There's only so much topend power this style of variable intake will make. Extending power an extra 500rpms equals about 10-12fwhp and holding on torque a bit longer. This is pretty much like adding a y-pipe. This mod should let us stay in 3rd thru the finish therefore dropping a litle ET just because of one less shift. I'm saying with a 1.9 60', excellent conditions, and good shifting, a 13.9@98mph should be pretty attainable. Unfortunately for many us, Ian has an auto so it will be hard to gauge what this mod will add to a 5 speed (ie 5 speeds have less drivetrain loss). If Ian makes 180-185 fwhp with this intake and his current mods, I think this intake will be a good buy. Hopefully Ian will make a run with the intake working and then one run where the butterflies don't open to show the difference in power and useable rpm.

Dave
Old 04-22-2002, 11:43 AM

Curious

I remember from the PICS of the now infamous ROADBEAST car, there was a cover between the intake manifold and the forward bank of cylinders. Just the prettiness factor, probably not functional at all. On your car, without that cover, is the gap so big now that the knock sensor is like right there?? Un-like before where it was buried under the US intake manifold? Just wondering.

DW

As you can see in the pic, you can still access your rear plugs no problem:

http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/installed/plugs.jpg
Old 04-22-2002, 12:32 PM

Re: Curious

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I remember from the PICS of the now infamous ROADBEAST car, there was a cover between the intake manifold and the forward bank of cylinders. Just the prettiness factor, probably not functional at all. On your car, without that cover, is the gap so big now that the knock sensor is like right there?? Un-like before where it was buried under the US intake manifold? Just wondering.

DW

Having the knock sensor reavealed more would have made the changing process so much easier for me. What a pain.

SuDZ
Old 04-22-2002, 12:46 PM

Nope. The plenums cover exacctly the same area.

That voer is just a plastic panel, and serves no funciton.

I tried to get one from my supplier (because itl ooks neat), and he wasn't able to locate one.

IanS
Old 04-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

so what's up wit the dag on dyno?! IansW, u said u would have it on Monday right ??? I can't take it anymore!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:07 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Dave B
There's no real point in raising the redline because power is only extended to ~6100rpms

Dave
How do you know it only extends power up to 6100rpms? Mardigras' dyno or what.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:47 PM

This sounds better than installing nitrous on my car. Lets see the dyno, damnit!
Old 04-22-2002, 07:49 PM

OK...Now I'm ****ed.

I did the Dyno, and have the results, but the latest DynoJet Viewer Software doesn't read the ".djr" format.

They're using older software at the shop I did it at. i put it on a floppy and didn't print it out, so I have no proof right now.

Oh yeah....it was +30hp at 6000 RPM's, or something close...you all need to see it.

DOES anyone have an older version of the DynoJet Viewer software?!?!?

If so, E-Mail it to iansweeney@cablespeed.com

The strange thing is that my car only tested at 145fwhp (base run, VI not on) on this Dyno. I'm not too concerned, however, as airmattdog tested on the same Dyno earlier and get exactly the same reading. I've heard from several people that this Dyno gives very low numbers.

Unfortunatley, they were the only ones available today.

Thanks in advance.
IanS
Old 04-22-2002, 07:52 PM

Are you Fing serious. The damn thing gainged 30 frikken hp to the wheels. eep breath: oh my...... wow. Didnt they give you a print out? I dont really care i beleave you. So are you dynoing in the 200's now? dude, get to the 1/4 mile asap. And get us the final price on one of these bad boys.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Are you Fing serious. The damn thing gainged 30 frikken hp to the wheels. eep breath: oh my...... wow. Didnt they give you a print out? I dont really care i beleave you. So are you dynoing in the 200's now? dude, get to the 1/4 mile asap. And get us the final price on one of these bad boys.

Whoa there cowboy.

i said +30 at 6000 RPMs.

Actual MAX gain was 10hp.

But at 6000 RPMs, base run, I dynoed at 125, with the VI 155.

And like I said, the numbers on this particular Dyno are known to be very low.

I'm going to Dyno it again somewhere else when I get the cash.

But the gains at high RPMs are definately visible.

IanS
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM

Now that is a nice gain!
Old 04-22-2002, 08:06 PM

Whoa there cowboy.

i said +30 at 6000 RPMs.

Actual MAX gain was 10hp.

But at 6000 RPMs, base run, I dynoed at 125, with the VI 155.

And like I said, the numbers on this particular Dyno are known to be very low.

I'm going to Dyno it again somewhere else when I get the cash.

But the gains at high RPMs are definately visible.

IanS

Hehe. Hmm so max gain is less than the ypipes? But at high RPMs it makes a lot of power. Hm interesting.
And uhh you only dynoed at 125hp????? That sounds very, very wrong. You have an auto right? Even an auto should be aroud 150 or so stock. Now i know you said the dynos numbers are low but thats just crazy. Mos. def take it to a new place. This is a really great thing your doing.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

Hehe. Hmm so max gain is less than the ypipes? But at high RPMs it makes a lot of power. Hm interesting.
And uhh you only dynoed at 125hp????? That sounds very, very wrong. You have an auto right? Even an auto should be aroud 150 or so stock. Now i know you said the dynos numbers are low but thats just crazy. Mos. def take it to a new place. This is a really great thing your doing.
Nonono

Ever read a Dyno Graph?

Basically, the cars graph (baseline, VI off) raises from 0-5000 RPMs and goes up to about 145fwhp. While this is low, this seems to be the norm for THIS particular Dyno graph.

At about 5000RPMs, it drops FAST, going down to about 110-120 fwhp at 6800RPMs. This is not abnormal.

With the VI On, it goes at about the same rate to 5000 RPMs to about 145fwhp, and just keeps steadily going up until 6800RPMs, to about 158fwhp, instead of dropping fast.

In a regular Dyno (one that doesn't mark so low) , I expect I'm probably at about 190fwhp without the VI, and 200 with.

Now remember, fwhp is NOT the same as "at the crank". The Nissan Maxima Auto is 190hp at the crank stock, but on a Dyno (and depending on what Dyno and how it's tuned and set up and brand) it is 130-160.

Anyone have that software!?!?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:46 PM

Looks like he's not going to E-Mail me new copies tonight.

Guess I'll have to drive there tomorrow and get the printouts from him.

Grrrrr.

Luckily, I own a scanner. I'll have them up by this time tomorrow.

IanS
Old 04-22-2002, 08:50 PM

Looks like he's not going to E-Mail me new copies tonight.

Guess I'll have to drive there tomorrow and get the printouts from him.

Grrrrr.

Luckily, I own a scanner. I'll have them up by this time tomorrow.

IanS
Talk about going the extra mile. Thanks again Ian. I can't wait until I get one of these beasts for myself.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Sports Button FTW

I admire this man...he's put a lot of work into this project and is going the extra mile to prove that he didn't waste the past few months.....i know things will turn out good and I once again thank u IansW for putting such a high effort to help the rest of us out....i'll stay close by with any new results that come up....
Old 04-22-2002, 09:27 PM

Well, the good news is that I did visually see the Dyno, and it was good.

+10 Maxhp, +30 at the high RPM range.

But I don't believe in talking without putting something up to show for it.

So you will all see the Dynos tomorrow.

Promise.

IanS
Old 04-22-2002, 09:35 PM

Iansw: A quick question

First off I have to say great job on bringing this mod over and making it work for us. I would do this but I just don't have the cash right now (have to pay off school loans).

I do have a questions though:

Did you look at the intake runners of the intake manifold before you installed it? I was wondering if they were pretty smooth and have an even diameter because I didn't know if porting/polishing or Extrude Honing this intake manifold would gain even more power than what it is putting out now. I thought it might be something else to look into since the MEIV will have to be off before you install it so why not open it up fully before you install it? I know that in your case, money was a limiting factor, but would this be benefitical?

Just a thought
Old 04-22-2002, 10:19 PM

Re: Iansw: A quick question

Originally posted by jgadlage
First off I have to say great job on bringing this mod over and making it work for us. I would do this but I just don't have the cash right now (have to pay off school loans).

I do have a questions though:

Did you look at the intake runners of the intake manifold before you installed it? I was wondering if they were pretty smooth and have an even diameter because I didn't know if porting/polishing or Extrude Honing this intake manifold would gain even more power than what it is putting out now. I thought it might be something else to look into since the MEIV will have to be off before you install it so why not open it up fully before you install it? I know that in your case, money was a limiting factor, but would this be benefitical?

Just a thought
It's REALLY smooth in there stock. I don't know how much improvement polishing would do, but I would be interested to know.

Also, everyone, here is a pic of me at the Dyno, just because I want to prove I was there, and I'm really right now about all this.

Old 04-23-2002, 12:01 AM
Guy with the Orange Max

When I dynoed at the same place that Ian did, and got my 140hp and 180tq. I had Stillen Intake, Warpspeed Y, and Stillen AxleBack Exhaust. To me I thought that with those mods I should've been at a higher number. In fact the several people that were there thought the same thing. I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers that another dyno might provide. To see how they look compared to one another.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:42 AM

Damn you... I was going to do handling mods next . I wish someone with an NA 5 speed would try one of these.

Is there any reason to think the 'long runners' on the ME VI are different then the only runners on the US intake since they do not have to make any power above 5000 RPM?

In the pic it looks like the 'flex section' on the stock intake system is more bent then usual, does the ME VI manifod put the throtle body in a different place? Would you have a hard time lining up a CAI?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:47 AM

I don't know if this will help, but you can download the latest verions of dynojet software here;

http://www.dynojet.com/downloads.shtml

DW

OK...Now I'm ****ed.

I did the Dyno, and have the results, but the latest DynoJet Viewer Software doesn't read the ".djr" format.

They're using older software at the shop I did it at. i put it on a floppy and didn't print it out, so I have no proof right now.

Oh yeah....it was +30hp at 6000 RPM's, or something close...you all need to see it.

DOES anyone have an older version of the DynoJet Viewer software?!?!?

If so, E-Mail it to iansweeney@cablespeed.com

The strange thing is that my car only tested at 145fwhp (base run, VI not on) on this Dyno. I'm not too concerned, however, as airmattdog tested on the same Dyno earlier and get exactly the same reading. I've heard from several people that this Dyno gives very low numbers.

Unfortunatley, they were the only ones available today.

Thanks in advance.
IanS

Quick Reply: ME VI Installed