4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tach going crazy.... please advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 09:53 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Tach going crazy.... please advise

Hey all,

As of about a month ago, my tachometer has been acting really funky. Every few minutes the needle freaks out and fluctuates wildly, and sometimes shakes, though I can hear/feel that the engine speed is not changing. When driving, the tach needle becomes progressively less responsive until after about an hour it just rests at 0 until I restart the car.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be caused by? I suspect an electrical problem, but can someone give me some direction as to possible causes/solutions to look into?

Thanks in advance...

Doug
Old 04-21-2002, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tach going crazy.... please advise

Originally posted by Speebs
Hey all,

As of about a month ago, my tachometer has been acting really funky. Every few minutes the needle freaks out and fluctuates wildly, and sometimes shakes, though I can hear/feel that the engine speed is not changing. When driving, the tach needle becomes progressively less responsive until after about an hour it just rests at 0 until I restart the car.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be caused by? I suspect an electrical problem, but can someone give me some direction as to possible causes/solutions to look into?

Thanks in advance...

Doug

My tach is also acting up and has been for quite a while. When I start the car it goes to about 800 RPM and SLOWLY climbs over time. Its pretty funny actually because if I drive it for more than about 30 min it will peg at 8500 RPM, even at idle. When it first started to act up I could smell something electronic burning (a unique odor) but only while accelerating and the car has always run perfect.It used to work sometimes but not anymore and I don't get the smell anymore either. I guess the component that was burning out is totally dead.

The problem has to be (hopefully) the tach itself. I took the guage cluster out of the dash and inspected everything to be sure it wasnt a connection and everything looked fine. If it was a problem with the crank or cam position sensors the car would not run properly.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:47 AM

Re: Re: Tach going crazy.... please advise

Originally posted by exhip95

My tach is also acting up and has been for quite a while. When I start the car it goes to about 800 RPM and SLOWLY climbs over time. Its pretty funny actually because if I drive it for more than about 30 min it will peg at 8500 RPM, even at idle. When it first started to act up I could smell something electronic burning (a unique odor) but only while accelerating and the car has always run perfect.It used to work sometimes but not anymore and I don't get the smell anymore either. I guess the component that was burning out is totally dead.

The problem has to be (hopefully) the tach itself. I took the guage cluster out of the dash and inspected everything to be sure it wasnt a connection and everything looked fine. If it was a problem with the crank or cam position sensors the car would not run properly.
I have this same problem. Everyone always cracks that I redline at 5 mph. Mine hasn't worked for sometime now, but the car runs fine. Have you guys had any clock problems? Mines will flip off and on every now and then. Normally is just stays off tho. What year are you guys? i'm a 96. Later
Old 04-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Tach going crazy.... please advise

Originally posted by RideTheMax

I have this same problem. Everyone always cracks that I redline at 5 mph. Mine hasn't worked for sometime now, but the car runs fine. Have you guys had any clock problems? Mines will flip off and on every now and then. Normally is just stays off tho. What year are you guys? i'm a 96. Later

I have a '95 GLE. I have no clock problems or any other electrical weirdness other than the display on the Bose headunit not working once in a great while. This was happening before I noticed the tach problem and the two are not related. I have read about the display problem with the Bose before and its one of the things we have to put up with if we have the Bose.

I really think the problem is within the tach itself. If it was anything major like the ECU I believe we would get a CEL or the car wouldn't run well or at all.

Does anyone know how much a guage cluster would cost? In particular, a white-backed one from an SE?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:27 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Nobody knows?

Old 05-10-2002, 07:15 AM

Dang, there should be a recall
!