4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen Variable Intake (NA) Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I can re-Dyno somewhere else tomorrow if you all think it's worth it.

Even though obviously Speedtrips Dyno would probably be more accurate, I'd like to get an accurate reading off an Auto also.

So should I blow another $95 on another Dyno?

Or are those results not important to you all?

Thanks,
IanS
Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by xHypex
When will speedtrip be getting his VI in the mail anyway?
UPS

Delivery date is 04/30. If everything goes right the install should be on 05/04 with the dyno as soon as I can get an appointment.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by iansw

IanS
Ian personally I would say it's not worth it. You've invested your time and money in the project, and as long as YOU are happy that's all that matters. If your results were close to those of other Maximas on that dyno then I would say it's the dyno not your car. The other dyno may show more power, but it really is harder to get consistant readings with an automatic since it usually wants to downshift :/ Regardless you've helped us find a new mod, are setting up a deal for others, and now have a faster car I know I will be picking up a VI soon.
-hype
Old 04-25-2002, 11:41 AM

Even though obviously Speedtrips Dyno would probably be more accurate, I'd like to get an accurate reading off an Auto also.

So should I blow another $95 on another Dyno?

Or are those results not important to you all?

Thanks,
IanS
I can wait to see speedtrips dyno. Save your $95 for the gas you'll be using now as you drive to redline repleatedly. I'd also like to clear up an earlier question I asked - I'm wondering if the stock air box would be better matched w/ the VI and yield better #'s than a CAI or HAI? BTW, I still want one can you start a waiting list?
Old 04-26-2002, 06:25 AM

Save your money. I want one right now and so do lots of others. And once other people start getting there VIs they'll most likely dyno too.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:03 AM
SLOW

I wouldn't bother dynoing again, especially at a ripoff rate of $95!!! Was $95 for a specific number of pulls, or a specific amount of time. The dyno I go to gives you 2 pulls for $50 or a full hour of tuning time for $80.

And to the other person, who asked about my gas mileage with my bad 02 sensor, it seems to be ok. I get 21.x mpg on 95% lead foot pizza delivery city driving, like 340-360 miles per tank. On the highway I can easily get 430 miles to a tank. Of course I don't have anything to compare these numbers to, my o2 sensor has been bad since I purchased the car.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Well, I may have found what was wrong.

I reset my ECU right before the Dyno, and yesterday I realized it's been stuck in "diagnose" mode! I turned it back the wrong way when I was done resetting it!

So I put it back where it should be, and I will Dyno again this afternoon.

Anyway, If I do Dyno today, it's at a different shop, and is $75 for one hour.
Not too bad, really.

And Confused just donated $50.00 to the Dyno cause.
So it's not going to cost me an arm & a leg to do it again.
You're the man! I'll be Dynoing again this afternoon!

IanS
Old 04-26-2002, 11:56 AM

how do you tell if the o2 sensor is bad?
Old 04-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Crud.

It turns out that Elite was dong the Dyno differently than other shops.

Not sure what the difference was, but the new shop Dyno'ed Elite's way, which they (Both Elite and the new shop) say is the more "actual" way, and then the way most people did it.

Numbers were actually lower on the "actual" Dyno. (145 PEAK!)

Was at almost 170hp Peak in the "other" Dyno style.

I still think there's something wrong with my car, but I can't tell what it is. It'll have to go to a shop soon. Knock sensor seems fine. I'm now thinking either Y-Pipe problem or 02 sensor.

Secondly, the graph on the new Dyno looked pretty much the same as the originaly Dynos. At 5000 RPMs, the hp and Tq just level off, and don't drop as significantly.

So this Dyno really did nothing for me. I'm not even going to show the graphs because they are pretty much the same.

Anyway, I guess we'll wait on Speedtrip to get a "solid" Dyno, as he has a 5spd and that would be more accurate in general.

IanS
Old 04-26-2002, 07:02 PM

tight work man
Old 04-26-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by ZWW21
youd get a whole lot more people to buy this if they didnt have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it. It would suck to pay $570 and then not get anything for it for 6-8 weeks. Just my opinion though.
There's nothing he can do about it. That's how long it takes. You can't just walk into a shop and pick these up. Hell...I haven't found a shop who even knows what this part is.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Question

Originally posted by gibsot

If the VI is closed until 5200 RPM the Dyno should be indentical until that point and once the VI is opened then the Dyno should deviate. Somebody help me if my logic is flawed?
This gain is probably largely to do with the fact that the induction pipes have less of a bend than the stock plenum and I think their shorter.....I should know....I installed it...
Old 04-26-2002, 08:26 PM

My 2 cents on the Dynos....I was there...:)

1) I love lists.

2) No black smoke so stop talking about it. The ECU has no problems compensating.

3) Another possible problem is Ian currently has a disconnected EGR valve...or as I found out, Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This is used to recirculate exhaust that is too rich to expell...so it sends it back into the engine for redetonation.

4) I've heard a lot of talk and seen no dyno reports from other drivers. Are you sure you guys aren't reporting "175+hp" as a result of a non SAE corrected peak....you probably are. My suspision is that NA's are probably all around 145-150hp max average SAE corrected.

5) The VI sounds SICK when it opens up....it gets loud...

6) I drove it....it works....very well....it's very nice because right at the point where a max's hp/tq falls off...the VI kicks in and accelleration climbs all the way thru redline.....Ian hit his rev limiter at 7200 rpm....

7) I have to go to work now.....
Old 04-26-2002, 08:42 PM

ian, don't forget the write up!

thanks in advance...
Old 04-26-2002, 08:52 PM

Re: My 2 cents on the Dynos....I was there...:)

Good point. My car recently dynoed at 179 actual hp, non-corrected. After SAE correction, it was 172 hp. This was done on a dynojet.

DW

Originally posted by ebmorgan
. . . 4) I've heard a lot of talk and seen no dyno reports from other drivers. Are you sure you guys aren't reporting "175+hp" as a result of a non SAE corrected peak....you probably are. My suspision is that NA's are probably all around 145-150hp max average SAE corrected......
Old 04-26-2002, 09:29 PM
SLOW

4) I've heard a lot of talk and seen no dyno reports from other drivers. Are you sure you guys aren't reporting "175+hp" as a result of a non SAE corrected peak....you probably are. My suspision is that NA's are probably all around 145-150hp max average SAE corrected.

As far as 5 speeds go, high 170s and low 180s are the norm for SAE CORRECTED basic bolt on 4th gens. Mine is SAE corrected, I know this for a fact.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

All four of my dynos are SAE corrected. I've never been told what I put down "uncorrected". Correction factor of 1.01. The dynos up in Seattle are screwy, IMO. They might be turning out the right numbers for that particular style of dyno, but everyone else is running on Dynojet 248s. Why don't they use the same thing? Every Dynojet 248 will read a little differently, but basically the numbers will be within 1-2% between machines assuming the correction factors are the same. Take a look around the org and you'll see that nearly every dynoed 4th gen VQ auto that has a y-pipe and intake is putting down ~170fwhp and ~180fwtq.

Dave
Old 04-26-2002, 10:13 PM

1) I love lists.

2) No black smoke so stop talking about it. The ECU has no problems compensating.

3) Another possible problem is Ian currently has a disconnected EGR valve...or as I found out, Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This is used to recirculate exhaust that is too rich to expell...so it sends it back into the engine for redetonation.

5) The VI sounds SICK when it opens up....it gets loud...

6) I drove it....it works....very well....it's very nice because right at the point where a max's hp/tq falls off...the VI kicks in and accelleration climbs all the way thru redline.....Ian hit his rev limiter at 7200 rpm....

7) I have to go to work now.....
Not sure what you mean, eb.

My EGR valve is fully connected. unfortunately, the GASKET to the EGR Valve fell out back there while installing it. It is still connected, however.

I took some hose when I got home and stuck it to my ear then the other end back there to check for any air leaks. None. It's fine, It would just be better with a gasket on it, that's all. If it were disconnected, it would throw a CEL right away. I just checked the hayes manual. It's fine the way it is for now, and I'm sure it's not affecting my Dyno. I'm pretty sure it's one of 3 things:

02 Sensor
Y-Pipe Constricted or not fully attached (It DOES make that weird noise).
Fuel Problem of some kind.

IanS
Old 04-26-2002, 11:56 PM

The good new is that ebmorgan and I had fun laughing at the jackazzes in Tacoma.

IanS
Old 04-26-2002, 11:59 PM

The good news is that ebmorgan and I had fun laughing at the jackazzes in Tacoma.

I think that second one is a Honda, but I'm not sure.

IanS
Old 04-27-2002, 01:09 AM

I've got some bad news.

I just spoke to my supplier. He needs 2 months minimum to get all the parts together for 20 intakes. Right now he has some parts, and nothing of others (He has 1 manifold, 30 Butterflies, but 0 rods)

I need to know interest in this for people that are willing to wait.

Otherwise, Finality may be able to help you, but I don't think he can get more than 5 right now (I may be wrong)

So let me know if you want to do this.

send all mail to "cyberoptik@cablespeed.com"

This is an account I never use, so I will use it to store and keep track of all replies for this.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:07 AM

Whoa.. i've heard alot about how this makes all this hp and torque in the max, but how did this new technology just come out? Was this designed by some custom shop in the Middle East, some performance company, some welder in his garage? IanS, what did you mean when you said "The Nissan Maxima 3.0GV (Middle East VQ30DE) is 220hp stock. Not sure about Torque." Do maxima's in the middle east come equipped with this special "Variable Intake". And what's the "variable" in the intake. I guess i just want to know how this came about all of a sudden and how it works. I've seen very impressive results and gains, but I still can't figure out how it makes such a big difference. Are there special flaps that open up in there or something, larger diameters, etc.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd
Whoa.. i've heard alot about how this makes all this hp and torque in the max, but how did this new technology just come out? Was this designed by some custom shop in the Middle East, some performance company, some welder in his garage? IanS, what did you mean when you said "The Nissan Maxima 3.0GV (Middle East VQ30DE) is 220hp stock. Not sure about Torque." Do maxima's in the middle east come equipped with this special "Variable Intake". And what's the "variable" in the intake. I guess i just want to know how this came about all of a sudden and how it works. I've seen very impressive results and gains, but I still can't figure out how it makes such a big difference. Are there special flaps that open up in there or something, larger diameters, etc.
god i wish i had that picture that says hello and welcome to last week....
Old 04-27-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd
The variable intake came stock on Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) 4th gen Maximas after 97(?). The Japanese only keep their cars for a few years and many used cars get shipped to the middle east. Search and you will find much more info.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:26 AM

Everyone who is still interested, please see my NEW thread in the GD Section.

By the way, it will take 8-12 weeks, maybe a little more, and my supplier wants 50% up front.

IanS
Old 04-27-2002, 01:48 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

That's not what EGR is for...
Old 04-27-2002, 06:30 PM

Here save this, its a good one!!!!!

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

god i wish i had that picture that says hello and welcome to last week....

Old 04-27-2002, 08:05 PM

Re: Re: My 2 cents on the Dynos....I was there...:)

Originally posted by mzmtg

That's not what EGR is for...
Like I said...that's what I was told....
Old 04-27-2002, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I hate to be a cynic... but what is up with your stock run. Power falling off at 5000 rpm? I want this to work, I really do, but seeing the anomalous nature of your dyno plots, I'm not convinced yet. Disregarding your "after" run, I'd say your car has a problem. Your power should not be falling off right at 5000 rpms. I need to see more dyno evidence, and then I'm in for sure.
Naturally aspirated yes youll fall off after 5000RPMS that I can vouch for 5000RPMS the car will bog, but now that I am supercharged it is very beneficial to shift at 6000RPMs to build boost for the next gear.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by JAY25

Naturally aspirated yes youll fall off after 5000RPMS that I can vouch for 5000RPMS the car will bog, but now that I am supercharged it is very beneficial to shift at 6000RPMs to build boost for the next gear.
Jamie, dont you mean 6500?
Old 04-28-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Jamie, dont you mean 6500?
Yeah thats what I meant
Old 04-28-2002, 11:00 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by JAY25

Sucks to be auto I guess... I make my peak power at 5500 and it doesn't start to dip horribly until 5900
Old 04-28-2002, 12:10 PM

Well, thanks for your insight.

Anyway, I now have an update:

1)It will take up to 3 months to get to the US (More than likely only 2, but I'm being safe)

2)Cost will be $560 shipped UPS Ground (If you want faster, let me know)

3)I need the money up front.

4)send mail to cyberoptik@cablespeed.com (one of my many accounts) if interested, and see the Thread in the GD Section.

5)If I seem shady, I'm not. Many people in Seattle (Jeff92SE, airmattdog, etc) know me and know I'm far from shady. Also, I have already sold Speedtrip a VI, and it will be arriving at his place this week. he can vouch for me once he gets it.

Anyway, if you are all still interested, shoot me a mail.

IanS
Old 04-28-2002, 12:20 PM

Hey Ian check with your supplier again. I double checked the weight of the VI and the actualy shipping cost from the ME. It came to about 2X of what they originally estimated.

Cost me an extra $100 just to get it sent. Ended up losing $100 on the deal but what can I do......
Old 04-28-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Finality
Hey Ian check with your supplier again. I double checked the weight of the VI and the actualy shipping cost from the ME. It came to about 2X of what they originally estimated.

Cost me an extra $100 just to get it sent. Ended up losing $100 on the deal but what can I do......
I have a copy of the shipping charter here in front of me. It's $110 for 9 kgs, which is what this costs.

What did they estimate yours for?

IanS
Old 04-28-2002, 11:22 PM

I have a copy of the shipping charter here in front of me. It's $110 for 9 kgs, which is what this costs.

What did they estimate yours for?

IanS
$200 (might have been $180) for 9kgs...

It was actually on the UPS receipt. What carrier did they send it by?
Old 04-29-2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Finality

$200 (might have been $180) for 9kgs...

It was actually on the UPS receipt. What carrier did they send it by?
They used UPS!?!? No wonder why.

British Airways through some other transport service.

I already had 2 (18kg) shipped to me for $220.

IanS
Old 04-29-2002, 12:06 AM

Everyone who has contacted me, if you do not receive an E-Mail from me tonight, shoot me an E-Mail at cyberoptik@cablespeed.com reminding me that I've talked to you.

Also, Check out the thread in the GD Section called "Variable Intake Group Deal"

i will no longer post GD subjects in this thread.

Thanks,
IanS
Old 04-29-2002, 02:45 PM

People interested in the VI's

I should be getting mail sometime this week from my supplier telling me that the product is on it's way. Will be running a group deal for this mod. It takes about the same shipping time as Ian. My contact is from Japan. It takes about a month for him to get all the pieces together and 5-7 days to get to you door from then. So your looking at about 6 weeks total which is the downside. The good side is it only cost $500. And if you want it sent freight it would be $45 dollars cheaper but take 30-45 more days. So, you would be looking at 5-7 weeks from sending the payment and shipping it Air...to 9-12 weeks shipped freight. But, I'm still waiting on the piece. I will post a group deal on this once I get my part in...hopefully be in by the end of this week...maybe middle of next week. Just to keep everyone posted.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I'm confused. If we want to order one, do we go with Ian or Mr C.?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Variable Intake (NA) Dyno Results!