4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen Variable Intake (NA) Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

4th Gen Variable Intake (NA) Dyno Results!

First Run is in Red. This is with the VI turned off.

2nd Run is in Blue, and set at 5000 RPMs, which we found to be the best result.

Old 04-23-2002, 07:24 PM
mb1

doesn't work
Old 04-23-2002, 07:26 PM

Sorry, was VPN'ed into work....I really need another machine to use as a Web Server....unfortunately, ebmorgan has my only other motherboard.

Anyway, try now.

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 07:30 PM

Ian do you have the datafiles for the dynojet viewer now as well? It's a lot easier to look at the graph when the scales are the same and you can view one or both graphs as you choose.
-hype
Old 04-23-2002, 07:30 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cool
Old 04-23-2002, 07:31 PM
mb1

look like you got a HUGE gain up top.

Holy cow !! It does work !!! I wanna get this instead of NOS!!

but, I don't understand why the blue line has higher power than the redline from the beginning. Shouldnt it show higher power only after 5k, since the valve settings were same for both runs before 5k?

Very nice!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looks like i gotta start saving... how much again?
Old 04-23-2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Ian do you have the datafiles for the dynojet viewer now as well? It's a lot easier to look at the graph when the scales are the same and you can view one or both graphs as you choose.
-hype
Yes, I have them, but somehow the numbers look different. Maybe I don't know how to use the program (I just used it now), but Torque is alot less (still increased, but less) on the graphs when I load those 2 runs.

Maybe Alex from Elite Motorsports can explain? I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Maybe I created the graphs wrong.

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: Holy cow !! It does work !!! I wanna get this instead of NOS!!

Originally posted by hokiemax
but, I don't understand why the blue line has higher power than the redline from the beginning. Shouldnt it show higher power only after 5k, since the valve settings were same for both runs before 5k?
I'm not quite sure why that is either. It's just how it looks, maybe there's a margin of error on these things.

Once again, Alex would probably know....hopefully he'll see this thread.

By the way, the "cuts" in the lines later on the graph are just from the printer.

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 07:37 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I don't know....but to me $500 for only a 7.5HP increase to the wheels isn't worth it..
Old 04-23-2002, 07:39 PM

Would you mind sending them to me Ian? If you look at the graph the 2 upper curves are the torque curve. You say that the blue graph is with the VI open the whole time, but if this is the case the VI made more power open at 4k than the VI closed Both torque curves drop around 4800, but the blue is ALWAYS on top. It looks like the VI being open at 4k-redline shows more torque than the VI closed the whole time.
-hype
Old 04-23-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I don't know....but to me $500 for only a 7.5HP increase to the wheels isn't worth it..
On paper it's only a 7.5hp gain, but that's only talking about Peak horsepower. If you look at the torque curve it is shifted up for the entire dyno, which means you gain power in every gear for the duration of the whole gear.
-hype

Originally posted by xHypex
Would you mind sending them to me Ian? If you look at the graph the 2 upper curves are the torque curve. You say that the blue graph is with the VI open the whole time, but if this is the case the VI made more power open at 4k than the VI closed Both torque curves drop around 4800, but the blue is ALWAYS on top. It looks like the VI being open at 4k-redline shows more torque than the VI closed the whole time.
-hype
Nonono.

The VI was CLOSED the whole time on the Red Run, open at 5000 RPMs on the Blue lines.

And sure, I'll send them to you. Maybe you can figure out why they're different from what was printed....I'm sure I've got something wrong when setting up the graph.

IanS

well so whats the hp increase?
Old 04-23-2002, 07:45 PM

Re: Holy cow !! It does work !!! I wanna get this instead of NOS!!

That's what I was thinking. From the graph it looks like you should just leave the VI ON all the way from 4000 rpms on up. Or maybe even lower, if the graph could show it.

Also, is it just me, or does the rpm range look kindof narrow?? I figured the dyno chart would cover the range from 2000-6500 rpm.

FYI, don't mind me for being so critical. I still really appreciate everything you've done, Ian. Great stuff

DW

Originally posted by hokiemax
Old 04-23-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
well so whats the hp increase?
Up to 23 horsepower at 6200 RPMs.

It's all about the curve. Not what the Max Horsepower is. That's negligable. Even a Y-pipe, if you look at Max Horsepower, only shows 2-3hp gain. But at high RPMs, it shows up to 12-15.

Disclaimer:
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not)

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 07:48 PM

DW the reason it starts so high is because it's hard to get the automatics from downshifting. With a 5spd you can just leave it in gear and go The dyno would probably have been more helpful if there was a run with the VI open the whole time and the VI closed the whole time. Then you would know to switch over when you started losing torque from the long runners. The strange thing to me is that if the VI only opened at 5k why is the blue torque curve higher than the red one when the VI is closed on both runs at that point on the graph
-hype
Old 04-23-2002, 07:55 PM

ohh i like this mod
Old 04-23-2002, 07:59 PM

Also, it's about the area under the curve. The greater the area, the more wide ranging power there is. The VI increases that area substantially. This mod is da bomb

XHypex, thnx for the explanation about the autos on the dyno.

DW

Originally posted by iansw

Up to 23 horsepower at 6200 RPMs.

It's all about the curve. Not what the Max Horsepower is. That's negligable. Even a Y-pipe, if you look at Max Horsepower, only shows 2-3hp gain. But at high RPMs, it shows up to 12-15.

Disclaimer:
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not)

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 08:02 PM

OK...

The Dyno was printed by the guy at the shop, and he knows better than I, but i still don't know how he got the numbers he did. I'm sure there's good reason, but this next pic is of the raw data for the entire Dyno from 0 MPH. You'll see big dips in the Dyno, these are gear shifts, and I'm not sure what that means in relation to RPM's, but that's just how it looks.

Because I don't really understand why the first graph came out with those numbers, I am posting this. Maybe someone can explain.

Also, in this new graph, it is in relation to speed, to show the gear shifts and what the HP and TQ are right before the shifts.

IanS

Old 04-23-2002, 08:09 PM

Oh yeah.

Anyone notice that I have a GXE, and NO GOVERNOR!

That was nice to find out.

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 08:44 PM

this gets better by the moment i swear
Old 04-23-2002, 09:04 PM

OK...

The Dyno was printed by the guy at the shop, and he knows better than I, but i still don't know how he got the numbers he did. I'm sure there's good reason, but this next pic is of the raw data for the entire Dyno from 0 MPH. You'll see big dips in the Dyno, these are gear shifts, and I'm not sure what that means in relation to RPM's, but that's just how it looks.

Because I don't really understand why the first graph came out with those numbers, I am posting this. Maybe someone can explain.

Also, in this new graph, it is in relation to speed, to show the gear shifts and what the HP and TQ are right before the shifts.

IanS

What's up with the torque? 414 ft-lbs seems a little odd. . .
Old 04-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Man, I seriously wish that their dyno wasn't such a peice of crap. This CLEARLY points out that all machines read differently, some worse than others. Not only does this shop have crap equipment, they didn't correct your curves to show a smoother plot. From what I can tell, peak power with the butterflies occurs at 5200rpms (which is about right for a auto) and peak power with butterflies open occurs at 6000rpms with power holding on quite bit longer. The problem is these numbers are so low compared to other 4th gen VQs, it's hard to gauge the honest gains.

The good news to me is that Ian is making 145fwtq at 6000rpms which is what I'm making in my 5 speed with a y-pipe, UDP, B-pipe, and intake. Seeing that Ian is making about 15% less overall power on this crappy dyno than other 4th gen VQs, it looks to me like this manifold is indeed working. 145 X 1.15 = ~167fwtq is what a better dyno would most likely show which is a lot better than my relatively strong running 5 speed. The peak gains are relatively low (8 fwhp), but I'd bet they would be closer to 12fwhp on another dyno. We could possibly be looking at 15fwhp with the 5 speed. The biggest news is the fact that the power honestly holds on till 6000rpms. This is huge IMO. On a 5 speed 4th gen, the optimal shifts would look like this:

1-2 6500
2-3 6500
3-4 6200

More than likely you will not have to shift to 4th in the 1/4 mile therefore dropping .1-.2 seconds alone just because you can hold to the gears longer and forego the 3-4 shift. This mod might be good for .3-.4 drop in ET

Dave
Old 04-23-2002, 09:36 PM

Dave I agree that the dyno is off, but it's all we have to work with right now :/ If we got a 5spd dynoing we could get more consistant results as well. If you look at the baseline runs 1 and 3 you'll see that even they are off somewhat.
Ian let me see his dyno files so I split them up and put together a spreadsheet. The peak hp gain was 6.62hp, the average hp gain between 5k-6300 was 11.76hp with a max gain of 23.30hp@6300 (this was the highest reading I had for all of the runs). The peak hp also shifted up from ~5100 to 5900 so that's good I'm sure some of you guys can do better statistical analysis than I so here's some more data to work with.
http://www.vanillaice.com/webmasters/hype/iansw/ian.htm
-hype
Old 04-23-2002, 09:42 PM

all right, I'm ready to set it and forget it. How much and where do I get one? hehe I think NOS is definitely out the window for me now. Thanks for the dilemma IanS This looks sweet.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:43 PM

Impressive!

All I can say is wow. Seeing the dramatic gains up top where the US Max runs outta steam. One thing I noticed from you picture as well, is that you better make sure you change out those plugs before you put the manifold on! Looks like the new manifold blocks access to the spark plugs. I think these numbers are especially impressive when you factor in that this is an automatic with the torque converter sucking up some of the juice. I also think that dyno to dyno differences can be great, but back to back runs with positive gain definitely means there is an improvement, and a huge one at that.

Can you give us some driving impressions and seat of the pants feelings on how the car drives now?

BTW, if you have the Security and Convience Package on the GXE, I don't think it should have a governor/limiter.

-V

... and if you don't mind me asking, what was the final $$$ for everything? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2002, 10:02 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Too bad hp doesn't increase all the way until redline. The improvement looks significant. Congrats!

You'll get a lot more power if you lean out the air fuel mixture.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:01 PM

So is there gonna be a group deal on these now? I'm trading in my maxima for a 5spd and would like to put this one with it.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:03 PM
SLOW

I hate to be a cynic... but what is up with your stock run. Power falling off at 5000 rpm? I want this to work, I really do, but seeing the anomalous nature of your dyno plots, I'm not convinced yet. Disregarding your "after" run, I'd say your car has a problem. Your power should not be falling off right at 5000 rpms. I need to see more dyno evidence, and then I'm in for sure.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I hate to be a cynic... but what is up with your stock run. Power falling off at 5000 rpm? I want this to work, I really do, but seeing the anomalous nature of your dyno plots, I'm not convinced yet. Disregarding your "after" run, I'd say your car has a problem. Your power should not be falling off right at 5000 rpms. I need to see more dyno evidence, and then I'm in for sure.
Every Maxima I've ever seen (4th Gen), falls off at 5000 RPMs

Unless they're S/C'ed or Turboed.

Someone back me up on this.

Also, in reply to previous posts:

1) I don't think their Dyno is crap, just different somewhat.
the results in the 2nd graph aren't smoothed out because It was from raw data, and I made that graph.
The high torque seems to happen in first gear on all the Dynos. I don't get it.

2)The Butt Dyno tells me it's ALOT more than the dyno graph read. But butt Dynos are obviously inaccurate.

3) Driving Impressions and "Problem with my car":

Tonight ebmorgan (1996 I30 that has always seemed to always match me in races (from a roll or a stop)) and I went out to the freeway. We lined up with each other, slowed down to 50, and floored it.

I thought he messed up and didn't hit the gas right. So I slowed down again and matched up and floored it.

We pulled over, and he said "Dude, I WAS racing you. I had it pegged!" I don't know why, but I left him at a standstill. I was gaining 1/4 car length per second on him. I know this makes no sense, but it happened.

This tells me 2 things:
1)The VI Works, and works extremely well
2)Theres nothing wrong with my car.

4)All Spark Plugs are 100% accessible. (see link)
www.cyberhub.net/intake/installed/plugs.jpg

IanS

IanS
Old 04-24-2002, 01:08 AM

youd get a whole lot more people to buy this if they didnt have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it. It would suck to pay $570 and then not get anything for it for 6-8 weeks. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:08 AM

Nice job! Well done! Wonder how much this would help my turbo! But then again I have huge top end. Anyone know of a good mod to help bottom end?
Old 04-24-2002, 01:43 AM

OK. I've been thinking.

i am running a little rich according to the graphs.

One thing this may be from is that I just reset the computer the day before doing the Dyno.

I checked the ECU today, and no Knock Sensor code or anything else.

I am going to drive it around for 2 weeks, and then I'll Dyno again.

Maybe the computer needs time to "learn" the Intake.

Otherwise, you guys are the experts. Tell me what I can check to make sure the car is in top shape. Plugs are less than 5k old (NGK Platinums) Fuel Filter is 5k old, tranny fluid is 5k old and Redline Synthetic. Oil is Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So why am I running rich? Why are my Dyno numbers less than comparable vehicles?

Could it just be my big 18" TSW's?!?

Thanks,
IanS
Old 04-24-2002, 03:52 AM

Question

OK. I've been thinking.

i am running a little rich according to the graphs.

One thing this may be from is that I just reset the computer the day before doing the Dyno.

I checked the ECU today, and no Knock Sensor code or anything else.

I am going to drive it around for 2 weeks, and then I'll Dyno again.

Maybe the computer needs time to "learn" the Intake.

Otherwise, you guys are the experts. Tell me what I can check to make sure the car is in top shape. Plugs are less than 5k old (NGK Platinums) Fuel Filter is 5k old, tranny fluid is 5k old and Redline Synthetic. Oil is Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So why am I running rich? Why are my Dyno numbers less than comparable vehicles?

Thanks,
IanS
If the VI is closed until 5200 RPM the Dyno should be indentical until that point and once the VI is opened then the Dyno should deviate. Somebody help me if my logic is flawed?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by ZWW21
youd get a whole lot more people to buy this if they didnt have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it. It would suck to pay $570 and then not get anything for it for 6-8 weeks. Just my opinion though.
no, people will buy this no matter what with the gains it looks to have. Maximas need all the help they can get and this looks like a nice add on. I for one am looking to help my autotragic anyway I can.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:24 AM

That's what I suggested earlier. How much do they weigh?? And, what tire size do you have on them?

DW

Thanks,
IanS
Old 04-24-2002, 06:25 AM

How do you think this will react with the JWT ECU?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Too bad hp doesn't increase all the way until redline. The improvement looks significant. Congrats!

You'll get a lot more power if you lean out the air fuel mixture.
I'm wondering if this will help even more at that top end to lean it out and give a little more power. Anyone have any insight into this? I know it advances the timing and has different fuel maps, but does it operate throughout the RPM's or only in a certain area?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Variable Intake (NA) Dyno Results!