4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Talked with a Nissan deal salesman today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:20 PM

Talked with a Nissan deal salesman today...

Today I went to the Nissan dealer to look at what 2002 Max's they had out there, and I talked with this salesman about the Maxima and Altima for about 20 minutes. He told me that in 2003 they are going to have the V8 option, because they are changing the Maxima into more of a Lexus/Avalon looking car...aka longer and wider. It's going to have about 275-280 horsepower, but will be a lot heavier and will not be as sporty. However, they will be replacing the Maxima with the Altima as the sporty car of the line...hence the 3.5L Altima have the 2001 Maxima engine. And then next year, as the Maxima gets the bigger engine, the Altima will get the 2002 Maxima engine. So basically Nissan keeps upgrading the Altima to move the sportiness of the Max over to it. The Max will still be Nissan's flagship car, but it will just be bigger and more luxurious, to appeal to the Lexus/3-series BMW owners. Don't know how many of you guys know this info, but I thought I would just throw it out there.
-Dave
Old 04-25-2002, 09:27 AM

Re: Talked with a Nissan deal salesman today...

Here we go again ....
Old 04-25-2002, 09:33 AM
I need a truck

Re: Re: Talked with a Nissan deal salesman today...

Originally posted by pocketrocket
Here we go again ....
if they ever put those fugly lights that the new es has on the max .. i will boycott nissan
Old 04-25-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by SoccrZ
Today I went to the Nissan dealer to look at what 2002 Max's they had out there, and I talked with this salesman about the Maxima and Altima for about 20 minutes. He told me that in 2003 they are going to have the V8 option, because they are changing the Maxima into more of a Lexus/Avalon looking car...aka longer and wider. It's going to have about 275-280 horsepower, but will be a lot heavier and will not be as sporty. However, they will be replacing the Maxima with the Altima as the sporty car of the line...hence the 3.5L Altima have the 2001 Maxima engine. And then next year, as the Maxima gets the bigger engine, the Altima will get the 2002 Maxima engine. So basically Nissan keeps upgrading the Altima to move the sportiness of the Max over to it. The Max will still be Nissan's flagship car, but it will just be bigger and more luxurious, to appeal to the Lexus/3-series BMW owners. Don't know how many of you guys know this info, but I thought I would just throw it out there.
-Dave
Not trying to start another fued but the 02 altimas already have the 02 maxima engine, it comes in the altima 3.5se, as for the rest that is true, the maxima will have a v8 option maybe not next year but atleast by 04, i worked for a nissan deal, but trust me not even the dealership knows everything about what nissan has planned
Old 04-25-2002, 10:01 AM

I'm just gonna lay low for a while ...
Old 04-25-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Talked with a Nissan deal salesman today...

Originally posted by Conrad283

if they ever put those fugly lights that the new es has on the max .. i will boycott nissan
fugly
Old 04-26-2002, 09:55 AM

1. word a v8 hmmmmmm i may stay wit nissan a little while longer
2. the altima is gonna be the "sporty" car ohh no
3. fugly!!!! HAHAHA
Old 04-26-2002, 10:09 AM

sorry to say that if my maxima ever gets screwed up again, i am prolly gonna go the altima route =[ ..........well - i guess the nissan enthusiasts could move on to the 350Z if they want speed (if they want a new car)
Old 04-26-2002, 10:20 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Originally posted by SoccrZ
-Dave
blah blah blah, unless you know the President of Sales and Marketing..
Old 04-26-2002, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

THANK YOU
Old 04-26-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by maximachad

THANK YOU
V8? Is this the one that's currently in the Q45?

Sorry, but I'm not a really big fan anymore of Zs/Fairlady even since drooling over the Skyline.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:33 AM

Evo VII is gonna own all
Old 04-26-2002, 12:11 PM

maxima will remain the same for next year, 2003, the year after that they say they will change it, but untill then, this fall nissan has a new crossover SUV coming out, it looks really nice, can't wait to drive them

Vinipux

p.s. I work for nissan right now
Old 04-26-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Vinipux
maxima will remain the same for next year, 2003, the year after that they say they will change it, but untill then, this fall nissan has a new crossover SUV coming out, it looks really nice, can't wait to drive them

Vinipux

p.s. I work for nissan right now
Yeah i heard this from the dealer too that the 2003 is the same...
2004 will totally be different...
i guess its time for spy photos again...
Old 04-26-2002, 12:20 PM

Is this V8 Max gonna be FWD or RWD? could be interesting.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

Hey man, I was just stating what the sales guy told me. Don't hate on the messenger.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:48 PM

Did you see Joan of Arc? She was just the messenger, but she got burned at the stake.

After hundered of years, fate repeats itself.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

v8 in a maxima? turn-in weight is gonna be ****. ah crap here we go. I dont get it, if they made it more lux wouldnt that cut into i30 sales? why not just make the i30 differnt? Ahh it doenst matter, i stoped liking maximas after when the 5.5gen came out.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:41 AM

what about the tranny?

will the v8 max have a manual tranny?
Old 04-27-2002, 08:02 AM

With my limited knowledge, this is what is probably gonna happen. The maxima will become basically an Infiniti Q45. Nissan will play it smart and instead of completely designing a new car and engine will redo the bodystyle of the Q and call it the "new" nissan maxima. maybe a couple of upgrades here and there. Every nissan has it's corresponding infiniti. The G20=Sentra, I30=Max, QX4=Pathfinder, 350Z is very close to the G35, so that leaves the Q45, infiniti's flagship, to becoome the next max. Probably won't be too thrilling for us maxima owners. We may have to switch over to the Altima or a 350Z which i wouldn't mind too much, unless you want to be some mafioso high roller and buy a bigass luxury vehichle (new max).
Old 04-27-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd
With my limited knowledge, this is what is probably gonna happen. The maxima will become basically an Infiniti Q45. Nissan will play it smart and instead of completely designing a new car and engine will redo the bodystyle of the Q and call it the "new" nissan maxima. maybe a couple of upgrades here and there. Every nissan has it's corresponding infiniti. The G20=Sentra, I30=Max, QX4=Pathfinder, 350Z is very close to the G35, so that leaves the Q45, infiniti's flagship, to becoome the next max. Probably won't be too thrilling for us maxima owners. We may have to switch over to the Altima or a 350Z which i wouldn't mind too much, unless you want to be some mafioso high roller and buy a bigass luxury vehichle (new max).
Arrgghhh!!!! In case people haven't heard, Nissan is striving to make Infiniti a different vehicle line up. They might share the same platform but it ends there.

G20 != Sentra (same SR20DE powertrain, different platform, etc, same compact class).
350Z != G35 other than platform and same engine.

I am getting rather fed up with people comments that are completely wrong!

Some things are very similar ... current Maxima & Pathfinder and its Infiniti clones but things are changing, so stop preaching unless you know! I often refer to the G20 as the Sentra sister because they have the same powertrain and same classification (compact).

I don't see anyone bitc*hing about the Escalade & its clone, or about Mercury & Fords, or about GMC & Chevy ... just put a cork in it. If every car manufacturer made one engine and platform for each vehicle they made, they'd be out of business in no time. If you don't like it, then just get a non-Nissan! End of story.

Maxima has always been considered as the flagship of sedans ... just sportier. It's a souped-up grocery getter but most of us treat it as more. If it doesn't meet your criteria for being a 0-60 < 6 seconds, got get a sports car. Quit your bitc*hing.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

Arrgghhh!!!! In case people haven't heard, Nissan is striving to make Infiniti a different vehicle line up. They might share the same platform but it ends there.

G20 != Sentra (same SR20DE powertrain, different platform, etc, same compact class).
350Z != G35 other than platform and same engine.

I am getting rather fed up with people comments that are completely wrong!

Some things are very similar ... current Maxima & Pathfinder and its Infiniti clones but things are changing, so stop preaching unless you know! I often refer to the G20 as the Sentra sister because they have the same powertrain and same classification (compact).

I don't see anyone bitc*hing about the Escalade & its clone, or about Mercury & Fords, or about GMC & Chevy ... just put a cork in it. If every car manufacturer made one engine and platform for each vehicle they made, they'd be out of business in no time. If you don't like it, then just get a non-Nissan! End of story.

Maxima has always been considered as the flagship of sedans ... just sportier. It's a souped-up grocery getter but most of us treat it as more. If it doesn't meet your criteria for being a 0-60 < 6 seconds, got get a sports car. Quit your bitc*hing.
Preach it my brother!

Camry=Solara=Highlander=ES300=RX300

all the same platform, now thats too much sharing
Old 04-27-2002, 01:49 PM

I hope that frustration wasn't aimed at me man. I was just stating facts, instead of "what nissan is striving to" do. I think the new Q is an awesome car 340hp, 0-60 in less than 6 sec., enough goodies to make u cream your pants. I wouldn't be dissapointed if the next maxima was "based" on that platform. Also, I didn't see anyone b*tching about nissans up in here. You seem to be the only one doing so.

Can't we all just get along??
Old 04-27-2002, 01:53 PM

I would like to sincerely apologise for the following statement " Probably won't be too thrilling for us maxima owners." I was probably in a ****ed off mood cuz my girl was b*tching at me.
Maximas will always be the kings of thier class
Old 04-27-2002, 02:49 PM

Keep an eye on the M45

But by that time, I should hopefully have my 545 or new new M5
Old 04-27-2002, 03:00 PM

My comments aren't directed towards anyone ... just responding to the comments posted. So please don't take offense

And before anyone starts, M45 is a Nissan clone too, so don't badger the rebadging