4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NEED HELP! Whats this green fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 02:28 PM

NEED HELP! Whats this green fluid?

I'm replacing my alternator and im following the haynes manual and i got to the part where they tell me to disconnect the uper radiator hose and the overflow hose at the radiator to remove the fan. I remvoed the upper radiator hose and then all this green fluid came spilling out.. and went everwhere.. all over my engine compartment. Is this fluid dangerous? What happens if i dont clean all this green fluid out of the engine compartment adn drive my car? Is this normal when changing an alternator?
Old 05-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

Um, thats Ati-freeze
Old 05-05-2002, 02:34 PM

Sounds like engine coolant, I could be wrong. If it is, just clean up what you can and no its not dangerous aslong as it doesnt get on any of your fuses. Same thing happened to me and I just refilled it and everything works fine.
Jules
*edit* thought i had the term wrong. Above post.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:36 PM

So when you changed ur alternator this same thing happen to you?

Originally posted by jules
Sounds like engine coolant, I could be wrong. If it is, just clean up what you can and no its not dangerous aslong as it doesnt get on any of your fuses. Same thing happened to me and I just refilled it and everything works fine.
Jules
Old 05-05-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Larcenist
So when you changed ur alternator this same thing happen to you?

Yes, when I finished I refilled it and everything worked fine. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:16 PM

i can't even replace the alternator!

Just great!.... i finally get to the alternator and when i get there I see that the bolt holding the alternator in place has some how either melted and is now welded on there or was welded there to begin with.. So all this work taking apart everything to get to my alternator to replace it was for nothing.

Originally posted by jules

Yes, when I finished I refilled it and everything worked fine. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:08 AM

nevermind.. i was looking at the wrong bolt. I got my alternator replace and a **** load of coolent on my driveway.. But its all done now.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:13 AM
rmb

Re: NEED HELP! Whats this green fluid?

I'm replacing my alternator and im following the haynes manual and i got to the part where they tell me to disconnect the uper radiator hose and the overflow hose at the radiator to remove the fan. I remvoed the upper radiator hose and then all this green fluid came spilling out.. and went everwhere.. all over my engine compartment. Is this fluid dangerous? What happens if i dont clean all this green fluid out of the engine compartment adn drive my car? Is this normal when changing an alternator?
Comon, are you kidding?

-RMB
Old 05-06-2002, 08:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: NEED HELP! Whats this green fluid?

And this guy is actually replacing his own alternator?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: NEED HELP! Whats this green fluid?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

And this guy is actually replacing his own alternator?
That's exactly what I thought

FLO_BOY
Old 05-06-2002, 02:09 PM

...and the fluid isn't 100% safe, either. If you put a little of it on your finger and lick it off, it tastes a little sweet.

Any dogs or cats in the area will love the smell - and the taste. It takes about 2oz. of coolant (50/50) to kill a cat. Event that small an amount can make a dog VERY sick, and even possibly blind him.

Make sure you hose down the spilled coolant ASAP.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by MChapel
...and the fluid isn't 100% safe, either. If you put a little of it on your finger and lick it off, it tastes a little sweet.

Any dogs or cats in the area will love the smell - and the taste. It takes about 2oz. of coolant (50/50) to kill a cat. Event that small an amount can make a dog VERY sick, and even possibly blind him.

Make sure you hose down the spilled coolant ASAP.
DAH. My feelings exactly.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:37 PM

Well as you guys already guess im not a mechanic.. and new to cars so gimme a break. I followed all the instructions given to me step by step and none of the steps told me to drain out my coolent. I want to learn and learning involves mistakes so I guess i made a big one. Kind of makes me feel like not fixing my own car problems now though, cuz its it just sucks when everything goes wrong. I swear I've had the worse week ever... a hit and run.. alternator breaks... coolent all over the place... den brand new alternator belts rips. I dont get it...

Originally posted by peteymax99
DAH. My feelings exactly.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:26 PM
rmb

Well as you guys already guess im not a mechanic.. and new to cars so gimme a break. I followed all the instructions given to me step by step and none of the steps told me to drain out my coolent. I want to learn and learning involves mistakes so I guess i made a big one. Kind of makes me feel like not fixing my own car problems now though, cuz its it just sucks when everything goes wrong. I swear I've had the worse week ever... a hit and run.. alternator breaks... coolent all over the place... den brand new alternator belts rips. I dont get it...

Well, I've got to hand it to ya'

For a dude that didn't know what coolant looked like, you've got some pretty big cajones swapping out your own alternator.... In this car too... It's a beotch.

Welcome to the club of skinless knuckles and perma-dirt under your fingernails...

-RMB
Old 05-07-2002, 05:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You're all wrong. It's blinker fluid.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Lime
You're all wrong. It's blinker fluid.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:11 AM

well, i figured out why my new alternator belt ripped. It seems the alternator they sold me had a smaller pulley than my original. It came off of a '99 maxima... most likely da later models and it seems that those are different from da rest of the 4th gen maximas.