4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Budget Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:12 PM

Shhhhh, dont tell budget. Well its proly cuz they want more $$, 10 people will buy there pipe and like 3 people buy WS cuz its 350 big ones... And i dont think its that hard to make a pipe so i dont know what ther other makers are thinking.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Our stainless Y pipes are either MIG or TIG welded and are 100% mandrel bent. They are $299 for the TIG version and $275 for the MIG version.

The reason there is a price difference is that thanks to NAFTA there is no longer a tarriff on the steel or products imported into the US from Canada. Since we use only domestic steel made in the US it costs us more than the Canadian steel which is cheaper. With the current exchange rate of $.64 vs the US Dollar theirs is cheaper. The budget pipes are non mandrel bent, I am uncertain as to the welding process they use or the source of their steel. We do however offer a mandrel bent aluminized steel version for $225 which has a 4 year no rust through warranty, like all of our pipes it will be no louder than stock and have no hissing or bees in a can sound.

Dallas
Old 05-13-2002, 11:19 PM

But is that difference in steel price (canadian vs. USA) really $100+? Don't get me wrong dallas, your products look great and I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into the maxima community, but i'm just tring to make an educated decision on what is the real difference between WSP SS Y pipe and the Budget SS Y pipe, besides the way it was welded and the price.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I suppose we could sell a non or mandrel bent stainless Y pipe with parts imported from canada but really made in Malaysia or Indonesia and sell it for less but it does not meet our standards. There is a difference between mandrel bent and non. It seems however those that do not sell it are the ones telling how it makes no difference.

Any of our Y pipes will perform better than any other Y pipe out there. Period. I have seen the stillen and Ca**man pipes, we have a Ca**man pipe in our shop now. Ours are bigger and flow better. If the budget pipes trip your trigger than buy one, at $299 ours are a bargain.

Dallas
Old 05-14-2002, 05:49 PM

there really is no other reason to get anything but budget unless u want like 1 more hp if that from mandrel
Old 05-14-2002, 06:20 PM

i run 15.3 unofficially now, will the y pipe get me into the 14's?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:03 PM

From all I've read, budget pipe is a good option, but after talking to Dallas and seeing 100% very positive feedback on .org for them (budget also positive, but less fanatically so), I went with the non-mandrel WSP aluminized ($210 shipped) - they are probably a little quieter (not much of an issue), and I would guess the flex section is more durable (they're pretty fanatical about it at WSP but I can't say I know this for sure) - I'm pretty sure the budget flex potion is not SS.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:08 PM
CJP

Yeah, but do you have to wait 2 months for it?

Originally posted by tyrotrader
From all I've read, budget pipe is a good option, but after talking to Dallas and seeing 100% very positive feedback on .org for them (budget also positive, but less fanatically so), I went with the non-mandrel WSP aluminized ($210 shipped) - they are probably a little quieter (not much of an issue), and I would guess the flex section is more durable (they're pretty fanatical about it at WSP but I can't say I know this for sure) - I'm pretty sure the budget flex potion is not SS.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Banned

tyrotrader the flex sections of the budget pipe ARE indeed SS, in fact they are T-304 and very high quality. Budget uses a non lined flex because they don't believe any flex joints they have seen are worthy of being installed on their pipes. They have a couple of lined flex joints on their shelves, I was shown them when I was there getting my Y-Pipe installed but they are concerned about how they hold together so will not install them. All Y-Pipe makers buy their flex joints from someone else, they do not make them themselves.
I also believe there is less restriction in an unlined pipe because the surface is smoother and larger in size. You also don't have to take your cat off to check and see if the lining has come loose.
If you want to pay $210 for an aluminized steel pipe when you could have a T-304 Stainless pipe for $170 shipped then I guess thats a bargain?

PS One thing y'all have found out, if you want customer service, just start a thread with WSP and Budget on the same line, much more effective than calling or emailing.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:34 PM

Yea, its been 3 days with no reply form them... Does anyone want to sell there Y pipe? i need it fast.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:59 PM

Jime, when I was researching, I found an "up close look at the Budget y-pipe" link from another site - maybe maximadriver.com? - it was generally favorable, but noted that it was not all SS - not sure that matters much and WSP equivalent isn't SS at all (fine for me as I live in Mississippi) They are both great deals - I still think WSP is probably a little better - I was really sold when Dallas started taking me through the install over the phone without my even really asking - he'd have spent >1/2 hr with me easy without a thought - he does flame a bit much, but I can tell part of that is passion about his craft and not all just "business".
Old 05-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Banned

Jime, when I was researching, I found an "up close look at the Budget y-pipe" link from another site - maybe maximadriver.com? - it was generally favorable, but noted that it was not all SS - not sure that matters much and WSP equivalent isn't SS at all (fine for me as I live in Mississippi) They are both great deals - I still think WSP is probably a little better - I was really sold when Dallas started taking me through the install over the phone without my even really asking - he'd have spent >1/2 hr with me easy without a thought - he does flame a bit much, but I can tell part of that is passion about his craft and not all just "business".
Well magnets don't stick to anywhere on mine and that is the easiest way to tell. I was told by Jeff at Budget that the flanges are not Stainless, but neither are anyone elses. I don't know that for sure. He said that a Stainless flange will not hold up so they are made from steel.
Yes I don't like it when someone berates another product when trying to sell their own. If your product can't make it on its own merits, then make it better, don't put down the competition.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:05 AM

Y-pipe competition!

Look at you guys, WSP is down in the States and they have market over there heads. The quality is there and they are Mandrel bent so I'm not woried about them running out of buisness. Budget is up in Canada and has it's own market, so stop all the nit picking. If some one from Canada orders from the States he payes extra for shipping(extra over the boarder), custom fees(6%+), plus taxes. Similar for the States ordering from Canada. So for a Canadian not having to pay almost twice the price is a good deal.

Oh by the way you guys did compare WSP in USD and Budget in CDN?
Old 05-18-2002, 01:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Flanman007
I still dont understand why the Warpspeed SS Y is more than $100 more than Budget's, because its TIG welded? or what? I'm looking for a pipe that can withstand New England weather, have the best gains, and have no "bees in a can" sounds associated with it.
If you compare non-mandrel bent Y-pipe prices, the difference is not that much. Part of the cost savings is due to the canadian dollar conversion. WSP will add that Budget uses Canadian steel. No matter what the reasons you will do well with either. 304SS can and will rust out. Flex sections are definitely a weak spot. I personally wouldn't buy (were I to do it again) a high$ Y-pipe and hoping that it lasts 5 years. Would much rather get a $200 pipe and if it needs to be replaced in 3 or 4 years, so be it. As you can tell from the Cattman problems, high$ does not grant you peace of mind.

For $170 INSTALLED, the Budget is a huge bargain if you can make the drive. Damn, because of fitment issues or what have you, my Cattman cost $110 to install... and now I am constantly paranoid about it's flex.

No matter what though, you need a Y-pipe...
Old 05-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by i30dude
Will i lose low end?
NO You will lose more low end by going with 18" rims than you will with a aftermarket Y-pipe.
Go for it... worth every penny!!
Your butt dyno WILL feel the difference...
Old 05-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Kevlo for President

so where is the best place to get the pipe on buget's website it shows $275 for the f-pipe:

Aluminized Steel - Painted $275.00
T-409 Stainless Steel - Painted $325.00
T-304 Stainless Steel $325.00
T-304 Stainless Steel (polished) $375.00

where do i go?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:13 AM
Kevlo for President

nevermind i didn't see at trhe bottom that it said multiply by .65 sorry
Old 05-18-2002, 12:06 PM

So all the y-pipes that WS offers, and the one that budget offers do any of them sound diffrent, i like it loud, i have a cat back and highflow cat, so i am getting my y-pipe next, i know the performance is very similar may be 1-2hp here and there but what abou the sound?