4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Faulty Temp Gauge???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 06:04 AM

Faulty Temp Gauge???

While driving, I've noticed the Temperature gauge needle is very erratic. When I stomp on the throttle, or during fast acceleration, the needle goes crazy (up and down)! Anyone have a similar problem like this? Know what would cause it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:50 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Faulty Temp Gauge???

Originally posted by maxwillden
While driving, I've noticed the Temperature gauge "flutters" slightly during normal driving, and when I stomp on the throttle, or during fast acceleration, the needle goes crazy (up and down)! Anyone have a similar problem like this? Know what would cause it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
It could be your coolant temperature sensor for the guage and not the guage itself...that would be a cheeper easier fix too!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:53 AM

Re: Re: Faulty Temp Gauge???

Originally posted by ejj5875

It could be your coolant temperature sensor for the guage and not the guage itself...that would be a cheeper easier fix too!
Where exactly would I find the sensor?
Old 05-14-2002, 06:56 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Faulty Temp Gauge???

Originally posted by maxwillden

Where exactly would I find the sensor?
Ugh, I'd have to look. I've changed them on other cars and they are usually on the upper coolant (return) hose. I would assume on the rear (the driver side) of the engine.

Search for temp sensor or coolant sensor...its a common topic. There are two...one for the ECU and one for the guage.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:14 AM

Could also be a stuck thermostat, assuming the maxima uses one, or a sign your water pump is going out. I had the problem you are describing 4 months ago with my pile of crap Lumina and a week later my water pump self destructed spewing coolant all over my engine bay. Needless to say the day that incident happened I owned a 1998 Maxima. Repairs were just too often with that Lumina and that incident was the final straw in a string of around 3,500 in repairs in less than 6 months. I feel bad for the guy that bought it from me...
Old 05-14-2002, 09:23 AM

Just replied you on the other thread...

....and I just found this one.

About the symptoms, the gauge will go erractic if I hit a bump or there is a strong wind blowing around the car. I checked the coolant, and everything seems to be fine.

I had this when I installed the Stillen Cone Filter, but nothing before the install.

I believe there is a coolant line near the airbox (near the body inside the engine bay) down under, and the bracket from Stillen Cone might "knock" them ever so slightly incurring those erratic needle whenever there is a bump or strong wind.

The needle goes on steadily when the car is being warmed up.

So....I don't know....
Old 05-14-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Just replied you on the other thread...

Originally posted by ardika
....and I just found this one.

About the symptoms, the gauge will go erractic if I hit a bump or there is a strong wind blowing around the car. I checked the coolant, and everything seems to be fine.

I had this when I installed the Stillen Cone Filter, but nothing before the install.

I believe there is a coolant line near the airbox (near the body inside the engine bay) down under, and the bracket from Stillen Cone might "knock" them ever so slightly incurring those erratic needle whenever there is a bump or strong wind.

The needle goes on steadily when the car is being warmed up.

So....I don't know....

Hmmmmm.... I have a pop charger... Maybe the same problem???

I'll look into it. Thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 06:50 PM

temp gage

i have the exact same problem , actually had it a long time now but its getting really annoying. did you find a solution ? please reply with any info that could help me. mabey you can save me time , money or both. your help will definetely be apprieciated.
thanks
damers
Old 07-08-2002, 06:55 PM

temp gage

oops, that was supposed to go to MAXWILLDEN.