4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

IEC valve Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 12:01 PM

IEC valve Questions

I think the dealer just ripped meoff for $50. Here is the history:

My car's idle was fluctuating in November. When I was in traffic, it would go down to 350 and then climb back up to 475 once in a while. Took the car in to the dealer in Nov. They said they could not reproduce it. They recommended that I come back in April if the problem persists after the gas here in the Crolinas is not Odygenated anymore. So, took the car in coz the problem is still there. Now they want $50 which is my deductible on the extended warranty. They could barely recreate the problem this time too. One way to recreate the dipping idle problem is to turn on the AC and when the rpms go up, turn it off while the car is in "D" (Drive).

Are the symptoms pointing to the IEC valve? Also why would they not claim that under the normal warranty coz I have been complaining since Nov. Mine is a 1999 so the warranty expired on 12/31/2001 . I do like the dealer coz they have saved me a buck or two in the past when my battery died.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: IEC valve Questions

It's actually IAC valve, not IEC. It could be that or a dirty throttle body or a clogged up or dirty EGR. Clean the throttle body first because that's the easiest thing to do. if it still idles low, then adjust the IAC adjuster screw to increase the idle rpm. If that doesn't work, take out the IAC valve yourself and clean it up. I've never done it but i head it's just a matter of unscrewing 3 bolts, pulling out the valve, and cleaning it up with the same stuff used to clean the throttle body. if not, take a look at the EGR or the PCV. Not likely to be the last 2, but its possible. there are instructions on the forums to do all of these things. Good luck!

Originally posted by dvpatel99se

My car's idle was fluctuating in November. When I was in traffic, it would go down to 350 and then climb back up to 475 once in a while. Took the car in to the dealer in Nov. They said they could not reproduce it. They recommended that I come back in April if the problem persists after the gas here in the Crolinas is not Odygenated anymore. So, took the car in coz the problem is still there. Now they want $50 which is my deductible on the extended warranty. They could barely recreate the problem this time too. One way to recreate the dipping idle problem is to turn on the AC and when the rpms go up, turn it off while the car is in "D" (Drive).

Are the symptoms pointing to the IEC valve? Also why would they not claim that under the normal warranty coz I have been complaining since Nov. Mine is a 1999 so the warranty expired on 12/31/2001 . I do like the dealer coz they have saved me a buck or two in the past when my battery died.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: IEC valve Questions

Originally posted by dvpatel99se

The IAC on Maximas have two fast idle control solenoids which are used to maintain a constant idle speed due to increased engine loads.One solenoid is energized when the power steering is operated and the other one is energized when the air conditioning is activated. A fault in this system will NOT be detected by the OBD system. It should be covered under a warranty.

If you are turning on the AC and the idle drops than more than likely it is the IAC fast idle solenoid for the AC that has gone bad. The FSM should have procedures to check if the fast idle AC solenoid is bad.

By the way all this info comes straight out to the Haynes repair manual. Do yourself a favor and pick one up for $20.