4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So damn confused please read and answer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 11:15 PM

So damn confused please read and answer

Ok all this CAI CAT abc 123 talk is nuts...i wish i was more mechanically stable but ok my real question is i have an automatic( sorta regret at times) but what is the bestto get for performace a CAI say warpspeed or this hybrid things or is there something else too please help my shameless mind want speed to kill hondas need every adavantage with my poor lil auto...well thanks to whoever helps me with this prob really appreciated
Old 05-16-2002, 01:48 AM

Re: So damn confused please read and answer

Originally posted by madmax97
Ok all this CAI CAT abc 123 talk is nuts...i wish i was more mechanically stable but ok my real question is i have an automatic( sorta regret at times) but what is the bestto get for performace a CAI say warpspeed or this hybrid things or is there something else too please help my shameless mind want speed to kill hondas need every adavantage with my poor lil auto...well thanks to whoever helps me with this prob really appreciated
go to www.jimwolftechnologies.com and order a pop-charger. It's cheaper than a CAI, similar gains, and a snap to install.

then go to www.warpspeedperformance.com and order a Y-pipe. The Y and intake are your best bang-for-the-buck mods you can get without installing a turbo or supercharger (or nitrous).

wait... before you do all that, sell your auto and buy a 5-speed.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes a CAI is your best bet with an automatic. will give you low end torque which is important for an automatic. As for which brand, I don't think it matters that much, Warpspeed, Place Racing, whatever.

A hybrid intake is supposed to combine a POP style intake with a CAI pipe to give you the best of both worlds, but I would imagine it still has some low end lag like a regular POP charger. So I think you should get a CAI.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:24 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Don't worry too much. You can kill Hondas while you're still stock.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an automatic and while I am not an expert this is what I did. I bought a PR CAI so that I could use it either way. I plan on switching back and forth at the track to see which is the best for the 1/4. So far I have just used it in its original configuration but next weekend I will try out the hybrid and see if there is any difference.
I just wanted the option of having either one and PR even recommends going hybrid in wet conditions.
The only problem I had was cutting the hole, the template is way smaller than the actual pipe and I had to cut the hole twice and with a Dremel its a time consuming process. I know I should have checked and compared but I just assumed that the template would be big enough. So much for assuming.
The PR CAI ain't cheap but it does work. It was the last of the mods I put on and it took 3/10 off the 1/4 for me, but I think it was starving for air after doing the exhaust.
The reason it was last was because I actually ordered the WSP CAI first, but after waiting 8 weeks and no delivery I cancelled and ordered the PR CAI from CustomMaxima.