4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nitrous Jets

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 PM

Nitrous Jets

What is the combo for 100 shot in the 5124 kit?

BTW, I know people have posted about this before, but for some reason everytime I try and search it gives me "502 error message". Someone please either link the forum or just answer the question please.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

howdy...

okay let me take a stab at it...
ive been sitting here seaching for the nos-05124 kit for the v6 max application and the information that it is giving me is that its a single fogger dry injection kit.
if you notice this particular kit is meant for a 40-60 shot application... and not recommended to jump to the 100 hp jetting. from my experience on the bottle working with a dry injection kit. reason being is that... with a "dry" kit you will only be injecting pure nitrous into the intake and regualtion of fuel is handled by a pressure sensitive fuel pressure regulator (big blue thing in kit) that taps your vacumn line in route from the factory fuel regualtor to the intake manifold. not a good idea to shoot that much juice into a car and expect a little regualtor to handle the needed fuel for that big of a shot.
my opinion... if your set on hitting the 100 shot nitrous into the car there are 2 ways of going about this... the easy way would be to run a "wet" kit allowing higher jetting because its not only injecting nitrous but fuel as well or go the route i took on my own car and run a direct port set up... the advantage of that would be the even distribution through you manifold for a cleaner run and definitly a more direct approach.
if this is your first time playing with the juice... try out the 60 shot first... get use to it and break your car into it... then when you feel your ready to graduate from it.. sell it to somebody on here (there are many interested all the time) and step up to something a little more your taste...

any other questions feel free... ill do my best to throw you what i know. good luck
Old 05-21-2002, 04:24 AM
Ramius83

Re: howdy...

Originally posted by dxplicitone
okay let me take a stab at it...
ive been sitting here seaching for the nos-05124 kit for the v6 max application and the information that it is giving me is that its a single fogger dry injection kit.
if you notice this particular kit is meant for a 40-60 shot application... and not recommended to jump to the 100 hp jetting. from my experience on the bottle working with a dry injection kit. reason being is that... with a "dry" kit you will only be injecting pure nitrous into the intake and regualtion of fuel is handled by a pressure sensitive fuel pressure regulator (big blue thing in kit) that taps your vacumn line in route from the factory fuel regualtor to the intake manifold. not a good idea to shoot that much juice into a car and expect a little regualtor to handle the needed fuel for that big of a shot.
my opinion... if your set on hitting the 100 shot nitrous into the car there are 2 ways of going about this... the easy way would be to run a "wet" kit allowing higher jetting because its not only injecting nitrous but fuel as well or go the route i took on my own car and run a direct port set up... the advantage of that would be the even distribution through you manifold for a cleaner run and definitly a more direct approach.
if this is your first time playing with the juice... try out the 60 shot first... get use to it and break your car into it... then when you feel your ready to graduate from it.. sell it to somebody on here (there are many interested all the time) and step up to something a little more your taste...

any other questions feel free... ill do my best to throw you what i know. good luck
He has been on this setting for a long time now like I have. He took my advice to begin with when I told him to get a 50 shot then work your way up. He wants to use the 100 shot and the Maxima is capable of doing so with step colder plugs and gapped down .004 for every 50 hp added. What would be the combo for this nitrous jet setup like he was asking in the beginning?

Old 05-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Banned

Re: Nitrous Jets

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
What is the combo for 100 shot in the 5124 kit?

BTW, I know people have posted about this before, but for some reason everytime I try and search it gives me "502 error message". Someone please either link the forum or just answer the question please.
Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS)

HP Main ByPass Fuel PSI
40 .030
50 .032 62
60 .034 67
70 .036 72
75 .040 75
80 .042 .040 80
85 .045 .040 80
100 .047 .038 85

The only 3 I have tried are the bottom 3 and am currently using the 100 shot. I have taken these from an article by Thomas Chen and put them together in one little sheet that I keep in my sun visor. Also I bought a 14 day pill holder to put my jets in and I write the size on the outside to make it easier to find them. Your fuel pressure settings will have to be tested by trying different jets to get the correct psi.

Squeeze safely
Jime

PS I can't get em to line up properly but you can figure it out. The four colums are HP, Main Jet, Bypass Jet and Fuel PSI
Old 05-21-2002, 08:08 AM
Ramius83

Thanks Jime....

Old 05-21-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: howdy...

Originally posted by Ramius83

He has been on this setting for a long time now like I have. He took my advice to begin with when I told him to get a 50 shot then work your way up. He wants to use the 100 shot and the Maxima is capable of doing so with step colder plugs and gapped down .004 for every 50 hp added. What would be the combo for this nitrous jet setup like he was asking in the beginning?
Thank you Erik, you saved me some typing.

I do have the 1 step colder plugs, but now that you mention it I didn't gap them down. What is the start gap that I have to go down from .004/50hp from? The dealer, where I got the plugs from, told me that they were pre-gapped, and I checked them before putting in and they all were the same (don't remember what that same was though). I'll go back and re-gap them down tonight.

Jime, so what you are saying is to use a .047 main and a .038 bypass @ 85 psi nets 100? Is that correct? I thought I read in previous postings (the postings I couldn't get in to find) that .047 and .042 bypass netted 100. Maybe it was .047 and .036 was 100. See why I'm confused. It's the memory thing, they say that starts to go when you're as old as me. I'm not doubting you at all BTW, I'm just asking because I'm not sure if I'm even going to do it yet. I am trying to decide whether to go direct port or not and all the things that go with that project.

Erik, can you hook me up with a FPR? I have been digging around and seen some "universal" ones and don't want to throw my money away. I will need one for either route I go so let me know what you suggest. After my Walbro pump install, I noticed a substancial increase in pressure. Did you get that too? I am reading somewhere between 80-90 psi under boost (damn half sweep gauge, can't get accurate reading just ballpark). Before on the stock pump as you know, I could only muster about 65-70psi. Is my gauge off or is that normal? I'm still bummed about losing 17hp after the Y and trying to root out the problem. Let me know.

BTW, dxp....I appreciate you trying to help anyway.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:17 AM

Jime, I think you were trying to say something and it didn't come thru. BTW, thanks for the help since I didn't mention it in the last thread, and Ramius83 you know you're my brother at arms as always.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: howdy...

Jime, so what you are saying is to use a .047 main and a .038 bypass @ 85 psi nets 100? Is that correct? I thought I read in previous postings (the postings I couldn't get in to find) that .047 and .042 bypass netted 100. Maybe it was .047 and .036 was 100. See why I'm confused. It's the memory thing, they say that starts to go when you're as old as me. I'm not doubting you at all BTW, I'm just asking because I'm not sure if I'm even going to do it yet. I am trying to decide whether to go direct port or not and all the things that go with that project.

Ok, the .047 is 100 HP whether or not a .038 gets you 85 psi depends on your car, fuel pump, FPR etc. It works for me, someone else may use a 36 or I even heard of one guy that used a .087 or somewhere in that vicinity. Hopefully you don't have to go that high. You have to try it, give it a quick shot and see what the pressure is and adjust accordingly. Thats why its better to start with a smaller shot and experiment with your fuel jet to see what it does then start going larger. The nitrous jet is your HP, its not directly related to the Fuel Pressure jet. The fuel pressure jet is adjusted to give you the required fuel pressure for the 100 HP shot and will not be the same for all cars.

I am also wanting to go direct port hopefully in the near future but a 100 shot dry is pure awesome. When I hit the button it goes squirrely and burns through first and part way through second and thats an auto with slicks.

On the plugs I am one step colder copper and gapped at .035 for your info.

Our first import race is on Sunday so I am hoping to improve my times a bit and do a little more experimenting with fuel pressure etc.

Good Luck
Jim

PS I am using a SARD FPR, works great. Just a bit of a warning though if you go Direct Port you may require a different FPR because some systems (NX) require a dead ended FPR not the return style we use on the dry system. Check it out, don't want you to buy a FPR then find out it won't work in the direct port setup.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy...

Originally posted by Jime

Ok, the .047 is 100 HP whether or not a .038 gets you 85 psi depends on your car, fuel pump, FPR etc. It works for me, someone else may use a 36 or I even heard of one guy that used a .087 or somewhere in that vicinity. Hopefully you don't have to go that high. You have to try it, give it a quick shot and see what the pressure is and adjust accordingly. Thats why its better to start with a smaller shot and experiment with your fuel jet to see what it does then start going larger. The nitrous jet is your HP, its not directly related to the Fuel Pressure jet. The fuel pressure jet is adjusted to give you the required fuel pressure for the 100 HP shot and will not be the same for all cars.

I am also wanting to go direct port hopefully in the near future but a 100 shot dry is pure awesome. When I hit the button it goes squirrely and burns through first and part way through second and thats an auto with slicks.

On the plugs I am one step colder copper and gapped at .035 for your info.

Our first import race is on Sunday so I am hoping to improve my times a bit and do a little more experimenting with fuel pressure etc.

Good Luck
Jim

PS I am using a SARD FPR, works great. Just a bit of a warning though if you go Direct Port you may require a different FPR because some systems (NX) require a dead ended FPR not the return style we use on the dry system. Check it out, don't want you to buy a FPR then find out it won't work in the direct port setup.
I really appreciate the info. I totally understand now. The bypass only really controls the FP and doesn't necessarily have to do w/HP, the main does that. Got it.

I'm running NGK plats 1 step colder. Does that make a difference? Can I still use .035 as the gap? I think it doesn't matter, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As for the FPR, I can't run a dead ended one on dry, correct? I was looking into staying with NOS if I went direct port because parts and accesories are a little more readily available here for NOS than NX or ZEX.

Is there a table or a website I can go to see the different jet settings combos; i.e. a .047 and .042 or .042 and .047 etc.? So I can tweak on mine if I decide to stay with the 5124.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Ramius83

No problem Jamie, if you need anything, just give me a call. My cell number is in the SE forum....I am not new to NOS, but I am not old to it like Jime and Synki are...

Old 05-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy...

I really appreciate the info. I totally understand now. The bypass only really controls the FP and doesn't necessarily have to do w/HP, the main does that. Got it.

I'm running NGK plats 1 step colder. Does that make a difference? Can I still use .035 as the gap? I think it doesn't matter, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As for the FPR, I can't run a dead ended one on dry, correct? I was looking into staying with NOS if I went direct port because parts and accesories are a little more readily available here for NOS than NX or ZEX.

Is there a table or a website I can go to see the different jet settings combos; i.e. a .047 and .042 or .042 and .047 etc.? So I can tweak on mine if I decide to stay with the 5124.
Ok, now you got it. Ya its sort of hard to get your head around it. I have heard that you shouldn't use plats for nitrous. I can't confirm it but I decided to err on the side of caution and use copper. The only difference as I understand it is the copper only last 30k vs 60k for the plats, no diff in performance.

Correct on the FPR, but I don't know about the NOS Direct Port setup because I haven't played with any but I do know a little about the NX. I am just helping my Son a bit with his and learning as I go along.

I don't know of anywhere you can get that info. I got it from Thomas Chen and added my little bit. There are settings in the manual for 50, 60 & 70 but thats all I know about. The little chart I put up earlier is all that I know about, it takes you from 40-100 HP but the fuel jets are pure experimentation and checking plugs, EGT etc.

Jim
Old 05-21-2002, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Can I still use .035 for my plugs? Is that a start or end point? Also, a little unrelated related (oximoron) question: Did you guys notice an increase in your EGT readings after the Y pipe install? Reason I ask is that a few weeks ago when I installed my Y, I started noticing increases in the temp readings. Is that normal? If not, what can I do to resolve that? BTW, I'm talking about N/A not under boost. Both are still matching, last I had a chance to check it right (at the dyno), but both are higher than my temps with the stock Y.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:33 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Can I still use .035 for my plugs? Is that a start or end point? Also, a little unrelated related (oximoron) question: Did you guys notice an increase in your EGT readings after the Y pipe install? Reason I ask is that a few weeks ago when I installed my Y, I started noticing increases in the temp readings. Is that normal? If not, what can I do to resolve that? BTW, I'm talking about N/A not under boost. Both are still matching, last I had a chance to check it right (at the dyno), but both are higher than my temps with the stock Y.
Where is you probe installed in the new pipe and old pipe?
Old 05-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Banned

Jaime the .035 is for a 100 shot with y-pipe etc. I believe the formula is .04/50 HP which you quoted. Stock gap is .044 so an additional 100 HP would reduce that down to .036 plus your pipe etc so I just picked .035.
I never installed the egt until I put the Y-pipe on and I got Budget to weld the connector on just below the O2 Sensor. Actually I did try it in the manifold but it was much too hot N/A, like 1400+ so I knew it would be higher with spray so I removed it and put it in the Y-Pipe.
Also like ejj5875 asked where is you probe located?
Old 05-21-2002, 02:26 PM
Ramius83

I put mine in the front manifold, I get about 1425 spraying with the 80 shot which means, pretty well tuned.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:38 PM
Banned

I put mine in the front manifold, I get about 1425 spraying with the 80 shot which means, pretty well tuned.
Sounds ok. Mine was closer to 1500 N/A and that wasn't pushing it so I thought it would be over the scale on spray so I decided to move it farther away. Could just be my gauge or where I placed it but I wanted to get it a bit lower so I could compare on and off the spray.
It did this stock before I even had the y-pipe, intake etc so I knew I was getting a false high reading or at least I hope I was. It would have caused problems long before now if not, especially running a 100 shot and it seems to handle it quite well.
I do check the plugs quite often at the track just to make sure all is ok.

BTW check out this site tell me what you think about the HP and Nitrous calculators.
http://cosmik.org/calculators.htm
Old 05-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Jaime: if you're looking for a direct port kit, i've got one for sale. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=118122
Old 05-21-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Where is you probe installed in the new pipe and old pipe?
Same place on both. Between where the 2 pipes from the Y come together and the cat. I am noticing about 200 deg hotter while at speed.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:25 PM

Farenheit? Then why did you tell me that when I was running around 1100 to 1200 Farenheit I was running lean? Isn't 1425 lean? Let me know.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Jime

Sounds ok. Mine was closer to 1500 N/A and that wasn't pushing it so I thought it would be over the scale on spray so I decided to move it farther away. Could just be my gauge or where I placed it but I wanted to get it a bit lower so I could compare on and off the spray.
It did this stock before I even had the y-pipe, intake etc so I knew I was getting a false high reading or at least I hope I was. It would have caused problems long before now if not, especially running a 100 shot and it seems to handle it quite well.
I do check the plugs quite often at the track just to make sure all is ok.

BTW check out this site tell me what you think about the HP and Nitrous calculators.
http://cosmik.org/calculators.htm
It's pretty neat. Except it's saying REAR wheel HP. I noticed the nitrous calculator seems a little off. I put in 100 hp, it gave me 47 main jet (which I now know its correct) but at 80 psi it says I need a 22 fuel jet, What's up with that?.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by sx7r
Jaime: if you're looking for a direct port kit, i've got one for sale. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=118122
I appreciate the offer. I still haven't made up my mind yet. If I decide to go direct port, I'll look you up. Hopefully you'll still have it then, but thanks anyway for now.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 AM
Banned

It's pretty neat. Except it's saying REAR wheel HP. I noticed the nitrous calculator seems a little off. I put in 100 hp, it gave me 47 main jet (which I now know its correct) but at 80 psi it says I need a 22 fuel jet, What's up with that?.
Ya, I'm not sure whats up with the fuel jet and it is for rear wheel but fun to play with. I was trying to search again and see if there was anywhere with a jet chart but no success, but ran across that while I was searching. I liked the part that gave you what you should be able to do given your ET and speed.
Anyway don't put any faith in that stuff just for info.
Also here is the link to Thomas Chen's (sx7r) article. Good stuff and it gets into the EGT, check it out, I learned a lot from it.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/nosxplained.html
Old 05-22-2002, 06:22 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Same place on both. Between where the 2 pipes from the Y come together and the cat. I am noticing about 200 deg hotter while at speed.
I think that would account for the difference. On the stock y-pipe that means that the exhaust has passed through the pre-cats, which I would assume cool it down slightly.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

I think that would account for the difference. On the stock y-pipe that means that the exhaust has passed through the pre-cats, which I would assume cool it down slightly.
Sounds logical. Thanks for the help.