4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 11:23 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

OK I was at a light and the road was 2 lanes about to merge into one, this guy in a durango pulls next to me, thinking he can beat me w/ his gas-guzzling V8, light turns green, we go at it and he's struggling to keep up w/ me by about 3/4 car length, then he wusses out, angrily realizing that his gas guzzler can't keep up w/ a sports sedan, and I say to myself "that's right, you can't beat me" and as I pull into my street, he gives me this evil look as to wanting to race again, but no matter what I'm still gonna win over him.

I mean, WTF is it w/ SUV people that think they can race Max's, knowing the Max is flat out gonna smoke them. No offense to those who have SUV's or anything, but really? Unless thier SUV is like mega fast or something? Know what I mean?
Old 05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Was it an r/t ? Durango R/T's have the big 5.9 liter engine and do 0-60 in 7.8 seconds stock. They have lots of torque too.

I'd say your race was about right considering your auto and stock...if your manual you shoulda smoked him by a few car lengths.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:34 PM

Re: A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

Originally posted by Wht98SE
I mean, WTF is it w/ SUV people that think they can race Max's, knowing the Max is flat out gonna smoke them. No offense to those who have SUV's or anything, but really? Unless thier SUV is like mega fast or something? Know what I mean?
its the same differance as people with Maximas trying to race Corvettes and the like.

DPW
Old 05-22-2002, 03:56 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Re: A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

Originally posted by TintDaMax

its the same differance as people with Maximas trying to race Corvettes and the like.

DPW
True
Old 05-22-2002, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

Originally posted by TintDaMax

DPW
Thats true, i mean what the hell are corvettes thinking when they try to race us?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: A Dodge Durango tried to race me, I still won of course!!

Originally posted by Mad Dhan

Thats true, i mean what the hell are corvettes thinking when they try to race us?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:34 PM

Yeah I don't know much about Durango's but some SUV owners these days just think they own the road with their gas beasts. Don't underestimate the power of a lot of those SUV's/trucks, some are decent. In fact my friend who drives a 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 quad cab can beat me pretty good in a race up to 60 or so. Lots of torque. I have the same car as you. I have more top end power than him but we never race to high enough speeds for me to get by him.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:52 PM

The new cadilac Escalade is quick off the line. I have
a slipping tranny but from light to light that truck is quick.
97gxe auto
Old 05-22-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by purple max
The new cadilac Escalade is quick off the line. I have
a slipping tranny but from light to light that truck is quick.
97gxe auto
What exactly does that mean, "slipping transmission"? What are the characteristics of one?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that Explorer and Durango drivers are the worst. I've had at least two runs ins with Durango's. Once I had my parents and the AC on and this Durango was merging in to the highway and he figures that instead of getting behind me, he'll try to get ahead. I had to show him. The other time, it was a two lane road with one lane merging and he was in the merging one. I had the AC on and kicked his A$$. He was ****ed so he decides that he will put his high beams on. WTF? he was the one trying to merge in. I slowed down to 25 in a 45 and he was stuck behind me the whole way. He never tried to pass me, I guess he didn't want to embarass himself again.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by ReichMax97

What exactly does that mean, "slipping transmission"? What are the characteristics of one?
1}WHEN YOUR 2ND TO 3RD GEAR HESITATES
2}WHEN YOUR CAR JERKS FOWARD WHEN GAS IS PRESSED
3}HARD TO REVERSE ON ON INCLINE
3)TRANNY WILL NOT SHIFT PAST 1ST GEAR.

PLEASE GET IT CHECKED OUT KNOW. DO NOT DOWN SHIFT ON AN
AUTO TRANNY, DO NOT DO ANY BURNOUTS. IT WAS REBUILT
AROUND 75K. COST ME 1300 DOLLARS. NEED REBUILDING AGAIN.
AND CAME WITH A 3 YEAR WARRANTY. DO YOU LIVE IN NYC? I'LL
LET YOU DRIVE THE CAR FIRST HAND SO IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU.
SHOULD BE REBUILT BEFORE THE MEET.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:21 PM
pro

My dad has a 2001 Tahoe and I like to race it sometimes. I wouldn't go up against a maxima but you should see the look on the person's face that's driving the Civic with all his friends and I smoke him. Especially here where everything body thinks that the civic is some kind of great sports car because every civic here has the 7 feet tall wing on the back. That's the reason I race the tahoe, it's the funniest thing in the world and gives me a great feeling of satisfaction.
Thanks,
Paul