4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by elgatomax
Hey cumalot
what u mean the plastic trim pieace. The one with the shifter # and letters cause i want to try it. Thats pretty cool looking to have. I also got a wooden trim surrounded it so i want to know if i have to take that off too. thanks

wow, can't believe this thread is still alive.

for the shifter, after you remove the armrest console thingy, there are four screws you need to remove to get the shifter piece out. you have to remove the shift **** first though. it's very simple really. after that, just replace the 194 bulb under the shifter piece.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

Originally posted by Cumalot
I posted some pics of my reverse indiglo gauges with red bulbs before. I bought some new LED blue bulbs from Autodynamic.com to make it match the gauges a bit more. These bulbs are really bright. I put one of the extra blue LED bulbs in the shifter console, and it's bright! However, the bulbs don't seem as bright on the gauge cluster. Here are two pics to illustrate what I mean:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...17_66_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...17_67_full.jpg

where did you buy your gauges and needles? did you even change your needles? tell me how i can get my gauges to look exactally like yours b/c i have been looking all over for that same set up.
thanx
Old 07-18-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: Re: update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

i just did this mod, made them all blue, the shifter lights too......it wasnt tooo tooo hard but it was soooooooo hot in the car and it was miserable and it was a ***** trying to get some of the pieces out =/ i hope none of the bulbs blow out
Old 07-18-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by 98fiveSpeed
i took some pics of the new blue leds after install.

http://jatt.net/maxima/MAVICA.HTM

Click here

picture MVC-097F.JPG is of the guage cluster. The needles arnt visible but they do glow a little faint red. Hopefully they will look a little better when i order the intelli-glow needles..is there a bulb whihc illuminates the needles? or are they just illuminated by the ambient light? is it possible to just add another led under the needles? for anyone who has the glowing needels, how do they work? is there another led? how is it setup? im wondering if i need to order them or just add another led...?
where can i order the indiglo needles from? where are you ordering the intelli-glow needles from?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:01 PM

for the shifter, after you remove the armrest console thingy, there are four screws you need to remove to get the shifter piece out. you have to remove the shift **** first though. it's very simple really. after that, just replace the 194 bulb under the shifter piece.

OK thanks but where is the bulb under what?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:43 PM
I aim to misbehave.

OK thanks but where is the bulb under what?
Directly under where the "PRND" letters are.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Speebs

Thanks man
Old 07-18-2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Rufus

where can i order the indiglo needles from? where are you ordering the intelli-glow needles from?
You can get these needles from import intelligence.

www.importintelligence.com i belive..
Old 07-19-2002, 08:53 AM

i didnt order any needles.......yet mine camae out blue.....
Old 07-19-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by robotman7
i didnt order any needles.......yet mine camae out blue.....
because ur needles are white/clear... ours are red.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Speebs

Is the connection to the bulb coming out of the shifter box.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:00 PM

one more question, the lights is not turning on, it could be a fuse, do u know what fuse goes to that.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:39 PM

one more question, the lights is not turning on, it could be a fuse, do u know what fuse goes to that.

be sure the dimmer switch isn't turn down. if that's the problem, check the fuses. also you could try taking the bulb out and turn it around(180 degree)and plug it back in. hope you understand what i mean.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:09 PM

be sure the dimmer switch isn't turn down. if that's the problem, check the fuses. also you could try taking the bulb out and turn it around(180 degree)and plug it back in. hope you understand what i mean.
Cumalot, i know this is off subject but i have purple HID also and i can't get any bulbs to match it. (clearance and bumper lights) Yours match pretty well, what kind are they? also how good does the CF hood fit/look?

Ben
Old 07-19-2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by 99MaxOnDubsSE

Cumalot, i know this is off subject but i have purple HID also and i can't get any bulbs to match it. (clearance and bumper lights) Yours match pretty well, what kind are they? also how good does the CF hood fit/look?

Ben

Actually, it doesn't match at all. I know in my sig pic it seem like it match, but trust me it doesn't. Guess it's the camera angle and flash I used. And I have expensive bulbs in the clearance lenses. I got the Polarg G-Series bulbs, ones that cost about $30 a pair. It still doesn't match. Same goes for the bumper lights. Oh well.

The FiberImages carbon fiber hood didn't fit very well at all. The passenger side had a small gap, plus the hood wasn't flush with the car. I had hood pins, so it was a bit better. Plus, there was a small blemish when the hood got to me. Since then, I have sold the carbon fiber hood.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:09 PM

Hey i got it thanks man, what kind of bulb u are using cause mine is not that bright. Also where u live in LA. Im staying in Kenner. Do they have any maxima group or date to meet, maybe i can show up.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Which do you recommend?

Which LEDs do you recommend for the gauges and the shifter? The 1 or 4 blue LED. I would also try putting some in the Door Lights.
Don't forget about the Glovebox!!!! There's a 194 bulb in there as well. Maybe even the trunk. Ha! Whatevers Clever.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Which do you recommend?

****BUMP****

Originally posted by MaxJag
Which LEDs do you recommend for the gauges and the shifter? The 1 or 4 blue LED. I would also try putting some in the Door Lights.
Don't forget about the Glovebox!!!! There's a 194 bulb in there as well. Maybe even the trunk. Ha! Whatevers Clever.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:27 PM

i've got one led 194s in mine. the light is even but it would be better if it was just a little brighter. I have 4led 194s which i'm hoping to install tonight to see the difference. I've heard the 4led 194s create light spots...
Old 07-20-2002, 07:23 PM

If I remmeber correctly, Cumalot had posted 4-LED pics on a stock gauge and it had hot spots - the link is dead now though

PM him, I'm show he'd send you the pic by e-mail.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
If I remmeber correctly, Cumalot had posted 4-LED pics on a stock gauge and it had hot spots - the link is dead now though

PM him, I'm show he'd send you the pic by e-mail.

I don't really know much about this, but couldn't the problem of 'hot spots' and/or 'light spots' be resolved by adjusting things with the dimmer?
Old 07-21-2002, 03:27 AM

What do you guys think???
Originally posted by synix

I don't really know much about this, but couldn't the problem of 'hot spots' and/or 'light spots' be resolved by adjusting things with the dimmer?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:10 AM

synix

If I had to guess, no because the dimming will make the LEDs dimmer but the light focusing of the LEDs will still be the same.

The 1-LED design is different from the 4-LED. 1-LED has an inverted cone at the tip (to disperse light I believe) while the 4-LED is just 4 LEDs bunched together. 98fivespeed will be trying them out soon so I'm sure he can answer the question.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:19 AM

I just ordered me some 1-LED bulbs to replace the 4-LED bulbs so there won't be any more hot spots.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
synix

If I had to guess, no because the dimming will make the LEDs dimmer but the light focusing of the LEDs will still be the same.

The 1-LED design is different from the 4-LED. 1-LED has an inverted cone at the tip (to disperse light I believe) while the 4-LED is just 4 LEDs bunched together. 98fivespeed will be trying them out soon so I'm sure he can answer the question.
Right, I probably misunderstood what was meant by 'hot spots'. It refers to areas on the cluster (closest to the LEDs I presume) which are brighter than other areas (due to the lack of proper light dispersion)???...Nothing to do with actual heat?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by synix

Nothing to do with actual heat?
Hehe .. nope