4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why can't they match my pearl white color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 01:40 PM

Why can't they match my pearl white color?

I took my car into Maximum Auto Body shop here in maryland to get my door and back bumper fixed and repainted. They've had my car for over 3 weeks. They're telling me they can't match my pearl white color on my car. They said they've painted the car 3 times and it wont match up. So now they're saying this is the best possible match they can do. They said the only way to get that color is if the dealer paints it. Does this sound right to you guys? Shouldn't any body shop be able to match any kind of paint? What am i entitled to here? Do I have to pay them? What can I do and what options do I have. I have a 1997 gle maxima and i saw the can that the paint they were using was labeled 1995 nissan maxima. Does that make a difference?
Old 05-30-2002, 02:35 PM

c'mon somebodys got to have something to say.. ... any help please...
Old 05-30-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Larcenist
Maxima's are painted in a 3-step painting process from the factory. The only way to duplicate it is by repairing it the same way. You can't just mix a bunch of colors together to make it work... For instance; If you go to Nissan to purchase touch-up paint for your Pearl White Maxima, they will give you a 2-Step Touch-up kit. It is one coat of white paint, with another layer of metallic, shiny paint over that. VERY difficult to match... That's why if you get into an accident with a Maxima, always take it to a dealer, or a very reputable paint shop to have them do the work. Reputable Shops usually have the Combination stored on a Huge database that tells them what combination to use. If your insurance, or another insurance company is paying to do the work, call them and tell them the situation, and request that a new body shop repair the damage.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:02 PM
MaximaFreak

Is it an insurance job? If it is, if you ***** enough, they will just paint your whole car. And if they don't match it and tell you to go somewhere else, have them pay for the job the dealer does or don't pay him and take it to the dealer to have him do it. Finally, to answer your question, they can't match it because you took it to a lousy paint shop.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:10 PM

The Nissan Pearl White paint job is a 3 step process. The first step is teh white, then the metallic they throw in, then the clear coat. Yes, pearl white is the hardest to match since they dont know teh exact color mixture. No matter what, it will never match. I have had my 99 repainted 3 times due to morons on the road and my car is different color whites.

BTW-*****ing will not get your whole car painted unless you have damage everywhere. Insurance will not cover what isnt damaged. I have tried this. If your body shop is willing to pull strings and BS the insurance comapny, it is possible but they will also be in serious trouble if caught. Sorry, I was a mechanic and also did body work.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:24 PM
Custom User Title...

when i got my spoiler painted, they were nervous and said it wasn't going to be easy to match the pearl white, but turns out they matched it better than the bumpers that were on the car. it was exact, so if you go somewhere good they should be able to do it.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Yes, the pearl white is the hardest to match but there is absolutely no excuse not to get it to match 100%. Anyone who tells you they can't match it, doesn't know what they are doing. I did my homework and found an outstanding shop and my stuff matches perfect. Don't settle for less.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Kevlo for President

the peeps at the place i went to told me they could match it by useing tints on the new paint and stuff like that but i never it done yet to fix my dent
Old 05-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The paint code for a '95 artic white pearl Max is: QNO

QNO was also used on '97 models. Look at the metal data plate on your firewall in the engine compartment. If it's QNO, then the '95 paint can you mentioned should match (assuming the can is marked right).

Regardless, whoever paints your car should be able to obtain the paint that matches whatever paint code is on your data plate.

Once you've straightend all of that out, you must find a QUALIFIED shop that has experience doing 3 stage painting.

QUALIFIED - QUALIFIED - QUALIFIED!!

Where I live, I had to use the Toyota body shop.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:54 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Synki
The Nissan Pearl White paint job is a 3 step process. The first step is teh white, then the metallic they throw in, then the clear coat. Yes, pearl white is the hardest to match since they dont know teh exact color mixture. No matter what, it will never match. I have had my 99 repainted 3 times due to morons on the road and my car is different color whites.

BTW-*****ing will not get your whole car painted unless you have damage everywhere. Insurance will not cover what isnt damaged. I have tried this. If your body shop is willing to pull strings and BS the insurance comapny, it is possible but they will also be in serious trouble if caught. Sorry, I was a mechanic and also did body work.
This is 100% false. I have seen it happen. It happened to my neighbor. He hit some old guy in the rear. The guy ****ed and moaned to his insurance company after getting it fixed about the paint not matching on his 198x Mercury Cougar POS and they painted the WHOLE car. It can be done. You have to have the persistence to get what you want. You've paid in enough that they can spare a paint job.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've tried using Pearl White Nissan touch up paint to cover two minor scratches on my hood. I've returned over 4 bottles of touch up paint because each time the color never matches. Finally I went to two Nissan body shops and each told me the same story - the Peal White Nissan touch up paint will never match because the metal particles in the touch up paint need to be sprayed through a high pressure spayer to evenly disperse the metallic particles. Dabbing on the paint results in too high a concentration of metallic particles making the color appear darker.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:18 PM

no i got my spoiler at netgearhead.com and it was online store and they matched it up when they didnt even see the car. your autobody is retaaaded
Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 AM

Yes, the body shop i went to is indeed retarded. I went there because somebody recommended it on the DCMAX forum. He said they did quality work. So what rights as a customer do I have. I don't have to pay the body shop do I if they can't match the paint. The insurance is covering paying, but regardless i would rather the insurance money goto a job done right then to a mismatch paint job. Anybody know exactly what my rights are? I know the shop did use the three stage paint some of you guys mention but they still couldnt get it to match correctly. If I complained and was able to get my whole car repainted would I have to pay anything extra?

Originally posted by iregula
no i got my spoiler at netgearhead.com and it was online store and they matched it up when they didnt even see the car. your autobody is retaaaded
Old 05-31-2002, 10:07 AM
MaximaFreak

Yes, the body shop i went to is indeed retarded. I went there because somebody recommended it on the DCMAX forum. He said they did quality work. So what rights as a customer do I have. I don't have to pay the body shop do I if they can't match the paint. The insurance is covering paying, but regardless i would rather the insurance money goto a job done right then to a mismatch paint job. Anybody know exactly what my rights are? I know the shop did use the three stage paint some of you guys mention but they still couldnt get it to match correctly. If I complained and was able to get my whole car repainted would I have to pay anything extra?

Discuss this with your insurance company, there are there to help ...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:23 AM

insurance wont help.....

I just spoke with my insurance and they said they're not involved in this. They said its just between me and the shop. So what other options do i have?

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Discuss this with your insurance company, there are there to help ...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: insurance wont help.....

Oh hell no! You need to tell the insurance company that you have the right to have the car EXCACTLY how it was BEFORE the accident. PERIOD. That means you either instruct the shop to match the paint or recommend a shop that knows what the hell they doing. If that means the insurance company pays the previous shop $ and then pays the new new shop $, so be it. But the insurance might balk if you are the one that recommended the facility. They might say, well you took it where you wanted to take it. If they balk at the new shop, then you might have to ask the shop what they can do to match the color. It might entail painting the whole side of the car if necessary.

I just spoke with my insurance and they said they're not involved in this. They said its just between me and the shop. So what other options do i have?

Old 05-31-2002, 10:37 AM

Well sorry to say u should come to NY!!! my car was repainted in a local small town paint shop and it looks perfect no color dimatch at all....sorry man that sux! gotta love the pearl white though nothing like it!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:47 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: insurance wont help.....

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Oh hell no! You need to tell the insurance company that you have the right to have the car EXCACTLY how it was BEFORE the accident. PERIOD. That means you either instruct the shop to match the paint or recommend a shop that knows what the hell they doing. If that means the insurance company pays the previous shop $ and then pays the new new shop $, so be it. But the insurance might balk if you are the one that recommended the facility. They might say, well you took it where you wanted to take it. If they balk at the new shop, then you might have to ask the shop what they can do to match the color. It might entail painting the whole side of the car if necessary.

Wow. I would have thought I authored that. That is EXACTLY on point. The insurance company has an obligation to make your car like new ...
Old 05-31-2002, 11:10 AM

Better Business Bereau
Department of Consumer Protection

If you picked the Body shop, chances are, the insurance agency will tell you to stick it...

Tough call...
Old 05-31-2002, 11:19 AM

Has the insurance company directly coordinated payment with the body shop? Then the quality issue is between the insurance company and the shop until you are satisfied.

But, if the insurance company cut you a check, and you are supposed to pay the body shop, then it is in your hands. You could do this:

1. Pay the body shop with your credit card
2. Have your credit card company charge-back that charge due to poor quality of services. You can do this when your statement comes in.

Telling the body shop ahead of time that you won't pay etc... will only put you in a confrontational situation where it may become difficult to get the keys to your car back...
Old 05-31-2002, 12:45 PM

Yeah, i think im in a tough situation. I picked the body shop so I guess I can't really say much to the insurance. They also stated that b/c i picked them it was my choice to goto them. What should I say to the body shop. I hope this doesnt drag on any longer. I haven't had my car for over 3 weeks.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:42 PM

ok, i just spoke with the shop and they said the cars done and that the paint matched perfectly. I hope they're not lying to me. I'm gonna go down there right now and see how the job is. I really hope its a good job and the paint match.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:15 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

I know the feeling, after getting my SE from my brother, my front bumper looks like a slightly different shade of white compared to the original Pearl White.

But strangely I've seen some pearl white max's chip rather easily around the bumper, that worries me about the quality of pearl white paint now that I have a small chip on my bottom bumper.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by JCrwu
I've tried using Pearl White Nissan touch up paint to cover two minor scratches on my hood. I've returned over 4 bottles of touch up paint because each time the color never matches. Finally I went to two Nissan body shops and each told me the same story - the Peal White Nissan touch up paint will never match because the metal particles in the touch up paint need to be sprayed through a high pressure spayer to evenly disperse the metallic particles. Dabbing on the paint results in too high a concentration of metallic particles making the color appear darker.
Anyone know if Maxima bumper covers are painted the same way (at the time of manufacture) as the rest of the car? I don't think I've ever see a Pearl White 4th Gen. Max where the paint on the metal parts matched the plastic.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:45 PM

No, bumper covers are painted different; they use different paint and method that is why bumper covers look a bit different even on new cars. If I remember correctly painting bumper covers the right way cost more then painting other parts and at a good body shop they used computer to match factory paint. Let’s say you need your front fender to be repainted, a good body shop would repaint whole front end (hood panel and two fenders) to make a good match.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:15 PM

My cousin owns an autobody shop and one day i was there and some guy came in a pearl white es-300 and my cousin told him that paint is very difficult to match and that he was better off painting the entire car or take it to the dealer
Old 05-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

some of you are right..some are wrong.

matching - yes it's extremely difficult to match a 3 stage paint.
BUT...the car's paint is basically a illusion..it's how each person looks at the paint...wtf am i saying u ask? well you CAN paint a panel..and not get it to match exactly. a very good body shop will blend that color in. basically it'll gradually fade the new paint into the old. now that newly painted door won't look like a eye sore. your eyes will see the new door and see the car and if they are good you'll bearly notice the blending. a gradually change in a paint color your eyes will not notice. but a drastic change in color from one panel to another you will pick that up. some shops will paint the entire side of the car to get it to match...but paint costs $$...3 stage paint costs even more.

what's 3 stage - basically it's a extra coat of paint between the base coat (color) and the clear coat. what's in the extra coat? it's basically a tinted/translucent paint w/ pearl dust or mica dust mixed in. the more coats u paint..the darker the final color will get. it's like putting down tint on the windows..2 layers will be darker than 1.
not all pearls are 3 stage. some have the pearl mixed in with the color coat. car companies cutting cost. so you'll get the slight effect of the pearl..but they save on their bottom line.

bumpers - bumper are painted differently than the sheet metal. they mix a flex additive into the paint to help prevent the paint from cracking if you get bumped. why do they look different than the paint on the car?...well the flex sometimes changes the color/tone/tint of the car slightly...and as the sun and weather hits it, it'll fade at a different rate.

what the shop should do prior to painting a 3 stage paint - they should paint what they call a "let down/test panel"...basically they paint a panel with different amounts of pearl to see how many coats of pearl they need to paint the panel with to match the rest of the car. it takes a skilled eye to determine that.

why does your car chip like crazy? - simply put...cheap paint or really thin clear coat or u like to drive on gravel roads.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:57 AM

They totally messed up!!

I went and looked at my car on Friday. Man my car looks jacked up. The paint doesnt match... you can see where the old paint ends and where da new paint starts. Theres over spray everywhere. Its so bad they got paint on my window and all over the black vinyl trimmings. And get this my whole entire exhaust is now white. They painted my freaking exhaust??!!! I looked under the car and theres also overspray underneath my car. The job they did was horrible. Not only was it horrible i looked inside my car and my floor mats where all messed up and the driver side floor was all muddy. I see my fuse box cover on my passenger seat. I check my radio stations and they're all messed up. I open up my hood and find they messed around w/ my battery b/c my battery cap was up. I checked my miles and its over 100 miles more from when i left it with them and my gas is beyond the E point. After *****ing at them they said they'll clean it up and fix everything for me. I seriously do not see how they expected me to take home the car that day looking like that. They must think im blind or something. now my cars been sitting in that shop for over 3 weeks .. close to 4. I went back there and took pictures of the job they did and if they dont get it right this time im going to call some lawyers up and consumer rights agencies..
Old 06-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: They totally messed up!!

I went and looked at my car on Friday. Man my car looks jacked up. The paint doesnt match... you can see where the old paint ends and where da new paint starts. Theres over spray everywhere. Its so bad they got paint on my window and all over the black vinyl trimmings. And get this my whole entire exhaust is now white. They painted my freaking exhaust??!!! I looked under the car and theres also overspray underneath my car. The job they did was horrible. Not only was it horrible i looked inside my car and my floor mats where all messed up and the driver side floor was all muddy. I see my fuse box cover on my passenger seat. I check my radio stations and they're all messed up. I open up my hood and find they messed around w/ my battery b/c my battery cap was up. I checked my miles and its over 100 miles more from when i left it with them and my gas is beyond the E point. After *****ing at them they said they'll clean it up and fix everything for me. I seriously do not see how they expected me to take home the car that day looking like that. They must think im blind or something. now my cars been sitting in that shop for over 3 weeks .. close to 4. I went back there and took pictures of the job they did and if they dont get it right this time im going to call some lawyers up and consumer rights agencies..
That really s^cks larcen. I'm sorry man. I'm just glad to hear you aren't going to settle. Good for you. Don't settle for anything less than A+. I'd try to get your car out of there and get it repainted entirely (perhaps at Nissan?). I'm sure your insurance will understand at this point. Good luck to you.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: They totally messed up!!

forget it...have them PAY another shop (of your choice) to fix the mess properly.
they are just going to make a bigger and bigger mess.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:42 PM

finallly got my car back

Well, finally I got my car back. 4 weeks later my car has finally come back to me. The job the 3rd time around was better then the other two. they cleaned up all the overspray. I can still see some specs here and there but its decent now. The color of my car matches now. At least i can't notice any differnce between colors like i did before. Im so disapointed at the work they did. somehow underneath my spoiler got painted as well and it doesnt even feel smooth. its all rough, same thing w/ under my bumper. Well, im just glad i got my car back. Oh yeah i found that i was missing some screw drivers that were in my trunk too. Maximum auto body in beltsville maryland SUCKS! DONT EVER GO THERE!!
Old 06-06-2002, 10:37 PM

Re: Why can't they match my pearl white color?

I took my car into Maximum Auto Body shop here in maryland to get my door and back bumper fixed and repainted. They've had my car for over 3 weeks. They're telling me they can't match my pearl white color on my car. They said they've painted the car 3 times and it wont match up. So now they're saying this is the best possible match they can do. They said the only way to get that color is if the dealer paints it. Does this sound right to you guys? Shouldn't any body shop be able to match any kind of paint? What am i entitled to here? Do I have to pay them? What can I do and what options do I have. I have a 1997 gle maxima and i saw the can that the paint they were using was labeled 1995 nissan maxima. Does that make a difference?
I see your in MD. If not too much of an inconvenience/drive, I had a satin pearl Max (90) that was in need of repair 5 times (the fifth did her in I am afraid.) Anyway, the shop that did her the first 4 times ALWAYS matched the paint and no one could tell where she had been hit/vandalized (trust me, I am **** and once immediately determined that a wine colored Maxima, when it was pitch dark in a poorly lighted corner of a dealer lot, had fresh rocker panel repair
was missing its clear coating on its rear bumper.

Anyway, I digress, the shop of which I speak is Brennan's Autobody on State Street/Road in Philly (which is DIRECTLY off the Talcony-Palmyra bridge.) They have been around for something like 30 years and I would certainly recommend them for matching AND for quality of work. I grew up next door to these guys, and can say they are good people too.