4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

quickest 4 doors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

quickest 4 doors?

i believe the m5 is the quickest 4 door sedan, but it is rear wheel drive. jus curious as to if nebody knos what the quickest 4 door vehicle is that is front wheel drive?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:48 PM

are u talking about stock or modded?
Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: quickest 4 doors?

Originally posted by aznsap
i believe the m5 is the quickest 4 door sedan, but it is rear wheel drive. jus curious as to if nebody knos what the quickest 4 door vehicle is that is front wheel drive?

see my sig
Old 05-31-2002, 09:41 PM

i mean stock. after mods, it's pretty much nething is possible. but ya, im talkin about stock figures.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:51 PM

2k2 Max 6sp is my guess... BTW, the next M5 is rumored to have a 5.5L with nearly 500HP
Old 05-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Custom User Title...

i'd have to agree with those guys...not many other fwd cars put that much power in their engines. i'm not exactly sure why, but i know once you get much higher it's better to have it rwd...so that's why i assume the new maxima is fastest.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:47 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I've seen that the 2k2 Auto can do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds by a G-tech. I can't think of a aonther FWD 4 door that is that fast...or any FWD car for that matter...
Old 06-01-2002, 06:18 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

QUICKEST 4 DOORS

I think my car is. I can close all 4 doors rather fast. Plus I can run quick to

Also, I blow goats.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Old 06-01-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by bags533
Also, I blow goats.
Originally posted by mzmtg
Old 06-01-2002, 08:55 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by mzmtg

I like to be snowballed by bags when he is done with the goats

Old 06-01-2002, 09:01 AM

IIRC, from a 0-60 standpoint, the E46 was faster than the new M5. I forget how fast the M5 was, but the E46 M3 did 60 in 4.7. Not a four door vehicle tho

The RS4 is also pretty damn fast, with the RS6 being just around the corner. I don't see why they need twin turbo to make 450 hp out of a V8 however. Same thing with the S4, 250 hp out of a twin turbo V6? come on VAG. I guess with little wimpy turbos like that, there is a lot of room for upping the boost

Sorry for getting off topic
Old 06-02-2002, 10:34 PM

the best time i have seen for the M5 is 4.8 0-60.....the RS4 and RS6 are only sold in europe i thought...so cant compare
Old 06-02-2002, 11:04 PM

My next car is an M5 but I'm a bit not sure because it has the power of a sports car but its design is not exactly the best. Its more a sports luxury. I drove my friends 89 corvette and enjoyed it a lot plus its a lot wider allowing for less tail spins and better control.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:29 PM

ya...... i'd have to say that the new altima is a pretty good contender for the quickest front wheel drive 4 door. thas kinda surprising, but we're all in the same family, so it's all good.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
My next car is an M5 but I'm a bit not sure because it has the power of a sports car but its design is not exactly the best. Its more a sports luxury. I drove my friends 89 corvette and enjoyed it a lot plus its a lot wider allowing for less tail spins and better control.
Go for a ride in an M5 and you might change your decision... Seeing a car like that at speeds above 300km's(posted in some bmw forum and guy has pic of speedo to prove it) and how it handles through the twisties and it's ability to haul people in comfort is quite something else... If i could afford an M5, i would get one in a second... The next car those guys usually move up to is the Porsche 911 Turbo
Old 06-03-2002, 04:33 PM

One that shouldent be over looked

I donno if its the fastest, but its deffently one that shouldent be over looked

96' Chevey Impala SS 6speed
Old 06-03-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: One that shouldent be over looked

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
I donno if its the fastest, but its deffently one that shouldent be over looked

96' Chevey Impala SS 6speed
thats RWD though, isnt it? thread was asking about FWD cars.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:09 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
You will NEVER get the control out of a corvette that you get stock and fresh out of the box from BMW. The M5 has the most sophisticated active handling system ever installed in a car. If you think any vette will out handle an M5, think again.

BTW, Corvette's are my favorite car Hope to own a 6sp 96 Collector's Edition by the end of the year.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

You will NEVER get the control out of a corvette that you get stock and fresh out of the box from BMW. The M5 has the most sophisticated active handling system ever installed in a car. If you think any vette will out handle an M5, think again.

BTW, Corvette's are my favorite car Hope to own a 6sp 96 Collector's Edition by the end of the year.
ROTFLMAO!

Have you even heard of a Z06? Or driven one? Try autocrossing in the rain with the traction control on and you will be shocked at how effective it is in a Z06. No, an M5 will NEVER keep up in an autocross or road race in the rain or dry given the same level of drivers. Just check with SW in Austin who owns both. Why do you think M5's are non-competitive in SS in Autocrossing where Z06's rule? The answer is simple, they have a lot less grip(tires), a lot more weight and a chassis tuned to understeer. While it is a very good sedan, it doesn't have a chance against a Z06. Neither will the RS6 either for the same reasons.

Side note:

If you know a lot about Corvettes, then you know that the Z51 "competition" suspension on the 96' Corvettes was far softer in spring rates and sway bars than the 84-95' Z51 and Z07 cars. In fact, the "competition" suspension was actually softer than the early standard suspension C4's. This was because the 45+ year-olds that were typically buying the Corvettes complained about the rough ride(yes it is sad). Back in 93' Chevy changed the alignment settings and put narrower wheels and tires on the front to force understeer into the cars. Only the sport suspension cars were given proper rubber after 92'. Don't even consider a 96' without the Z51 suspension.

Despite the nice power jump with the LT4 in 96', they still are below the 86' Z51, 89' Z51 and 91-95' Z07 cars in handling and those cars are the preferred autocrossers for AS. A 95' Z07 would be the best bet for a tight low rattle car with the best handling. If you aren't as interested in the handling as the power, the 96' will be a good choice; not a great choice. You could pick up a faster/rarer early ZR1 for the same money. You find a lot of low mileage early ZR1's well under $30K these days. Keep in mind the Collectors Edition isn't a collector. There were more Silver CE's built than any other color in 96' (over 1/4 of the production). Chevy didn't limit the number of CE's to be built, like the Grand Sport. By comparison, try to find a Z07. There are less 91-95' Z07's than there are CE's. I was looking for a Z51 LT4 CE for a while and quickly changed my mind after getting all the facts.

Back on topic:

The fastest FWD sedan? Well, you will be reading about it in the pages of Turbo magazine in the fall...and yes it is a lot faster than an M5.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:30 PM
I'm so hood

The quickest 4-door...

...is the one that goes the fastest.

(I hope nobody already said that - I didn't look through the whole post)
Old 06-03-2002, 10:40 PM

As far as FWD cars go, the 6-spd Acura Cl-S has to be a contender w/ 260 hp.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:33 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Loren00Miata

ROTFLMAO!

Have you even heard of a Z06? Or driven one? Try autocrossing in the rain with the traction control on and you will be shocked at how effective it is in a Z06. No, an M5 will NEVER keep up in an autocross or road race in the rain or dry given the same level of drivers. Just check with SW in Austin who owns both. Why do you think M5's are non-competitive in SS in Autocrossing where Z06's rule? The answer is simple, they have a lot less grip(tires), a lot more weight and a chassis tuned to understeer. While it is a very good sedan, it doesn't have a chance against a Z06. Neither will the RS6 either for the same reasons.
I simply stated that "you will never get the control" out of a Z06 that you get out of the M5 and this is TRUE. Take an average Joe Schmoe who is driving a Z06 even with traction control and have him do about 40 mph and start weaving down a wet road. Then take the same Mr. Schmoe and stick him in an M5 with its active handling system on the same course going the same speed pulling the same maneuvers and I GUARANTEE not only will it feel more under control to him, but it WILL BE. He'd be lucky not to spin out/oversteer in a Z06 at that speed.

A professional driver will of course prefer the *****-to-the-wall accelleration and skidpad handling that the Z06 has on ANY course, myself included. Point being that they are two TOTALLY different cars with different intended drivers.

And OF COURSE M5's are "non-competitive in SS in Autocrossing where Z06's rule" because (and this is quoting you) they have "a lot more weight and a chassis tuned to understeer". You were just proving my point.

So, you can laugh your a$$ off all you want and you may know exactly what you are talking about with Corvette's, but you have no idea when you're talking about M5's.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

I simply stated that "you will never get the control" out of a Z06 that you get out of the M5 and this is TRUE. Take an average Joe Schmoe who is driving a Z06 even with traction control and have him do about 40 mph and start weaving down a wet road. Then take the same Mr. Schmoe and stick him in an M5 with its active handling system on the same course going the same speed pulling the same maneuvers and I GUARANTEE not only will it feel more under control to him, but it WILL BE. He'd be lucky not to spin out/oversteer in a Z06 at that speed.
You actually already countered your own argument in this one. Traction control and and active handling take control away, not add it. They force the balance away from neutrality and force the car to be slower to keep a line by restricting the vehicles capabilies. They negate the corrections of a good driver. Active handling doesn't let you step out the rear end and drift or help improve cornering speed. It forces you to stay away from the limits of adhesion. What you are talking about is the difference between feeling in control and being in control. Some people who have no idea of how to drive may feel more in control because the active handling keeps them from hitting things due to poor steering corrections. But, it is a 2 edged sword. Try slaloming with active handling and pushing to the limit. No you won't spin. Instead you will run over the cones or completely missing them. You don't even get a chance to make the decision at the limit. That's why when autocrossing or road racing, drivers disable the active handling and traction control. They want to control the car, not let the car control them. Keep in mind that active handling is only a band-aid and not a complete fix for a bad driver. I have see a 2000 Vette Convertible with active handling hit a sign pole(Porsche club event last year) and an M5 spin in the rain(SCCA event) at autocrosses.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Loren, nice post. Can you comment on the banning of "traction control" in F1 in regards to your above post? These guys were going to great lengths to develope "hidden" traction control though the engine's engine management systems vs speed sensors in each wheel. Apparently they were very successful until the governing body found out about it. Maybe the question is too left field but if traction control really took that much control out of the driver's hands, why would these F1 guys be going to so much trouble to develope it? And why is it illegal in the first place then?
Old 06-04-2002, 03:44 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Loren00Miata

You actually already countered your own argument in this one. Traction control and and active handling take control away, not add it. They force the balance away from neutrality and force the car to be slower to keep a line by restricting the vehicles capabilies. They negate the corrections of a good driver. Active handling doesn't let you step out the rear end and drift or help improve cornering speed. It forces you to stay away from the limits of adhesion. What you are talking about is the difference between feeling in control and being in control. Some people who have no idea of how to drive may feel more in control because the active handling keeps them from hitting things due to poor steering corrections. But, it is a 2 edged sword. Try slaloming with active handling and pushing to the limit. No you won't spin. Instead you will run over the cones or completely missing them. You don't even get a chance to make the decision at the limit. That's why when autocrossing or road racing, drivers disable the active handling and traction control. They want to control the car, not let the car control them. Keep in mind that active handling is only a band-aid and not a complete fix for a bad driver. I have see a 2000 Vette Convertible with active handling hit a sign pole(Porsche club event last year) and an M5 spin in the rain(SCCA event) at autocrosses.
I didn't negate anything. The whole point of both of my posts (which you seem to miss somehow) is that I am talking about Joe Shmoe who is NOT the best driver and is NOT looking to actively steer/brake his way out of ANYTHING. And of course it detracts real handling characteristics from the car ... to try and keep it in a straight line since Mr. Schmoe can't do it on his own.

and an M5 spin in the rain (SCCA event) at autocrosses.
Ummmm, who's negating what?

when autocrossing or road racing, drivers disable the active handling and traction control. They want to control the car, not let the car control them.

Now, back to my original point. The M5 will handle better than the Vette (NOT on the skidpad, in the slalom or drifting through turns, but as far as CONTROLLED driving for the AVERAGE driver, in the rain for example). Period.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:44 PM
MaximaFreak

And if you have the patience to sit through the 36MB download with my slow upload speed, check out http://www.maximafreak.com/M5_Video.mpeg