4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rode in a boosted Max today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AllGo
This 6psi seems right just look at other autos out there they just don't make the boost 5spds do, and the auto surely makes your hp numbers look lower just look at your ~145hp baseline.... weak. I have also heard that the V-2s make better boost and that is what Y2kev is running with a 2.87" only making 11psi. I am just saying I don't think you have a problem other than you being an auto and a V-1.
Nope. I've got a 3.25" Pulley. There are several Autos with 9-10PSI with a 3.25" Pulley.
There are no Autos with a 3.25" pulley and only 6PSI. (besides me)

Transmission doesn't affect boost, only hp.

Loren was at 290 without a MEVI and with a stick.

You can subtract 20hp because I have an Auto (270), then add 25+ for the MEVI. That would be 295. I'm getting 267. There is a problem with the PSI and the hp....That's 28hp short.....And I'm being conservative here.

IanS
Old 06-24-2002, 12:30 AM
apocnmbr1

damn bro...your going at this at every angle.....i wish i could just tell u the what the prob is but i cant...although there was something that did make some sence is that maybe your belt is slipping due to some oil and/or grease and not letting the charger spool fast enough. And have u seen where exactly the PSI is being lost?? What i would do write down exactly how much boost your getting at every 500rpm's or so and get some one else with a charger and compare the data. This way you can see where exactly your pressure is being lost and that will get ya one step closer...hope this helps..GL

Old 06-24-2002, 07:22 AM

But how much boost you get doesn't necessarily go with what RPM you are at directly. It's about whether or not you are WOT, and whether or not you started to go WOT at the low end of the powerband.

And I can't drive at WOT and write at the same time

IanS
Old 06-24-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by iansw
But how much boost you get doesn't necessarily go with what RPM you are at directly. It's about whether or not you are WOT, and whether or not you started to go WOT at the low end of the powerband.

And I can't drive at WOT and write at the same time

IanS
What RPM is it shifting at?

What is the boost at this point?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:54 AM

leaky blowoff valve?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:36 AM

On Superchargers, the BOV is supposed to leak somewhat at idle. It doesn't really kick in until well after I let off of throttle. Loren says so, and it's his SC, so I have no reason to doubt him. He knows ALOT about SC's, and is still stumped with my problem.

Nonetheless, I did turn the BOV all the way off, and no improvement or change whatsoever, except that when I let off the gas, it takes longer for the needle to get back to vacuum. (too much pressure with no BOV). I set it back to where Loren had it when done.

And I'm hitting 6PSI at 7000 RPMs, manually shifting.

IanS
Old 06-24-2002, 09:47 AM

And I'm hitting 6PSI at 7000 RPMs, manually shifting.

IanS
7000rpms?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

7000rpms?
yeah, 7000 revolutions per minutes
Old 06-24-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by sx7r

yeah, 7000 revolutions per minutes
Old 06-24-2002, 11:40 AM

Boy, one Typo, and everyone gets up at arms.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:01 PM

Well, I had an appointment with garage SPL (the local Skyline/Nissan shop) and yesterday they misscheduled me, and today their guy who "knows alot about Maximas" never showed up, after I waited for him for over an hour.

The owner told me he had a "family emergency"....grrr.

I did find a small leak in the Intake, but fixed it and got no better results.

Also, I noticed the SC blows out air on the Intake side when I'm parked and revving the engine.

Stupid question, because I'm sure I know the answer, but is that correct?

IanS
Old 06-25-2002, 08:20 PM

Ian you must have some car to have a 7-page thread on the .Org that's not locked yet! I can't imagine 28hp from the MEVI with the S/C, that's amazing. You should check for a leak in your S/C piping, I would assume a loss of 3PSI to be fairly evident.

BTW Craigy there's nothing special about riding shotgun in those overpowered lawn-mowers. Granted it was STOCK, but I rode in a Ferrari F40 and it was pretty fun, I would imagine faster than a Camaro or Trans Am. I've also driven a 500hp R33 Skyline for about 15 feet.
-Cyrus
Old 06-25-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Ian you must have some car to have a 7-page thread on the .Org that's not locked yet! I can't imagine 28hp from the MEVI with the S/C, that's amazing. You should check for a leak in your S/C piping, I would assume a loss of 3PSI to be fairly evident.

BTW Craigy there's nothing special about riding shotgun in those overpowered lawn-mowers. Granted it was STOCK, but I rode in a Ferrari F40 and it was pretty fun, I would imagine faster than a Camaro or Trans Am. I've also driven a 500hp R33 Skyline for about 15 feet.
-Cyrus
Yes, you'd think 3PSI would be evident, but we looked under the hood while boosting on the Dyno, and tried everything we could possibly think of. No leaks anywhere.

Vacuum pressure is within spec.

I'm getting the feeling that the SuperCharger or my car has something wrong with it. Butl ike I said before, I know Loren took care of it. He's well known on the board and well known with Stillen as being very knowledgable.

Howabout exhaust constriction? Would that cause a loss in boost? An exhaust leak?

Grasping at straws here.

IanS
Old 06-25-2002, 08:32 PM

Howabout exhaust constriction? Would that cause a loss in boost? An exhaust leak?
I doubt the constriction would cost you 3PSI. Although most boosted Maximas run 3", I'm sure some are running fine on the stock setup. A leak might cause it though, maybe somewhere crucial like the headers? Good luck though, hope everything turns out well.
-Cyrus
Old 06-25-2002, 09:30 PM

now i know where loren's s/c went. funny he told many people he blew his engine....is this true? also, i am pretty sure that loren was running the 287 to get 9psi of boost. but then again, i have been wrong in the past. yes, the v1's are raspier than the v2's. you should really go with 300 TT injectors and a remap of the ecu's fuel program to accommadate the increased demand for fuel at boost pressures. good luck.....
Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by keener
now i know where loren's s/c went. funny he told many people he blew his engine....is this true? also, i am pretty sure that loren was running the 287 to get 9psi of boost. but then again, i have been wrong in the past. yes, the v1's are raspier than the v2's. you should really go with 300 TT injectors and a remap of the ecu's fuel program to accommadate the increased demand for fuel at boost pressures. good luck.....
Running the 287? Wha'ts that mean?

If he had 9PSI, he hsould get around 287hp.

And he never mentioned anything about blowing an engine. I known someone sold him a BLOWN engine.

Anyway, what would bad compression in the engine be a symptom of if I get perfect idle response (700, steady), no Toruble Codes when I pull them, and no sound of misfire or anything but injectors clicking from the engine?

I'm going to have my compression tested, so answers would help.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 06-25-2002, 09:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iansw
[B]

2.87 turbine pulley rather than the 3.25 you are running. stock is 3.67 i believe. the smaller the pulley, the greater the angular velocity, therefore, increased psi. btw, you really should check that idler pulley on a regualr basis. i talked with another guy out of dallas that experienced the same problem.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:42 PM

Loren, Jane97SE, and a few other people run the 3.25 or 3.125 inch pullies and get 9-11psi, depending.

Loren got 9.5PSi, to be exact, with the 3.25" Pulley.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:44 PM

Well, I've come to the conclusion it's something other than the SC System causing my PSI and power loss.

Look at my timeslips from my run with the MEVI before the SC.

www.cyberhub.net/intake
(bottom of the page)

16.2 with the MEVI is PATHETIC, even with rims and a stereo in the trunk. 16.6 with only the Pop-Charger and Y-Pipe is equally as bad.

I also only Dynoed, with a Pop-Charger, Y-Pipe, AND the MEVI at 155hp. This is equal to STOCK for most Auto Maximas.

Also, the speed shop I was going to take it to has stiffed me 2 days in a row because their tech didn't manage his time wisely.

So I'm taking it to a real mechanic later this week to troubleshoot the problem. Could be a constricted Y-Pipe, could be loss somewhere in the Manifold, coudl be my engine is screwed. (although I doubt it)

After researching about engine compression, I'm 90% sure that's not my exact problem. If my compression were off bad enough to give me this much power loss, I'd notice it idling badly, blue smoke in the tailpipe, bad throttle response, or I'd get a CEL. I have none of these things.

Thanks for all your help, people. Hopefully, a good mechanic will be able to figure this out.

Anyone in the NW know a good mechanic?

IanS
Old 06-26-2002, 05:29 AM

I used to have a Geo Metro. That was fast.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:52 PM

Well, I got that bolt for the clamp from Nissan today.

I unbolted my manifold, checked the placement of the gasket, rebolted it and made sure I torqued it to spec, then put the clamp bolt on, torquing that to spec.

No difference. Still at 17 inches vacuum (spec is 17-22), and 6PSI of boost.

That was my last thing.

I spent another hour re-checking everything I have checked already. Hoses look great, pipe looks great, no audible vacuum leaks, belt is perfect, MAF is good, all connections look good.

So That's it. There is absolutely nothing else I can think of that could possibly be causing my boost loss. 3 mechanics have looked at it now, and no improvement.

Maybe I should just go with a much smaller pulley or something.

Maybe I'll just sell the SC. It obviously hates my car.

<I'm VERY depressed right now>

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 03:15 PM

I spoke with some poeple about the smaller pulley idea...sounds like it's not really doable. The SC may then spin so fast that the seals in it break. We don't want that.

This morning, I took the car to Elite Motorsports and had their Tech look at it again, and paid him an hour labor.

He could find no leaks, and even took apart my Y-Pipe and looked for constriction. Nothing wrong. The Cat and muffler look good also.

Then I went to Infitity of Kirkland, where a guy I know (Some of you know him, Anthony with the Sentra) looked at it again. He didn't see anything wrong either.

So my car is in perfect running shape, and there's no logical explanation why I could be losing a whole 3PSI, except that there's something wrong with the blower.

I'm going to check into how much Vortech charges for Blower reconditioning, and that's my last resort. There's nothing left to check.

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This has been a really long battle for you. I wish I could help, but I don't have any clue as to what the problem could be. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2002, 04:23 PM

It's probably the blower. Strange if there was a problem with the blower, why didn't Loren say anything about it? Hm...

Make me a bit worried myself.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Loren guarantees me there is no way it can be the blower.

But it can't be anything else, except my engine. Which has been looked at also by 3 mechanics who all say it sounds great. It idles perfectly at 700 when warm, also.

They all said it was my blower, because of the metal on metal loud rubbing sound it makes. Loren and MardisGras and some others all told me that sounds normal for a 1st Gen V1.

I really don't think Loren would sell someone a bad blower. I just find that extremely hard to believe.

I don't see how I could have done anything to it however, as it was getting 6PSI since the very first time I drove it.

The money I've spent troubleshooting it could have paid for rebuilding the Blower had I thought that was the problem.

Old 06-29-2002, 06:55 PM

Could it be your transmission? If it's not the blower, then it's the engine, if not, then it's transmission.

It's just weird that you only getting 6psi from a 3.25 pulley. When I had my SC(V2)with the 3.33 pulley, I was getting 7psi. I didn't have a custom CAI, with the custom CAI, I think I would have gain 1 more psi. With the 3.125 pulley, I was getting 9psi. Again, this was without the custom CAI.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Could it be your transmission? If it's not the blower, then it's the engine, if not, then it's transmission.

It's just weird that you only getting 6psi from a 3.25 pulley. When I had my SC(V2)with the 3.33 pulley, I was getting 7psi. I didn't have a custom CAI, with the custom CAI, I think I would have gain 1 more psi. With the 3.125 pulley, I was getting 9psi. Again, this was without the custom CAI.
The car feels great and shifts better than every before since I put in the VB Mod.

Is there a way the transmission could affect boost other than shifting wrong?

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 07:11 PM

The car feels great and shifts better than every before since I put in the VB Mod.

Is there a way the transmission could affect boost other than shifting wrong?

IanS

I'm not too sure of that. I do know the auto tranny isn't exactly the best to handle boost.

Have you done your tuneup yet? Like changing the fuel filter, knock sensor, PCV valve, spark plugs, oil change(to synthetic), and transmission flush and fill(with synthetic)? I know when I had my SC, my car wasn't running too good either. It didn't feel as strong as it should. I had no idea what was wrong. I thought it was the SC. After I sold the SC, I did the tuneup and my car ran great. I definitely regret selling the SC knowing it wasn't the problem.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:19 PM

Trans should not effect boost.

As a last resort... Have you degreased all the pullies that the six rib belt rides on? Loosen the belt and slip it off the pullies then spray the pullies and belt with some engine degreaser ,clean the pulley groves out with a tooth brush. Rinse and then wipe the excess water off and let it dry overnight. Try that and then tighten the belt so it can oly be twistwed to 45deg, I run mine this tight. Yes stillen recomends 90deg but thats with a larger pulley that spins less then a 3.25, the faster it spins the more surface tension it needs to not slip. Belt slipage can cause lower than expected boost, vortech recomends cog belts for high boost applications. Its worth a shot if you havent done it yet, its more elbow grease than money.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

I'm not too sure of that. I do know the auto tranny isn't exactly the best to handle boost.

Have you done your tuneup yet? Like changing the fuel filter, knock sensor, PCV valve, spark plugs, oil change(to synthetic), and transmission flush and fill(with synthetic)? I know when I had my SC, my car wasn't running too good either. It didn't feel as strong as it should. I had no idea what was wrong. I thought it was the SC. After I sold the SC, I did the tuneup and my car ran great. I definitely regret selling the SC knowing it wasn't the problem.
Did a full tune-up of all the things you listed 3 months ago, minus the PCV. I was told if that is bad or needs cleaning, your idle will not be steady, and my idle is perfect.

Oh, and the knock sensor, which noone has ever told me that that is part of a regular tune-up. It's not throwing any codes, even when running the diagnostics on the ECU.

Put in 1-step colder plugs when I installed the SC, and have always used synthetic oil.

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 07:26 PM

Trans should not effect boost.

As a last resort... Have you degreased all the pullies that the six rib belt rides on? Loosen the belt and slip it off the pullies then spray the pullies and belt with some engine degreaser ,clean the pulley groves out with a tooth brush. Rinse and then wipe the excess water off and let it dry overnight. Try that and then tighten the belt so it can oly be twistwed to 45deg, I run mine this tight. Yes stillen recomends 90deg but thats with a larger pulley that spins less then a 3.25, the faster it spins the more surface tension it needs to not slip. Belt slipage can cause lower than expected boost, vortech recomends cog belts for high boost applications. Its worth a shot if you havent done it yet, its more elbow grease than money.
Hmmm. ebmorgan took my car to the mechanic the other day while I was at work. I had the belt set to not be over 75 degrees, (because you told me to make it a little tighter than Stillen's suggestion)

But the mechanic at that shop told him that was too tight, so ebmorgan loosened it against my wishes.

But I have tried it on there VERY tight with no change. If the belt was too loose, I would have noticed SOME kind of difference when I loosened it more and tightened it more, wouldn't I?

Also, wouldn't I be able to hear the belt slipping?

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 07:28 PM

Also, wouldn't I be able to hear the belt slipping?
I doubt you would here it at WOT while in the upper rpms.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:04 PM

I doubt you would here it at WOT while in the upper rpms.
I definately heard nothing like that while standing outside the car next to it with the hood open while it was on the Dyno.

But I'll check that out.

IanS
Old 06-29-2002, 10:56 PM

I just decided to put it all out of my mind and go for a ride without worrying about the boost or even looking at the guage.

I do have to admit, my car is mad fast now, whether I'm missing 3PSI or not.

An Integra passed me with his fart can...BrrraaaattttBrrraaaaat.

I floored it and the guy had his window down and looked startled when all he heard was Sccccrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa
VVVrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooommmmmmm.

Within 3 seconds, the annoying fart can was well behind me.

IanS