4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hesitation/lag on 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:42 PM

Hesitation/lag on 5spd

Got a 96 SE 5sp and for the last several thousand miles, I have a about a split second delay just after I shift where the car seems to be choking. This lag seems to happen more in 3rd and 4th gear than the other gears. But its definitely intermittent and ofcourse magnified with the A/C on. I have just cleaned my throttle body, it was nasty. It didn't seem to help. I am about to change my fuel filter too, although I don't think this will help either. Oil is changed every 3k and I have a K&N filter. The car hasn't seen octane below 92 ever...Otherwise my car is in tip top. Anyone have any ideas or experience the same problem in their 5speeds?

Thanks to this site and Maximadriver.com, I have put clear bumpers on(like night and day) and my hybrid intake is coming and also my Budget y-pipe. I should have them on this weekend.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Hesitation/lag on 5spd

Ohhhhhh yes it will
The feul filter is supposed to be changed every 15K miles. It is a very ofetn neglected maintenance item. I bet your feul filter is the original one that came on the car from factory.

You may want to step up to a 300ZX feul filter. It's twice the size. I have it on mine. It won't boost performance, just double the change interval to 30K miles.

DW

Originally posted by ATLMax
. . I am about to change my fuel filter too, although I don't think this will help either . . .
Old 06-19-2002, 09:20 PM

Re: Re: Hesitation/lag on 5spd

I changed my fuel filter at 50k and I have 90k now. I guess its time to change again. Actually I had this problem back at 50k and changing my filter didn't fix it...

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Ohhhhhh yes it will
The feul filter is supposed to be changed every 15K miles. It is a very ofetn neglected maintenance item. I bet your feul filter is the original one that came on the car from factory.

You may want to step up to a 300ZX feul filter. It's twice the size. I have it on mine. It won't boost performance, just double the change interval to 30K miles.

DW

Old 06-19-2002, 10:32 PM

It may be bad plugs...alot of guys change theres on the .org and say they feel a big difference..you wont feel anything over stock, it will just bring the stock power that was once there, back

-matt

I think I need new ones soon too
Old 06-20-2002, 01:24 AM

try

a tune up
throttle body cleaning
adjusting the throttle cable
Old 06-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think I know exactly what you're talking about, and changing fuel filter and doing tune up won't help at all.

The hesitation during shifts I think is just how the manual tranny is on our cars. The car seems to bog down a little before the gear fully engages. I've noticed it both on my 98 SE and on my friends 95 GXE. It's pretty annoying during quick shifts, but it doesnt happen all the time. Like you said, it seems to happen mostly during the 3rd to 4th gear change.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:50 AM

Yep, I have the same problem on my '99, usually in 3rd or 4th. I only have 36K, changed fuel filter at 30K. It only happens at WOT, and only like 1 time out of 10. It's just stoooopid.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:47 AM

Thinking about it a little more, I've noticed my car started doing that recently. I thought it had to do with my recently installed ACT clutch. The ACT is a storng clutch, but it ain't the smoothest. I was starting to think that the bogging that occurs is b/c the ACT engages the gears so abruptly sometimes. Never happened with my stock clutch. Are you guys all running aftermarket clutches?

DW
Old 06-20-2002, 06:10 AM

Seems like a common intermittent problem. I have a stock clutch still. I hope when I put my new intake in, it will help.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Thinking about it a little more, I've noticed my car started doing that recently. I thought it had to do with my recently installed ACT clutch. The ACT is a storng clutch, but it ain't the smoothest. I was starting to think that the bogging that occurs is b/c the ACT engages the gears so abruptly sometimes. Never happened with my stock clutch. Are you guys all running aftermarket clutches?

DW
Old 06-20-2002, 12:54 PM

DW

What do you mean by the ACT being "not the smoothest?" I have 600 miles on mine and its alot smoother then when I first got it but its still roufe when I engade 1st and Reverse...IM HOPEING it goes away soon..alot of guys say it goes away fully after 1000K Miles...

-matt

Oh and the hesitation your talking about, I have that too..I thaught it was my slave cylinder that wasnt realaced when I did the clutch...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: DW

The ACT clutch gets easier as you break it in, but it never becomes like stock. With the ACT, when egaging gears, there's a point where the clutch just starts to grab and the point wehre the clutch is fully engaged. The distance between the 2 is very small, so it's harder to engage smoothly. You can do it, but it is more effort than the stock clutch. I am mostly used to it now. If I let a frined drive my car, stall city all the time. I keep warning them that my clutch is tight, and they realize just how much

With the stock Nissan clutch, the grab and fully engaged area of play was much wider. A little too wide. The stock clutch was weaker, but smoother, too.

DW

Originally posted by matty
What do you mean by the ACT being "not the smoothest?" I have 600 miles on mine and its alot smoother then when I first got it but its still roufe when I engade 1st and Reverse...IM HOPEING it goes away soon..alot of guys say it goes away fully after 1000K Miles...

-matt

Oh and the hesitation your talking about, I have that too..I thaught it was my slave cylinder that wasnt realaced when I did the clutch...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:12 PM

I have 600 miles and the clutch like grindes when I engage 1st and reverse...its like a chatter

-matt
Old 06-20-2002, 01:36 PM
www.autotalk.com

Seems like a common intermittent problem. I have a stock clutch still. I hope when I put my new intake in, it will help.

Where in ATL are you? hopefuly ATL means ATLanta.. otherwise sorry to be a PW on this thread
Old 06-20-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by matty
I have 600 miles and the clutch like grindes when I engage 1st and reverse...its like a chatter

-matt
The chatter is when you're letting the clutch out right? It's not when you try putting the gear selector into the gear is it?
As for the hesitation issue; my car occassionally has similar symptoms. It's all most like the car is flooding for a moment - it's probably from the extra gas that is being dumped in at the higher rpm lingering around a little bit when the rpms drop so suddenly

For you 5 speeds - if I take off in first slowly, meaining the clutch is out but I'm casually driving, if I stomp on the gas at around 4 or 5k rpm the car doesn't spin the tires, it seems like either the clutch slips or the tires are spinning but aren't making any noise. I doubt the clutch is slipping since it chirps 4 of the gears, and is a fairly new ACT, but I don't have any tire squeal on these occassions. DO you experience this? Is it that the engine spools up so quick so it sounds like I should be spinning? I can't explain what I'm talking about but thanks for reading this far.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:49 PM

sure does, i live in buckhead near lenox/phipps. my budget y-pipe shipped today and my intake arrives hopefully tommorrow...

Originally posted by Max4Speed

Where in ATL are you? hopefuly ATL means ATLanta.. otherwise sorry to be a PW on this thread
Old 06-20-2002, 02:02 PM

BTW, your Max is lookin nice...

Originally posted by Max4Speed

Old 06-20-2002, 03:42 PM

BTW, your Max is lookin nice...

could be knock sensor is your check engine light on??
Old 06-20-2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

For you 5 speeds - if I take off in first slowly, meaining the clutch is out but I'm casually driving, if I stomp on the gas at around 4 or 5k rpm the car doesn't spin the tires, it seems like either the clutch slips or the tires are spinning but aren't making any noise. I doubt the clutch is slipping since it chirps 4 of the gears, and is a fairly new ACT, but I don't have any tire squeal on these occassions. DO you experience this? Is it that the engine spools up so quick so it sounds like I should be spinning? I can't explain what I'm talking about but thanks for reading this far.
If I floor it in first, anywhere above 3k rpm, the tires will squeal. I have the stock clutch. My tires sometimes don't squeal if i just do a burnout from stop, but I can still smell them burning (I hope its the tires) so I guess Kumhos sometimes dont screech when they are laying down rubber.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:44 PM

As least you guys have a 5spd. If you think the lag is bad on a 5spd, just imagine an auto! Definitely the thing I hate the most about the auto IS the lag.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by nizmo

could be knock sensor is your check engine light on??
nope, check engine light is not on...
Old 06-20-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747

If I floor it in first, anywhere above 3k rpm, the tires will squeal. I have the stock clutch. My tires sometimes don't squeal if i just do a burnout from stop, but I can still smell them burning (I hope its the tires) so I guess Kumhos sometimes dont screech when they are laying down rubber.
I tried this on the way home from work today. I stomped on the gas in 1st around 3500rpm and it took off but no squeal at all. Do you guys have intake mod and y-pipe? I just got my hybrid intake and budget y-pipe today. I'm hoping to get some new squealing.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:24 PM

A bad knock sensor alone is not enough to trigger the check engine light. Check the ECU for any error codes, 0304 is the knock sensor.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 PM

It all depends on your tires if you get squeal through first..my buddy only has an intake and 5spd and he get sqeal all the way through 1st..I have my 17's, CAI, ACT, and Y-pipe and I dont, But i can also chirp third and he cant :P

-matt
Old 06-21-2002, 02:31 AM

I tried this on the way home from work today. I stomped on the gas in 1st around 3500rpm and it took off but no squeal at all. Do you guys have intake mod and y-pipe? I just got my hybrid intake and budget y-pipe today. I'm hoping to get some new squealing.
Try doing it at an even higher RPM.. All I have is an intake (pop charger) and I can usually make the tires spin through first gear. Get it up to about 4000 rpm, then let off the gas a little, and then just mash it really hard. If your car doesn't spin the tires, I think something is wrong (this is of course assuming manual tranny).
Old 06-21-2002, 08:55 AM

I'm sure someone will argue w/ me but the knock sensor doesn't always trip the CEL - it didn't on my car.