4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3 Hr. Fuel Filter Change (little on the long side)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 06:28 PM

3 Hr. Fuel Filter Change (little on the long side)

Seems like a lot of people on the .org make it out like the fuel filter is a peice of cake to do. It took me 3 hours! A good hour and a half of that time getting the hoses on and off the filter. What a pain in the behind Nissan made this out to be. I had to do it from the bottom of the car by wedgeing my left arm through the wheel well area to hold the filter while using my right arm between the transmission and chassis to work on the hose. Most likely because I have large hands and the ABS lines were in my way. Why couldn't Nissan make the fuel hose off the firewall about 4 inches longer. Then it probally would have only taken me 30 minutes max. I just feel like I am inferior now for taking so long. Live and learn I guess.

Tomorrow I want to do my PCV valve. Anyone have any sugestions for getting the hoses above it out of the way? I see that the harness thing the hoses are in unscrews from the throttle body, but that even with that unscrewed the hoses remain in the way. I need to make up for lost time spent on my fuel filter. I know about the search function, you don't need to tell me. I will use it tomorrow before I go at it if nobody feels like responding.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:36 PM

Re: 3 Hr. Fuel Filter Change (little on the long side)

Just be glad you weren't changing the one in in a gas tank. Having changed several fuel filters on a Suburban and on my jeeps, I have to say the Maxima is not hard. Or maybe mines really easy..

Going from the bottom is a pain, too. Remove the stock air intake up to the throttle body, get a screwdriver and go at it. 30 Min job at worst. Took me about 10 minutes. Just yank at the hoses and pry with the screwdriver between the hose and the filter.

[edit] I see now you have ABS, I guess that makes a big difference
Old 06-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 3 Hr. Fuel Filter Change (little on the long side)

Originally posted by TheNip73
Seems like a lot of people on the .org make it out like the fuel filter is a peice of cake to do. It took me 3 hours! A good hour and a half of that time getting the hoses on and off the filter. What a pain in the behind Nissan made this out to be. I had to do it from the bottom of the car by wedgeing my left arm through the wheel well area to hold the filter while using my right arm between the transmission and chassis to work on the hose. Most likely because I have large hands and the ABS lines were in my way. Why couldn't Nissan make the fuel hose off the firewall about 4 inches longer. Then it probally would have only taken me 30 minutes max. I just feel like I am inferior now for taking so long. Live and learn I guess.

Tomorrow I want to do my PCV valve. Anyone have any sugestions for getting the hoses above it out of the way? I see that the harness thing the hoses are in unscrews from the throttle body, but that even with that unscrewed the hoses remain in the way. I need to make up for lost time spent on my fuel filter. I know about the search function, you don't need to tell me. I will use it tomorrow before I go at it if nobody feels like responding.
Follow the hose that attaches to the PCV Valve up to the bracket. Take the screw(s) that hold the bracket out (I think they are 10mm).
Use a pair of duckbill pliers to slide back clamp holding hose to PCV valve. You can now pull hose off or pull PCV Valve out. Put in new PCV valve in hose, replace clamp, put PCV valve back in valve cover and replace bracket and screws. Shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes. Be well!!!!
Old 06-22-2002, 07:55 PM

luckily i dont have ABS....i can see why it's a pain in the *** and why it took so long
heck it took me about 45 mins to do mine the first time..but i'm pretty sure it'll only take me about 10-15mins now
i think nissan made it hard to reach just so ppl will bring it to the shop to have that simple task done
Old 06-22-2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
i think nissan made it hard to reach just so ppl will bring it to the shop to have that simple task done
I seriously don't think thats true. The filter is right inline with where the line comes up the engine. Be glad your filter isn't in the gas tank where it is in many cars.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by 97GLE

I seriously don't think thats true. The filter is right inline with where the hose comes up the engine. Be glad your filter isn't in the gas tank where many cars are.
i agreee that the max isn't as hard as other cars but, if the hose were a little bit longer, wouldn't it be alot easier to work with?
Old 06-22-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
i agreee that the max isn't as hard as other cars but, if the hose were a little bit longer, wouldn't it be alot easier to get to?
Maybe my car is different, but my hose was in a clip under the filter. You unclip it and it has plenty of play.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:56 PM

Maybe my car is different, but my hose was in a clip under the filter. You unclip it and it has plenty of play.
No clips. The hoses were screwed on. Getting a phillips head in that little area... Its not gonna happen. At least on my car.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by TheNip73

No clips. The hoses were screwed on. Getting a phillips head in that little area... Its not gonna happen. At least on my car.
No...

There's a clip that the hose runs through underneath the filter. You pull the filter out of its clamp, then pull the hose out of the clip below.

If you took the stock airbox out it is 10x easier.

I'm just saying I doub't Nissan made an egineering decision to make there car difficult to work on. Makes absolutly no sense. Do you think Nissan gets more money because its a little difficult to change the fuel filter. I doub't <1% of Maxima owners would change thier fuel filters on thier own even if it was the easiest thing in the world to do.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:18 PM

No...

There's a clip that the hose runs through underneath the filter. You pull the filter out of its clamp, then pull the hose out of the clip below.

If you took the stock airbox out it is 10x easier.

I'm just saying I doub't Nissan made an egineering decision to make there car difficult to work on. Makes absolutly no sense. Do you think Nissan gets more money because its a little difficult to change the fuel filter. I doub't <1% of Maxima owners would change thier fuel filters on thier own even if it was the easiest thing in the world to do.
I agree on the engineering aspect. As for the hose being in a clip, my hose was already out of the clip, I didn't have one, or the clip was very low on the firewall near the transmission becauseI followed along the hose as far as I could looking for a way to get some slack. I even rerouted its path for ease next time. Even so, next time I will take off the air box, if there ever is a next time.

What do you think about using a purolator filter. The dealer was closed by the time I was out and about today. I believe in using all oem parts when possible, but didn't want to wait a week to get this done.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I don't know about them. I imagine their fine. I used a Nissan 300ZX filter. It's about twice the size of the stock filter but it fits in the same bracket. Should give you twice the service life. All I know is that the OE filters are high quality.

Maybe someone else can help with that.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:38 PM

fuel filter supposed to be changed every 30k miles if not earlier, so i think it goes along with the regular maintenance
Old 06-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

30k miles for the 300ZX filter, 15k for the regular Nissan or another brand filter