4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Improving Intake and Kills

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 01:59 PM

produce it plz!!! if people dont like the way it looks, they could just paint it....
Old 07-01-2002, 02:37 PM

If it does what you say it does...

If you sell it, I will buy it.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:00 PM

Get some pictures and a dyno... it sounds great, but id like to see it and some proof
Old 07-01-2002, 04:16 PM

Variable Valve Timing?

I then floor it till I get to about 6100-6200. I find there is little performance to be found over that, plus when I shift into second, and the variable valve timing on the exhaust has kicked in I really pull hard on that shift.

When you posted this reply, what do you mean by variable valve timing on the exhaust? Am I missing something?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Sin

Re: Variable Valve Timing?

Originally posted by Chris99SE
I then floor it till I get to about 6100-6200. I find there is little performance to be found over that, plus when I shift into second, and the variable valve timing on the exhaust has kicked in I really pull hard on that shift.

When you posted this reply, what do you mean by variable valve timing on the exhaust? Am I missing something?
The V6 on our cars has variable valve timing on the exhaust valves. That's why around the 3000rpm area, you'll find a slight but noticeable change in output linearity and sound because of the exhaust valves. But because ours doesn't use an entirely seperate system as with the DOHC VTEC systems, ours cannot be as aggressive, therefore, it's not as noticeable on our cars. That lack of aggressiveness is made up in durability and in smoothness. This is also why the VI make such a difference on your cars. When the intake and the exhaust can be varied, large gains can be found as has been shown.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Sin

Patience

When I have found a better manufacturing process (which I am working on right now with an engineer with Toyota/Lexus (he works on dash design for future Lexus interiors), and I can get a better idea on exactly how long it will take to make each intake, and how much each intake will cost to produce, I will have everything ready. That includes pics, dyno charts, high quality digital sound recordings, and anything else that may be relevant, and provide it all on a web site. Hopefully, I'll find a way to coat the fibreglass in plastic. It is possible, it's just a matter of cost and production size. In order to get the mold done, I'd be looking at a minimum of 1000 units.

I know some of you are very anxious, and I don't want to jump into this without being entirely prepared. One issue I also have to look into are legal aspects of a car mod, which I will discuss with a relative who is a lawyer. So yes, I want to make the best intake I can make, and yes I'm trying to get everything done as quickly as possible.

Now I know how guys like custommaxima, and warpspeed, and budget feel about guys wanting product in development.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Patience

Originally posted by Sin
When I have found a better manufacturing process (which I am working on right now with an engineer with Toyota/Lexus (he works on dash design for future Lexus interiors), and I can get a better idea on exactly how long it will take to make each intake, and how much each intake will cost to produce, I will have everything ready. That includes pics, dyno charts, high quality digital sound recordings, and anything else that may be relevant, and provide it all on a web site. Hopefully, I'll find a way to coat the fibreglass in plastic. It is possible, it's just a matter of cost and production size. In order to get the mold done, I'd be looking at a minimum of 1000 units.

I know some of you are very anxious, and I don't want to jump into this without being entirely prepared. One issue I also have to look into are legal aspects of a car mod, which I will discuss with a relative who is a lawyer. So yes, I want to make the best intake I can make, and yes I'm trying to get everything done as quickly as possible.
Hey guys....I too have built a new type of intake. I raced a Ferarri Maranello and a Porsche 911 twin turbo. I smoked them hard. They kept asking me if I had a quad turbo set-up. But I told them it was just an intake. They didn't believe me...Oh well. I guess I'll have to go find a Lamboroghini Murcielago to race next since I can beat everyone else.
Now I know how guys like custommaxima, and warpspeed, and budget feel about guys wanting product in development.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:07 AM
Sin

Re: Re: Patience

Originally posted by NATE98GLE
Am I supposed to be offended by that? I'm really not sure.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Patience

Originally posted by Sin

Am I supposed to be offended by that? I'm really not sure.
u're suppose to ignore that post
Old 07-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Lightly modded

i am also very interested in this. if you could make one specifically for maximas with the VI, that would be very cool. but otherwise, as long as it gets made, i think a lot of people will be happy.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Improving Intake and Kills

Originally posted by Sin
We spoke briefly at the next red light, and he swore I had nitrous. He was like, "There is no way your car sounds like that with just an intake." And I was like, "The sad part is, my car is bone stock other than the intake I made myself." He told me he had an X-pipe full exhaust, underdrive pulleys, (he had a lowered suspension) and a K&N. I asked if he wanted to run again, he said "No man, you're on the bottle, it's not fair." I just said whatever and left it at that.
I saw a 5.0 'stang on Horsepower T.V the other day. Stock it dynoed at 166 rwhp. With exhaust, intake, UDP, ignition, FMU, and throttle body upgrades, it only dynoed at 184 rwhp. Sounds like a good match for a VQ to me!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Lightly modded

:gravedigging:
so...whats the news man?
Old 10-25-2003, 07:09 AM

Yeah, Sin, what's up with this intake. I still don't have an intake, thinking of buying from Budget Exhaust for their intake. Are you Canadian, because I think I've seen you on the Toronto Maxima forums. I'd love to see dyno charts though, or even meet up with you if you're in Toronto sometime.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Power
Yeah, Sin, what's up with this intake. I still don't have an intake, thinking of buying from Budget Exhaust for their intake. Are you Canadian, because I think I've seen you on the Toronto Maxima forums. I'd love to see dyno charts though, or even meet up with you if you're in Toronto sometime.
Yep, Sin has been on the TMEC before I beileve. Hey Shift_Power want to come to a toronto maxima meet on November 1??? Check the Canada forum???
Old 10-25-2003, 11:32 AM

I could care less about the looks of an intake. If it makes a stock Maxima that much faster, than I will for sures buy it. All I care about is performance.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Sin
Very true! I'm not super driver, but I have gone through a couple racing schools and do have a racing license. I needed it to test drive and race for the University of Toronto Engineering Formala SAE team. Now that thing was fun. A motorcycle engine with a 14-16000rpm redline, weighing little more than 500-600 pounds. It's 0-60 was in the 3.5 second range, but what was REALLY impressive was the brakes.
Yeah Toronto! I was born and raised there and miss it horribly. In little Albany, NY for med school.

Get pics of that intake up!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 02:48 PM

Hey bro, thanks for the invite, yeah, I'm coming, just to the dinner though! Screen name over there is Shift_Chirp, what's yours?
Old 10-25-2003, 07:19 PM

Hey bro, thanks for the invite, yeah, I'm coming, just to the dinner though! Screen name over there is Shift_Chirp, what's yours?
Screen name Alin on the TMEC, oh now I remember you See you at the meet, it's a shame you can't come go-karting. Ciao

-Alin-
Old 10-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Eh Sin,

My sister has a 1.8T chipped with full exhaust, she runs 14.8-14.9 in the q/m. Your tale is accurate if you are indeed running 14.65

When are you going to fab me up a custom SC CAI so I can ditch this plumbing equipment?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:36 AM

whered sin go?