4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help, is the ECU dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 05:29 PM

Please help, is the ECU dead?

Long story made short, i have a SC 95 max. Been having starting problems, changed the battery and the problem wasn't solved, I then attempted to change teh 140A battery fuse and in the process, while disconnecting the battery terminals dropped the wrench somehow, and a spark of electricity ensued, now, I do not have any electrical response at all, does this mean the ECU is dead or something is wrong with the wiring? There is no kind of Electrical response whatsoever, trunk doesn't open, nothing, thanks.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: Please help, is the ECU dead?

Originally posted by brodaiga
Long story made short, i have a SC 95 max. Been having starting problems, changed the battery and the problem wasn't solved, I then attempted to change teh 140A battery fuse and in the process, while disconnecting the battery terminals dropped the wrench somehow, and a spark of electricity ensued, now, I do not have any electrical response at all, does this mean the ECU is dead or something is wrong with the wiring? There is no kind of Electrical response whatsoever, trunk doesn't open, nothing, thanks.
It is not the ECU that is keeping you from having power.. Does your battery have power??? If so attach a jumper wires from the negative lead of the battery to your engine.. Do you have power now?? If not then your pos. wire died somewhere.. I think there is a big fuse for the whole system.. (not sure but BMW has one) it is probably that.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Please help, is the ECU dead?

Originally posted by cbr2

It is not the ECU that is keeping you from having power.. Does your battery have power??? If so attach a jumper wires from the negative lead of the battery to your engine.. Do you have power now?? If not then your pos. wire died somewhere.. I think there is a big fuse for the whole system.. (not sure but BMW has one) it is probably that.
Hey, it is a brand new die hard battery on there from sears, i tried jump starting the car, and there is no response, it's like there is no kind of electrical response at all, waht do you mean connect the battery to the engine? How do I do taht? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Please help, is the ECU dead?

ok... Take your jumper cables... Connect only the negative one to the battery.. then connect the other end of the wire to the engine... The engine is grounded just like the battery is so you will in effect bypass one of the wires off the battery..
Old 07-04-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help, is the ECU dead?

Originally posted by cbr2
ok... Take your jumper cables... Connect only the negative one to the battery.. then connect the other end of the wire to the engine... The engine is grounded just like the battery is so you will in effect bypass one of the wires off the battery..
Sorry to be ignorant, but where in the engine do I connect the other negative electrode, how would this give it power? Thanks
Old 07-04-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help, is the ECU dead?

Sorry to be ignorant, but where in the engine do I connect the other negative electrode, how would this give it power? Thanks

I think he means, just to touch any metal part of the engine. And it wont give the engine any power at all, it will make sure like that the wires are good or sumtin....
Old 07-05-2002, 05:27 PM

EUREKA, problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for help

Old 07-05-2002, 06:12 PM

EUREKA, problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for help

I've read this thread to this point, what was it?
Old 07-05-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

I've read this thread to this point, what was it?
It was the 140 fuse, When i first changed, I didn't tighten the battery nodes tight enough, oh yeah, tools, thanks for the blue LED window advice, gonna do my security light soon!