4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gtp == :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:33 AM

I just wanted to add something about the GTP's auto tranny. GM makes excellent auto transmissions as far as performance goes, as a matter of fact Camaros and Firebirds with autos are faster than the manuals. So I don't think you guys saying the GTP has "only an auto option and no 5spd" don't have a very valid arguement there, but I must agree it would be a pretty close race stock for stock, I would love to run one at the track it would be fun but I havn't had the oppourtunity yet. Where are you NC GTP guys?
Old 08-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by GTPguy97

Well in this case your $.02 is totally worthless because trust me, I would have absolutely no reason to lie about this as there are a thousand GTP owners who can testify that when you are drag-racing you start off with the shifter in 2 and leave it there until 93mph. I have no idea what GP GT's or SE's do, they are limited to 108 while the GTP's are limited to 126. I guess 1st & 2nd gears are tall while 3rd & 4th are short, my 1st tops out at 45mph....anybody wanna call BS on that? And GTP's w/ the PCM mod (no limiter) are going 150+ no problem. I think one guy has gone 156.

Later,
GTPguy97-

I can't believe you don't know that the GTs and 3800 series SEs come with a deeper gear ratio than the GTP. That's why you can do 90+ in 2nd while the NA 3800s do 78 or so. I knew this and I don't even own a GP My 94 Z28 auto had a 2.73 and I could do 90mph in 2nd and I did 145 in 3rd at 5200rpms (still had 400rpms to go).

As for me seeing visually slow down at the track when hitting 3rd, keep in mind that I've watched a ton of highly modded GTPs run at KCIR. I was talking about some of the more high powered GTPs which hit 3rd shortly after the 1/8th mile. You can watch them run toe to toe with LS1s the first 1/8 and then it's all over for the GTP as the LS1 starts running away.

Dave
Old 08-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by KINGMAX
I just wanted to add something about the GTP's auto tranny. GM makes excellent auto transmissions as far as performance goes, as a matter of fact Camaros and Firebirds with autos are faster than the manuals. So I don't think you guys saying the GTP has "only an auto option and no 5spd" don't have a very valid arguement there, but I must agree it would be a pretty close race stock for stock, I would love to run one at the track it would be fun but I havn't had the oppourtunity yet. Where are you NC GTP guys?
GM does build excellent auto trannies with ideal gearing (usually). GM even builds autos for BMW. The problem with the GTP tranny (4T65E) is that it's rated 280 ft/lbs while the GTP already puts that out stock. Having a tranny that comes from the factory already taxed to it's torque rating isn't a good thing. Throw on a pulley and you've exceeded the factory rating. The 4L60E used in F-Bodies/Vettes/light trucks is rated at 450 ft/lbs and none of these vehicles come close, in stock form, to meeting the max torque load.

Dave
Old 08-03-2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by GTPguy97

As far as exceeding your expectations? Not so fast big guy! You'll have to do alot better than a 14.6 to say you are on par with pullied GTP's. Now I will assume you are meaning GTP's that have the proper intake and exhaust mods to back up the pulley, right? Not just a stock GTP with a 3.4 slapped on it. I'm at 14.3 with the 3 mods and I'm just average at best. Lots of guys are into the 13's with the 3 and lots more are low low 14's. So I'll believe this VI manifold is a miracle mod, and that you'll be showing pullied GTP's your tailights, when you come back with a slip much better than 14.6.

Later,
remember kcir is a crappy track, & his 60" is like 2.3?!?!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:42 AM

The problem with the GTP tranny (4T65E) is that it's rated 280 ft/lbs while the GTP already puts that out stock. Having a tranny that comes from the factory already taxed to it's torque rating isn't a good thing.

Yeah, definatly not a good thing especially with all the people modifying their cars these days. Why did they do this? I can't beleive the engineers could overlook something like that!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:43 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

This is one thing that boggles my mind...Japanese/Euro Engineering is usually superior Engine wise to American engineering, yet GM builds such good tranny's? Why can't the Jap/Euro's get a hint and make transmissions as good as their engines??

But just for the record, Dodge and Fords transmissions are crappy in certain cars. My mom's 96 Grand Caravan has had COUNTLESS transmission problems, and my dads '95 Eddy Bauer exporer blew its 2nd gear. All this around 100k miles. My sister's '95 GXE maxima AUTO with 167,530 miles is still kickin' strong and has never had any problems.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:55 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Craig Mack
This is one thing that boggles my mind...Japanese/Euro Engineering is usually superior Engine wise to American engineering, yet GM builds such good tranny's? Why can't the Jap/Euro's get a hint and make transmissions as good as their engines??

But just for the record, Dodge and Fords transmissions are crappy in certain cars. My mom's 96 Grand Caravan has had COUNTLESS transmission problems, and my dads '95 Eddy Bauer exporer blew its 2nd gear. All this around 100k miles. My sister's '95 GXE maxima AUTO with 167,530 miles is still kickin' strong and has never had any problems.
Contrary to popular belief, GM also makes some highly reliable motors. It's the chassis around the motor and tranny that usually isn't put together well. GM really knows how to tune an automatic and I wish other companies would learn from their design and execution. The 4L60E in my Z28 was a very smooth shifter at part-throttle, but when you went WOT, the tranny shifted very hard which is ideal for ultimate tranny life. My father's 96 Tahoe shifts the same way. The Japanese seem to tune their US-spec cars to shift very smoothly and a bit slowly. The 2k2 auto Max I drove shifted pretty good, but it still could have shifted much harder. As for the Caravan example, my parents had an 89 and it munched 5 trannies in 5 years along with 7 A/C replacement/repairs. My father swears he will never by another Dodge/Crylser again.

Dave
Old 08-04-2002, 11:55 PM

my family has mainly buys GM and ford. i wont even start on the ford, but the GM stuff holds up well. from what i have seen they build good strong engine's (not as good as jap engines, but then again what is.) and like said before the tranny's are excellent. the problem is the chassis and body. my mom has a 2 year old grandprix that has had no problems other than the fact that that her rear axle is comming apart and suspension is shot and the car makes a loud huvering noise. but for the most part they are well built cars
Old 08-05-2002, 10:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Originally posted by DTR Maxima
my mom has a 2 year old grandprix that has had no problems other than the fact that that her rear axle is comming apart and suspension is shot and the car makes a loud huvering noise. but for the most part they are well built cars
Old 08-05-2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

GTPguy97-

I can't believe you don't know that the GTs and 3800 series SEs come with a deeper gear ratio than the GTP. That's why you can do 90+ in 2nd while the NA 3800s do 78 or so. I knew this and I don't even own a GP
Yeah, yeah, yeah........I never paid much attention to gears and such, I knew that the ratios were different in GT's & SE's than GTP's but what they are exactly I couldn't tell you to save my life. At least you came along and helped me silence all the doubters that I could do 90+ in 2nd, thanks.

Later,
Old 08-05-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by purmax

hey as$, go back to your own forum, no one asked for your .02
haha, jeez. its all in good fun dude....
Old 08-05-2002, 08:42 PM

yeah i know, i apologized earlier. i have lots of respect for the GTP