5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

someone tried to JACK my 2k2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 09:09 PM
AIX

someone tried to JACK my 2k2!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeahp, that's right - in broad daylight too - I leave my car for 10-15mins in a Whitestone shopping center parking lot (nyc) and I come back to see that my driver's side door handle is busted - looks like someone wacked in a screwdriver and pulled out the right half of the handle itself - I still don't know why they only pulled out hald of the handle (not that I'm complaining) - I'm figuring in had to do with the brake club I had on - My only guess is that they initially got a litttle trigger-happy when they didn't see any club on my wheel - and started the job - but to later find out that I had a club on my brake. geni-asses. Is there a way to open the door by popping out the handle???
Old 07-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Sanduguero

Re: someone tried to JACK my 2k2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that... But at least you were smart and kept your max secure against thieves!!! Look at it in the bright side?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:20 PM
AIX

i am definitely looking at the brighter side of things - and w/ no question, I am quite "glad" that they couldnt do any more damage but STILL - what a way to screw a weekend - and another question - what am I to do w/ the chip in paint underneath my handle? It's a deep chip - take it to the dealer? and if anyone knows - is this common? i never heard of people trying to mess around with the door handle area itself......
Old 07-20-2002, 09:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

surprised they didnt go for the HIDs

I doubt they could have driven the car off.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:29 PM
AIX

i agree - i pushed back the part of the door handle that was sticking out and I drove off. Then it hit me - my HIDs - SO I stopped and the car and checked - and they were still there - thank goodness they were still there. If not, the weekend would have unimagineably HORRIBLE - the paint chip is really killing me though......
Old 07-20-2002, 09:37 PM
2K1HoMax

man that suck, i feel ur pain ive had some1 jack my ride be4. thank god it was my 3rd gen. i got i back though they stole just crappy cd's and left all the good 1z, other then that just the driver window was busted. hey insurance hooked me up so i wasnt too angry.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:39 PM
4 Maximas and counting

paint chip? -> www.langka.com

I've never tried it, but I've heard/read good things.

Originally posted by AIX
i am definitely looking at the brighter side of things - and w/ no question, I am quite "glad" that they couldnt do any more damage but STILL - what a way to screw a weekend - and another question - what am I to do w/ the chip in paint underneath my handle? It's a deep chip - take it to the dealer? and if anyone knows - is this common? i never heard of people trying to mess around with the door handle area itself......
Old 07-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They most probably were going for the headlights. Were your driver and passenger windows open when you got to the car? When my lights were stolen, the way they got in was to bend up the door handle, pull the wire out and turned the white piece with a key and both my windows open automatically. It couldn't be any easier to brake into the max.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:58 PM
AIX

wow - nope..windows were closed - and the door handle was only busted on the driver's side - is there any way to protect the door handles, so that people can't jack it open???
Old 07-20-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by SupaFly
When my lights were stolen, the way they got in was to bend up the door handle, pull the wire out and turned the white piece with a key and both my windows open automatically.
clever... pure evil.. but clever..
Old 07-20-2002, 10:29 PM

It could have been worse..a buddy of mine got his car broken into, and they stole his radio. But they must not have liked the type of music he did because they ejected the cassette that was in the deck and left it on his seat..now that is f'ed up.

I know this is kinda O/T, but a funny story none the less
Old 07-20-2002, 10:32 PM
AIX

hahahahaha - that is pretty messed up - thanks for the comic relief - most definitely the first time I laughed since the car incident...
Old 07-20-2002, 11:32 PM

someone popped off my moms handle on her durango, and tried to start the car with a dummy key, but the key broke in the ignition so they just left... we had to get the area around the handle repainted cuz the chip was huge... not cheap.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
man that suck, i feel ur pain ive had some1 jack my ride be4. thank god it was my 3rd gen. i got i back though they stole just crappy cd's and left all the good 1z, other then that just the driver window was busted. hey insurance hooked me up so i wasnt too angry.
Mine got broken into about a month ago, lost over a 100 CDs, my sub, golf clubs, cell, friends wallet...it sucked. Same with my insurance though, so it wasnt all that bad..
Old 07-21-2002, 12:03 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

As a former Queens resident, born and raised. I will blast the Whitestone area once again ! Some of my friends, used to prey on that area, in our teenage years.... I had 2 sets of headlight, and tailight covers stolen from my Mustang at the Cinemas there...

I now reside in Sunny San Diego, where they steal THE WHOLE car, and take it to Mexico !....
Old 07-21-2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
As a former Queens resident, born and raised. I will blast the Whitestone area once again ! Some of my friends, used to prey on that area, in our teenage years.... I had 2 sets of headlight, and tailight covers stolen from my Mustang at the Cinemas there...

I now reside in Sunny San Diego, where they steal THE WHOLE car, and take it to Mexico !....
Yeah the Whitestones area really suxs.. I had my clears stolen from the bowling alley not too long ago....
Old 07-21-2002, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Yeah the Whitestones area really suxs.. I had my clears stolen from the bowling alley not too long ago....
I've been to Queens(born and raised) once since I bought my Maxima and I was paranoid every minute. I pretty much kept it parked in my folks driveway.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:06 AM
Sanduguero

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kloogy
[B]As a former Queens resident, born and raised. I will blast the Whitestone area once again ! Some of my friends, used to prey on that area, in our teenage years.... I had 2 sets of headlight, and tailight covers stolen from my Mustang at the Cinemas there...

Now Thats something to worry about!!
Old 07-21-2002, 06:44 AM
OG and counting...

<< Reminds self not to bring his Maxima to NYC.

There are certain parts of Chicago that are pretty bad as well. I had a Caprice before the Maximas. In Chicago, Caprices are as high on the most stolen list as Maximas are in NYC. At the train station in Blue Island, I have had the car stolen (Recovered in Indiana) and broken into. When it was stolen, I lost my fishing poles, tackle box, around 200 tapes, around 250 computer disks (including one application).
Old 07-21-2002, 07:11 AM
lcf

broad daylight... damn.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by kloogy

Old 07-21-2002, 09:08 AM

STAY AWAY FROM FLUSHIN/WHITESTONE AREA ESP. AT NIGHT! CAB IT TO WHITESTONE LANES OR THE CINEMAS. OR JUST TAKE UR FRIENDS POS CAR.

oh and btw... the pool halls around that area attract the unfriendly car jacking crowd...
Old 07-21-2002, 09:50 AM
AIX

its pretty annoying at how I can't even leave my car parked in a huge, crowded parking lot for FIFTEEN minutes in BROAD DAYLIGHT. I love my car and all, but it's not as if it's a Bentley or something.. the paint chip is still killing me......... does anyone have any idea as to how much I would be shelling out to fix the chip @ the dealer's?
Old 07-21-2002, 10:32 AM

repair..

an estimate for a good paint/blend is about $300 a panel. that can vary on alot of things, but thats what my guestimate would be
Old 07-21-2002, 12:15 PM

They could also have been after the airbags too!
Old 07-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SupaFly
They most probably were going for the headlights. Were your driver and passenger windows open when you got to the car? When my lights were stolen, the way they got in was to bend up the door handle, pull the wire out and turned the white piece with a key and both my windows open automatically. It couldn't be any easier to brake into the max.
Anybody know of a way to disable the window rolling down with the key feature? I don't use it anyway since I have an aftermarket alarm.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:22 PM

We had our Jeep and our Mazda 626 stolen from in front of our house (lived in Baltimore City). I'd rather have had them take some parts but they joy road. Found the Jeep at a public golf course where they left it after destroying the tires and rims (and screwing up the body, the transmission . . . etc). The Mazda was being driven to and from school for 2 weeks by a 14 year old and his friends. Guess his parents didn't think it was suspicious that their 14 year old w/no license was in posession of a year old 626 and driving it to school. Maybe they were just glad he was in school. . .That car was a turbo and never the same.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:46 AM
AIX

multi-lock for the brake, HID locks, aftermarket alarm system...what else do i need to be able to leave a car parked in broad daylight for a few minutes?
Old 07-22-2002, 08:51 AM
lcf

Originally posted by AIX
multi-lock for the brake, HID locks, aftermarket alarm system...what else do i need to be able to leave a car parked in broad daylight for a few minutes?
ive searched the net for a good mini-video surveillance system that "watches" everything around the car. so even if someone bumps my car while its parallel parked in the city, i'll know who did it and have their plates.

i came up with very little.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I guess so far my luck been fine... nuthing happen to my SE... and I live only a couple of blocks away from Whitestone cinema/ Pathmark shopping center...

--- knock on wood ---
Old 07-22-2002, 09:26 AM
AIX

have any of you ever considered getting a hood lock?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 AM

stupid thieves...

Originally posted by AIX
Had a prizm a few years back the someone tried to pick the door handle just like that. I had full coverage and the insurance paid for all of the work, I only had a $50 deductable. On normal stuff my deductable is $500, but "under vandalism" they cover stuff differently. You may want to check this out with your insurance and see (might turn out good).

By the way, a neighbor of mine saw the guys (stupid 14, 17 year olds) trying to break in and called the police. They were there on the spot in minutes and caught both kids. This was a happy ending to the story! The neighbor said if it had been his car, he would have shot the kids and asked questions later (he had a gun too). He moved out a few months ago (darn!). He was my best form of security being on the first floor w/ my car right outside his window. I recently installed a "shock sensor" with my factory alarm to give theives less of a chance.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:55 AM

Sorry to hear that man... I also think in was that brake club that detered the S.O.B.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:51 PM
AIX

im going to get the paint chip checked out today and will drive around town to look for a better security system - will keep you posted...
Old 07-22-2002, 04:35 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by AIX
get a pitbull
Old 07-22-2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us

get a pitbull
And a MAC-10.

Buzz
Old 07-24-2002, 09:12 AM
AIX

going for the millenium SF pager/alarm system - does anyone have this? is the reception good/bad?
Old 07-26-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: someone tried to JACK my 2k2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by AIX
yeahp, that's right - in broad daylight too - I leave my car for 10-15mins in a Whitestone shopping center parking lot (nyc) and I come back to see that my driver's side door handle is busted - looks like someone wacked in a screwdriver and pulled out the right half of the handle itself - I still don't know why they only pulled out hald of the handle (not that I'm complaining) - I'm figuring in had to do with the brake club I had on - My only guess is that they initially got a litttle trigger-happy when they didn't see any club on my wheel - and started the job - but to later find out that I had a club on my brake. geni-asses. Is there a way to open the door by popping out the handle???

Old 07-26-2002, 10:15 AM
AIX

im slowly getting over my initial shock - but it's pretty ironic how I have contacted ALL the local service depts & accessory stores, and NO ONE seemed to know what I was talking about(HID Protection) - and I heard one local dealership had about 15 cars in the lot that were left blinded by local theives - I say the dealerships are enjoying these HID thefts. obviously...