5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Do you have an intake?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Who here does NOT have an intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Ah, there goes the streak of mostly agreeing with you...

Originally posted by jjs

on issues like tires, etc.

1. not afraid, just don't feel like wasting my time swapping crap in and out should something go wrong, nor do I feel like needlessly spending $$$ to replace parts, AND

2. nope, I have read and researched. I did not say there were NO performance gains, just that they are 'so called' since much of intake gain could easily be offset by ambient conditions and driver skill. I mean the average of .2 sec over a 1/4 mile (reaching the mid to high 90 mph zone) is hardly a real world daily driver gain to me

3. absolutely not! Some of us just like understated performance. For instance, I would really like a 540 but would hate a loud one.

You go ahead and enjoy the intake, to each his own...
You're absolutely right, jjs. As I've stated in the past, what a person decides to do or NOT DO to their vehicle is none of my business. But I believe it's important that people explain the reasons behind their decisions. You have now done so and quite eloquently, I might add.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:19 AM

HulaMAX: I don't know what kind it is, I got it during the GD that Russ had going a while back. Here are the pics:
http://maxima.homeip.net/max/Gr8Max2K/MYINTAKE/

Sure I'll sell my intake. It's in gr8 shape since I hardly had on my car.

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Interested in letting it go?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:18 AM

As one to vote for "the other side", my intake is now installed. I bought the Place Racing CAI from custommaxima.com and installed it Saturday. There is DEFINITELY a difference between the stock and the CAI. The engine has come alive, and the power increase was more than noticable. No MAF/ECU/SEC problems yet.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Gr8bone
HulaMAX: I don't know what kind it is, I got it during the GD that Russ had going a while back. Here are the pics:
http://maxima.homeip.net/max/Gr8Max2K/MYINTAKE/

Sure I'll sell my intake. It's in gr8 shape since I hardly had on my car.

That's a very low end intake. If you want one just like that I can sell you one for $35.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by cobymoby

That's a very low end intake. If you want one just like that I can sell you one for $35.
Thanks cobymoby, but no thanks. I was just asking Gr8bone what kind of intake he had so I know which one to stay away from since he had so many problems with a MAF going bad.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:20 AM

No wonder it seems like such a good deal at the time.
What makes this cone any less than the other intakes out there? just curious.

Originally posted by HulaMAX

Thanks cobymoby, but no thanks. I was just asking Gr8bone what kind of intake he had so I know which one to stay away from since he had so many problems with a MAF going bad.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by Gr8bone
No wonder it seems like such a good deal at the time.
What makes this cone any less than the other intakes out there? just curious.

It's a crappy, disposable, paper P.O.S. filter.

Get the Berk. get the Berk. Get the Berk.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:59 AM

I just got my $55 Berk intake yesterday. I installed it at lunch today. It only took about 20 minutes to install. I know nothing about engines, but how much easier does it get. I was prepared to take it out if I didn't like the sound. One reason that I bought the Max was because of it's quiet breathtaking performance. The new intake is every bit as quiet as stock when driving the car normal. When you let loose it gives a nice sounding low growl, but it's definately not intrusive or loud by any means. Like I mentioned before, I was ready to take it off if it had a loud sound. My only question is how long it will take for the computer to recalculate the air flow? I noticed an ever so slight gain, one being more responsive and less hesitation while the rpm's climb.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Virus
I just got my $55 Berk intake yesterday. I installed it at lunch today. It only took about 20 minutes to install. I know nothing about engines, but how much easier does it get. I was prepared to take it out if I didn't like the sound. One reason that I bought the Max was because of it's quiet breathtaking performance. The new intake is every bit as quiet as stock when driving the car normal. When you let loose it gives a nice sounding low growl, but it's definately not intrusive or loud by any means. Like I mentioned before, I was ready to take it off if it had a loud sound. My only question is how long it will take for the computer to recalculate the air flow? I noticed an ever so slight gain, one being more responsive and less hesitation while the rpm's climb.
No need for anything to be recalibrated.... It's just an intake.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:49 AM

Just got off the phone with Fedex, again, it's still open. They said I should find out within a few days.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:58 AM

No intake yet as I've only had my car for 2 weeks. I'd like to get one, but I have no idea which one to buy. Seems like everyone on this board has something different.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:02 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i agree, i only got 700 miles on my 02 6spd! My other nissan was modded to hell, and i want to drive a "stock" car for a little while.
I want JWT to do an ECU for this car, they should, this damn 3.5 is in so many trucks and cars!!!!

Old 08-01-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by cobymoby
Just got off the phone with Fedex, again, it's still open. They said I should find out within a few days.
What a bunch of bastards......... They KILLED that wheel.

Oh, any word on the center cap? Or should I just try a local speed shop?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:48 PM

just curious, is there more MAF failures on manuals than autos? maybe there is a pattern here.

I just got my Berk a month ago, already put 2000 miles on it, works great, my MPG went up
i dont know what others are talking about
more air that can get in means more O2 to combust with the fuel= better MPG and more HP

sure if you roll around with your foot pinned to the floor you might have some gas mileage issues with a stock vs upgraded intake. but my normal highway driving is getting me about 30 more miles to the tank full.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by sleepur
just curious, is there more MAF failures on manuals than autos? maybe there is a pattern here.

I just got my Berk a month ago, already put 2000 miles on it, works great, my MPG went up
i dont know what others are talking about
more air that can get in means more O2 to combust with the fuel= better MPG and more HP

sure if you roll around with your foot pinned to the floor you might have some gas mileage issues with a stock vs upgraded intake. but my normal highway driving is getting me about 30 more miles to the tank full.
I have yet to see a MAF fail on one of my intakes. They all have been failing with the other guys' stuff. Is there anyone here with a Berk Tuning intake and a failed MAF?