5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem with Cattman mid-pipe for 2k/2k1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problem with Cattman mid-pipe for 2k/2k1

Just to let everyone know, if you buy just the cattman mid-pipe, (but notthe muffler) you'll have to have a new flange welded to the muffler pipe. The one that comes on the cattman pipe is too big.

FORTUNATELY, since I have a fed-spec, I had to take my pipe to the muffler shop to have the 02 sensor bung welded in . When they tried to install they found that flanges that connect the cattman pipe and the stock muffler pipe didn't line up (the cattman is bigger) so they had to weld on a new flange. (I can't begin to tell you how ****ed off I would have been if I was installing this myself at home as I had planned)

I'm really starting to dislike manufacturers who leave out details like this when they sell you a product.

OH I have to weld an 02 bung on.

OH I have to weld a new bracket on since I didn't buy the whole system.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Problem with Cattman mid-pipe for 2k/2k1

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Just to let everyone know, if you buy just the cattman mid-pipe, (but notthe muffler) you'll have to have a new bracket welded to the muffler pipe. The one that comes on the cattman pipe is too big.

FORTUNATELY, since I have a fed-spec, I had to take my pipe to the muffler shop to have the 02 sensor bung welded in. When they tried to install they found that brackets between the cattman pipe and the stock muffler pipe didn't line up (the cattman is bigger) so they had to weld on a new bracket. (I can't begin to tell you how ****ed off I would have been if I was installing this myself at home as I had planned)

I'm really starting to dislike manufacturers who leave out details like this when they sell you a product.

OH I have to weld an 02 bung on.

OH I have to weld a new bracket on since I didn't buy the whole system.
I agree, I have a 2k2 and my mid-pipe rests on the cross bracket. I don't know what the long term effect will be, but so far it is no problems.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:46 AM

I guess I need to clarify. I should have said flange - as in the flanges that bolt together to hold the pieces together. Not the bracker.

sorry.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
I guess I need to clarify. I should have said flange - as in the flanges that bolt together to hold the pieces together. Not the bracker.

sorry.
my bad
Old 07-26-2002, 05:47 PM

Ok. So, guess what?

The ****ing flange the muffler shop welded on BROKE on my way home.

At least the muffler is not lying in the street.

This is not cattman's problem.

BUT, the fact they didn't bother to tell me that I had to have a new flange welded is.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:05 AM

The scoop from Cattman:

If you buy just the mid-pipe, the flange on the end of the resonator that connects to the cat MUST BE TURNED THE RIGHT WAY.

In other words, there is a right side up and an upside down for the resonator but it is not marked. If you have a cali-spec, no big deal, flip it. But if you have a fed spec, make sure it is the right way before they put in the 02 bung.

The reason that the muffler shop had to weld a new flange onto my muffler pipe is that they installed the resonator upside down (there is no way to tell). That caused the the flanges on the muffler pipe and on the mid pipe to mis-align.