5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sh*tty Stock Head Unit (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sh*tty Stock Head Unit (Rant)

Well, my CD player died on me about 3 1/2 weeks ago on a Friday. I ejected one CD and went to put another one in and it wouldnt take it. I went to Nissan the following Monday after it died to see about the replacement. The guy was pretty cool about ordering me a new one and it has been a hassle ever since. I have called them twice so far. The 1st time they said it would be in at the end of the week. That was last Monday. I called back on Friday and after being on hold for 20 minutes they finally said they had to call me back. After waiting 2 hours I got a call from the dealer telling me that it still wasn't in yet and they had no ETA!!! I am really gettting mad. How long does it take for them to get a head unit? They should have spares somewhere!!! On a side not, I have 2 seperate cracks in my sunroof visor that I asked them about. The visor was on the car when I bought it so as far as I am concerned it should be covered under bumper to bumper. They told me the best they could do is take a look at it. I have never had a problem with this dealer yet but I am about to call Nissan to see if I can get this escalated. Any suggestions?
I know this is a rant but I just had to relieve my anger!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 04:46 PM

take the sunroof visor off....believe me that it'll look a LOT better
Old 08-13-2002, 05:17 PM
It's chrome alright...

take it off, leave it on, whichever you prefer (it doesn't look better with it off, it looks different) BUT it is covered under the warranty and they SHOULD replace it for free.

Originally posted by 2001SE
Old 08-13-2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
I like the way it looks on there and I will be fighting it tooth and nail to get it replaced!!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:46 PM

Young man You have 2 issues.

1) CD player not working
2) sunroof Visor cracked

1) Call Your dealer tomorrow, Tell the guy, I need a Time Frame on the CD Player. If its an odd thing like "Try At the End of the week" Call Nissan Consumer Affairs, Open a ticket with them letting them know about the issue that the dealer is pushing you around. They will look into it and resolve your issue.

2) As for the Sunroof situation. If the dealer put it on and its broken, tell them to replace it. Stuff like that should be under warrenty since they put it on the car.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Very sound, Mike

That problem with the OEM headunit seems to be well-documented among most maxima owners as well as the dealerships themselves.

Mine stopped working in the same exact manner as yours several weeks ago and was initially told i'd have to wait 10 days. Eventually even the radio died. I was then told it might take up to the first week of September to get the replacements in due to a nationwide backorder.

I just couldn't wait that long, so i replaced it with an Alpine CDA-7894. I'm much happier now.

Best part of all this? I'm still getting the replacement headunit and i'll probably just sell that on E-Bay or something.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:26 PM

I want to replace my single DIN head unit with something way better, but I don't want to loose my steering wheel controls and it might interfere with the NAVI voice.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 PM

Stay on there a$$ and let them give you what u payed for.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:46 PM

hmmm...

about the sunroof wind deflector....

i got mine replaced for free but the punk service writer gave me a hard time trying to disprove me wrong that it was obviously a defective part even though i had shown it to him the week before when i went in to get the car cover... guess what he said about the warranty? "it is only covered for 1yr/12k miles... " I thought WTF!!it freakin came with the car from the freaking factory, it should be under the 3yr/36k warranty... which reminds me i gotta call nissan about this.... oh yeah, it's starting to crack again... and guess what i would have to take it in for them to take a look and then wait a whole week to get it in before getting it installed... i live in sacramento, california and guess what? there is a nissan parts distribution warehouse right here in sactown... wait for 5 days for a part that is sitting in a bin just 30 minutes across town, now that's plain lame and pathetic....

as for the stock head unit, mine is still okay... hope it don't break down... i prefer the stock look (trying to avoid curious evil eyes and fingers)and the steering wheel controls...
Old 08-14-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
That problem with the OEM headunit seems to be well-documented among most maxima owners as well as the dealerships themselves.

Mine stopped working in the same exact manner as yours several weeks ago and was initially told i'd have to wait 10 days. Eventually even the radio died. I was then told it might take up to the first week of September to get the replacements in due to a nationwide backorder.

I just couldn't wait that long, so i replaced it with an Alpine CDA-7894. I'm much happier now.

Best part of all this? I'm still getting the replacement headunit and i'll probably just sell that on E-Bay or something.
Just out of curiousity, how are you gong to get the replacement head unit if you already have an aftermarket in there? Will the dealer just hand it over to you? I plan on upgrading to a video HU in the future but probably not till next year.
LOoks like its time to buy my speakers so I can at least get them done. I hate listening to the radio!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Very sound, Mike

NYC2SD, if you get the PAC SWI-X adapter you won't have to lose the steering wheel mounted controls.

remykins, i asked the service manager in advance what my options are at this point and he suggested i just go ahead with an aftermarket if i really can't wait. As long as i can bring them the malfunctioning headunit when the replacement arrives it's fine with them
Old 08-14-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: Sh*tty Stock Head Unit (Rant)

My sunroof is cracked too, also my mirror rattles, the windshield wipers suck a$$ and when I open my passenger window I hear some weird noise. Im taking my car next week for my 7500 check up and if they gimme any $hit I will call the 800 nissan number and let them deal with the dealer. I know I should have taken it long time ago because I had that problem for 2 mts but i dont have time to drive around and need my car almost any minute of the day.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

remykins, i asked the service manager in advance what my options are at this point and he suggested i just go ahead with an aftermarket if i really can't wait. As long as i can bring them the malfunctioning headunit when the replacement arrives it's fine with them [/B]
Maybe I will be upgrading my HU sooner than I thought. Soundmike you seem to be one of the guys to talk to about audio. Do you know anything about the Clarion VRX925VD? It looks to be a very good unit for the price and has everything in one unit.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:13 PM
Very sound, Mike

Funny that you mention that, i was eyeing the unit for quite some time myself.

Anyway, two things turned me off from getting it (okay, 3 if you count the fact that i got laid-off recently).

1) I'm not feeling the external color, it's not as bluish as most photo's lead you to believe but i'm nitpicky when it comes to aesthetics.

2) It's a Clarion. According to TimW they have problems with the CD mechanism on most of their Pro Audio line-up. Given the same CD mechanism problems are ocurring on both OEM and Bose headunits on our Maxima's that really tells you something about their quality this time around.

If you want an all-in-one unit like the Clarion and is still a touch-screen unit i'd suggest getting the Kenwood KVT-911DVD unit instead.

OR, you could do what i've dreamed of doing. Get the Eclipse 7301 AV Center Control System. It takes the form of a 5.8" TFT screen that fits in a 2DIN space (think full-time TFT instead of flip-down). (Pic)

It's not an all-inclusive unit but you have to admit it looks spiffy