5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I got greedy and got walked by a Solara V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 05:05 AM

I got greedy and got walked by a Solara V6

I knew this race wouldn't be a problem, in fact, I wasn't even gonna try, then the light changed. He took off hard, and I did too. The pavement was damp as it had sprinkled out just a few minutes before. That Auto V6 Solara pulled out on me from the start. My max started to walk up on him around 4500 RPM and then it happened. Those Potenzas started to spin, I quick shifted to second, and pulled along side that poor Toyota. He had that car floored, I could hear it. I grab third to finish him off....and wouldn't you know it, those potenzas start spinning again, all I could do was watch as he walks by and my tach races towards 6500!

Lessons learned: Don't race an Auto car in the rain if you're gonna get greedy. There's no reason for all that power if you can't get it down. Now there's a Solara out there who thinks he can take a 2k2. Until next time...
Old 08-22-2002, 05:22 AM

Re: I got greedy and got walked by a Solara V6

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
I knew this race wouldn't be a problem, in fact, I wasn't even gonna try, then the light changed. He took off hard, and I did too. The pavement was damp as it had sprinkled out just a few minutes before. That Auto V6 Solara pulled out on me from the start. My max started to walk up on him around 4500 RPM and then it happened. Those Potenzas started to spin, I quick shifted to second, and pulled along side that poor Toyota. He had that car floored, I could hear it. I grab third to finish him off....and wouldn't you know it, those potenzas start spinning again, all I could do was watch as he walks by and my tach races towards 6500!

Lessons learned: Don't race an Auto car in the rain if you're gonna get greedy. There's no reason for all that power if you can't get it down. Now there's a Solara out there who thinks he can take a 2k2. Until next time...
Yeah I bet he has a big smile on his face and is telling all his friends about it... Looks like it's time for some new tires...
Old 08-22-2002, 05:54 AM

I wouldn't underestimate those Solaras. People could have sleeper TRD Solaras that should be able to pull on a 6 spd (driver dependant). As a matter of fact I was going to by an '01 Solara 5 spd V6 and put a TRD supercharger on it until Toyota started to jerk me around with the TRD stuff in Canada. They (TRD supercharged) have 260 bhp and I think the same torque, 0-60 should be heigh 5's. Motortrend had a couple of articles on them.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:59 AM

yes the tires are partly to blame for the loss but i'm sure u could have pulled ahead. u don't necessarily have to "floor" it, especially w/ ur situation (wet road). now go get some s03's...

Old 08-22-2002, 06:15 AM

Ha! i was pulling out into traffic the other day and a passat come flying up on me so i gun it. he was doing 60-70 as he was passin me doing about 20. catch up to him with my messed up MAF at about 100mph and i let off bc the area is bad with cops. down the road the passat put his flashers on like he won the race. i love when people do ricer fly bys. thats how people get the wrong impression that their car is fast.

will
Old 08-22-2002, 06:37 AM

Re: Re: I got greedy and got walked by a Solara V6

Originally posted by craaaazzy
yes the tires are partly to blame for the loss but i'm sure u could have pulled ahead. u don't necessarily have to "floor" it, especially w/ ur situation (wet road). now go get some s03's...

The problem was that VQ35 power. Every time my motor hit its sweet spot, those tires just kept breaking loose in every gear. I got a little excited when I started to pull on him, but then the tires would break loose. It was kinda funny, there's nothing quite like smoking 'em in third.

Funny thing is, now everyday, on that road, I am looking for that guy in the Solara. Revenge will be sweet.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't want to rain on your fun (rain, get it? hehe), but read this:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=141587

Then think a little harder the next time you decide to drive like a fool.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:00 AM

Tanman:

Ok, now I am a very good driver, and don't go racing all over the place. I know my abilities, my limits, and respect the law under most circumstances.

Like I said, I had just started to sprinkle. What I didn't tell you was that It was a 4 lane straight road, and I maybe got up to 60mph in this 45mph zone during that story.

I am sorry to hear about Ming, and anyone else who has been unfortunate enough to have an accident in their car.

Any how. No harm done.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:31 AM

Like I said, I had just started to sprinkle...
What does taking a leak have to do with any of this? I'm just saying be careful because you sound like me, we think we're good drivers and we know our cars, but you never know. Anyhow, good race, you'll get him next time .
Old 08-22-2002, 09:44 AM

Yeah those Potenzas are scary to drive on in the rain. I always find myself sliding when taking turns, it is kinda scary.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:49 AM

What's up with Passat owners?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WILLSE
[B]Ha! i was pulling out into traffic the other day and a passat come flying up on me so i gun it. he was doing 60-70 as he was passin me doing about 20. catch up to him with my messed up MAF at about 100mph and i let off bc the area is bad with cops. down the road the passat put his flashers on like he won the race. i love when people do ricer fly bys. thats how people get the wrong impression that their car is fast.

same thing happened to me the other day. Some clown in a white passat does a fly-by. we get to a red light and I decide to show him what a Max is all about. I'm a full car's length ahead of him when we come up on another light before you get onto the freeway, the light turns yellow and its obvious there's no way we can make the red so I stop hoping he'd want to try again, but the clown runs the light. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:51 AM

how about some rain tires?

you know an auto Solara runs like mid 16s 1/4mile? there was no need for you to even rev it up like that..
Old 08-22-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

how about some rain tires?

you know an auto Solara runs like mid 16s 1/4mile? there was no need for you to even rev it up like that..

True, but he got the jump on me because I wasn't gonna go unless he did. If we'd gone farther I would have walked him I am sure. I backed off when third began to spin. Figured just let 'em go and get 'em next time.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:46 PM

Advice: Don't race in the rain.

As for Solara V6 vs 2K2 Max: I've driven the V6 5Speed Solara at legnth and...they ain't that quick. They're barely as quick as a 4G VQ30 Maxima let alone a VQ35DE Max. But I guess this is one of those instances where having little torque and a wet surface works well.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:31 PM

lessons

1) Potenzas suck in the rain.
2) Driving fast in the rain is a no-no.
3) Nothing really bad happened so somebody is smiling on you.

Everytime I read about the potenzas breaking lose I think of my own experience. I haven't chirped them in 3rd but in the rain it would probably be easy. Fortunately with Northern Cal rain is not a big problem but still. Makes me seriously consider tossing them and getting the Michelins.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: lessons

Originally posted by ajahearn

Everytime I read about the potenzas breaking lose I think of my own experience. I haven't chirped them in 3rd but in the rain it would probably be easy. Fortunately with Northern Cal rain is not a big problem but still. Makes me seriously consider tossing them and getting the Michelins.
3) With 255hp, very easy indeed.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Maxima06071

Dude?

Originally posted by Tanman
Don't want to rain on your fun (rain, get it? hehe), but read this:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=141587

Then think a little harder the next time you decide to drive like a fool.
What's this have to do with Ming?
2002 was street racing and it was wet...Ming was just driving(home?)NOT racing and the road was smooth not wet. Ming's tragedy has nothing to do with this, and yeah I've heard the Porsche story.. I mean I know what you're saying about being cautious when driving, but Ming had no control over the situation and God just chose a course for him. Two completly different situations man.
_________,
Jeff Catt
P.S Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as sounding like as a**, but I just had to mention something.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:56 AM

Re: Dude?

Originally posted by Maxima06071
What's this have to do with Ming?
2002 was street racing and it was wet...Ming was just driving(home?)NOT racing and the road was smooth not wet. Ming's tragedy has nothing to do with this, and yeah I've heard the Porsche story.. I mean I know what you're saying about being cautious when driving, but Ming had no control over the situation and God just chose a course for him. Two completly different situations man.
_________,
Jeff Catt
P.S Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as sounding like as a**, but I just had to mention something.
Well, the point of my post was to drive carefully, because you never know. Ming was "just driving" and look what happened to him. 2002Maxxxima was driving too, I'm just cautioning him to be careful. It's all related.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:56 AM

?

Originally posted by WILLSE
Ha! i was pulling out into traffic the other day and a passat come flying up on me so i gun it. he was doing 60-70 as he was passin me doing about 20. catch up to him with my messed up MAF at about 100mph and i let off bc the area is bad with cops. down the road the passat put his flashers on like he won the race. i love when people do ricer fly bys. thats how people get the wrong impression that their car is fast.

will

maybe he put on hishazards t say "nice race" or "let's go again lil man"
you can't necessarily say he was shoving it in your face.
i do that too sometimes....where i'll fly by someone and see him try to catch up to me. i put my hazards...meaning "come on bring it you biatch~!
Old 08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
RussMaxManiac

Racing with the ground wet. Real smart.

Don't come and complain to us if you live and total your car. I just hope you don't kill anyone.

.02 cents. No flames intended.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Wat

Re: lessons

Originally posted by ajahearn

Driving fas in the rain on those POS potenzas is a BIG no-no. If you hit a paint stripe in the wet at 1/4 throttle, they will spin. Definitely go for some michelins, Pilot sport or pilot sport all season if you can.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: lessons

Originally posted by E55AMG2

Driving fas in the rain on those POS potenzas is a BIG no-no. If you hit a paint stripe in the wet at 1/4 throttle, they will spin. Definitely go for some michelins, Pilot sport or pilot sport all season if you can.
WOW. I opened this thread up and started reading and I knew I read this before.

Now everyone will once read again the Maxima lost to a Camry.
Good going E55
Old 11-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Slightly wet pavement during the beginning of rain fall is flat out dangerous to race on. The rain hasn't had to time wash away the road grim and oil. You would be a fool to race in conditions like that. I can lay into 3rd at 55mph and spin my tires easily on a wet surface. 1st and 2nd are absolutely dangerous if I go WOT because the whole car slides to the right.

Dave
Old 11-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ya stock tires sux
but a win is a win
Old 11-18-2002, 12:21 PM

those soloaras are a joke. i "raced" if that what you wanna call it, the 4 cylinder version in a 00 conti and if looked like he never moved from the start. i dont imagine having to rev past 4500 to beat a v6 solara.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:29 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by slickrick
those soloaras are a joke. i "raced" if that what you wanna call it, the 4 cylinder version in a 00 conti and if looked like he never moved from the start. i dont imagine having to rev past 4500 to beat a v6 solara.
I know v6 camry 5spds run 14.7 stock. A guy locally has one and he was stock and ran that time.

Old 11-18-2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I know v6 camry 5spds run 14.7 stock. A guy locally has one and he was stock and ran that time.
I'm impressed
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM

Ah, nothing lke the rebirth of an old thread.

...if I ever see that guy again...hehe...I was not impressed.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by acMAX

I'm impressed
do they make 5 speed v6 camrys?
Old 11-18-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by slickrick

do they make 5 speed v6 camrys?
They are produced but in limited numbers and are EXTREMELY hard to come by!! (Much like the 2003 Accord V6 6-speed.)
Old 11-18-2002, 03:58 PM

Turnazas suck in the rain to just for the record.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by wnb007
Turnazas suck in the rain to just for the record.
so do slicks
Old 11-18-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
so do slicks
Who would have thought that slicks suck in the rain?
Old 11-18-2002, 04:13 PM

i haven't....

met a driver of a camry solara v6 that wanted to run.... Most are either older guys who don't want to run and have automatics or women who could care less to race...

by the way have you seen the size of their stock tires... they are skinny stuff.... they probably weigh more too.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:41 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

a Maxima is a far better deal than a solara with the supercharger. Unless you SERIOUSLy crank the boost you will be running mid to high 14s on stock tires
Old 11-18-2002, 05:46 PM

I do know that SOLARAS can get a TRD Supercharger

Where's our Nismo Supercharger?
oh thats right..we aren't worth their market.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by irvine78

there was no need for you to even rev it up like that..
Thats the key to racing in the rain... or get some Nitto 555's in 245/35 R19 ....