5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

First impressions: 2001 vs. 2003 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 05:46 PM

First impressions: 2001 vs. 2003 Maxima

So there I was at work last Sunday night. In the background...Nissan was playing their ad for .9% 36mo. financing on 2002 models. Was jealous...as I was locked in at 4.9 48 mos. on my 2001 (SE model, 5 spd, comfort and covienence package, no mods.) from NMAC.

Did some number crunching...realized I could save a fair amount in interest expense by going with a 2002...but only if the dealer was willing to deal...that is...give me a lot for my trade-in and hacking the price considerably on the 2002. 27 payments left on the 2001...my first brand-new car. Felt a twinge of betrayal to my car by considering such a move. Just a twinge (is twinge a word? It is now...)

Gave the dealer (which I bought my first max from...great service) a call on 9/3...the last day of the .9% offer and explained my situation...that I'd be interested ONLY if a 6 speed was available AND they'd be willing to deal...heavily...to make it worth my while. Ya see, I had intended on keeping my '01 for a long time and therefore felt a bit decadent for considering a trade in so soon. Apparently, 2002 6 speeds are a rarity at this juncture and only a 2003 would in all likelihood be found, and .9% applied to them too. Almost didn't go. No way they'd wheel and deal on a '03 so early, right? Aw hell get to test drive it anyway...

Other things in my favor to trade in.

1. Hail damage. Not easy to see when dirty...visible when clean. Luckily, my car was dirty.

2. Dents in rear bumper from hit and run whilst my car was parked.

3. Minor scrape and dent in front left fender. Shopping cart?

4. Brakes were beginning to shudder. Uh-oh.

5. 25,000 miles. Warranty running low.

To cut to the quick, they delt. Delt hard. $150 below invoice on the '03, payed up quite well on my trade in. No mention on damage, in fact complimented me on keeping the car up so well...

On to the '01 vs. '03 comparo.

Interior: Subtle changes here cosmetically. Splashes of chrome here and there. I'm neutral on it.

Seats "sit" differently. Seem to be in a higher position here...and it seems like I cant raise up the front part of the seat as high as I'd like as on the '03. Overall, still comfortable...maybe a bit more supportive. Like the styling in the cloth a little more on the '03.

Radio (non-bose) gives a numeric representation on how "loud" it is. Nice addition to an annoyingly lacking feature in the '01.

Trip computer. Fun toy. Again, lacking in the '01.

Still has that damn adjustable center console height that I occasionaly bump unintentionally. Hate it. Can live with it.

Leave keys in ignition and open the door? The alarm alerting you to this has gone from a pleasant "bong...bong...bong" in the '01 to a cheesy "beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep..." in the '03. Nitpicking I know, but bad move on Nissan's part.

Much better controls for the sunroof.

Overall quality of plastic in interior seems improved.

And..yes...ahhhhh..that new car smell...renewed....

Exterior:

Like the Xenon bulbs. Heard some reports that acutally HID's are not as good as the oldies. I like 'em. Look cool to others on the road in my opinion. High beams are the "old style" Why did they do this?

I like the wheels a little more...though as subtle as the changes are.

The Nissan emblem in the front grill is a lot bigger. Bad move. Kinda cheesy.

Doors close with a more convincing thud.

Rear taillights are surrounded by the clear plastic. Love it.

Engine/transmission.

Improvements very noticeable in manual. I think the shift throw is shorter. Definately a lot less slop in the shifter...even though the '01 was pretty good in my opinion.

Going from gear to gear is considerably more precise. A little more notchiness when going into gear...but its a good notchiness. I like the crisper action it gives. Clutch pedal feel is better too...not sure how to describe it other than simply more precise. Overall, very impressed with transmission. Admittedly, this being the first 6-speed I have driven...having that extra gear will take some getting used to.

Engine. Unreal. One thing that really impressed me with the '01 was how quiet and smooth the engine was. The '01 does not hold a candle to the '03. Good lord. Whisper quiet...and well...just smooth. Like wet ice on wet ice smooth. A good maple gunstock brought down to 600 grit sandpaper smooth.

Driving: The overall driving experience really sold me on the '01. Quiet at highway speeds. After breaking in, loved the power. The gutteral roar of getting it on. Rock solid all the way up to 120...the fastest I ever took it....though she wanted more. Decent handling for a car this size. The '03? Quieter. Did I mention smooth? Can't comment on the gee-wiz factor of more power till it gets broken in, and by then I will have forgotten the feel of my '01 to give an objective comparison. But, I highly suspect that this car will not dissapoint. Handling? I'd say about the same.

Well that's my take. Questions and comments are welcomed and encouraged.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:25 PM

Congrats on your new car! Don't you just love the new car smell? Ah, the sacrifices to our checkbook that we do for that. So basically you got a 2003 with the same options like your 2k1? What was the total price difference to put you in the new car? I am also curious what they allowed for your trade-in.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If I could, I'd definately make the switch. 2003 will probably be the last year the Max will be a 4DSC. It will most likely get bigger and not have the same feel. If you haven't yet, go for it!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:20 PM

how much did they give you for your 01 and what options do you have?
Old 09-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: First impressions: 2001 vs. 2003 Maxima

Originally posted by geneevans
So there I was at work last Sunday night. In the background...Nissan was playing their ad for .9% 36mo. financing on 2002 models. Was jealous...as I was locked in at 4.9 48 mos. on my 2001 (SE model, 5 spd, comfort and covienence package, no mods.) from NMAC.

Did some number crunching...realized I could save a fair amount in interest expense by going with a 2002...but only if the dealer was willing to deal...that is...give me a lot for my trade-in and hacking the price considerably on the 2002. 27 payments left on the 2001...my first brand-new car. Felt a twinge of betrayal to my car by considering such a move. Just a twinge (is twinge a word? It is now...)

Gave the dealer (which I bought my first max from...great service) a call on 9/3...the last day of the .9% offer and explained my situation...that I'd be interested ONLY if a 6 speed was available AND they'd be willing to deal...heavily...to make it worth my while. Ya see, I had intended on keeping my '01 for a long time and therefore felt a bit decadent for considering a trade in so soon. Apparently, 2002 6 speeds are a rarity at this juncture and only a 2003 would in all likelihood be found, and .9% applied to them too. Almost didn't go. No way they'd wheel and deal on a '03 so early, right? Aw hell get to test drive it anyway...

Other things in my favor to trade in.

1. Hail damage. Not easy to see when dirty...visible when clean. Luckily, my car was dirty.

2. Dents in rear bumper from hit and run whilst my car was parked.

3. Minor scrape and dent in front left fender. Shopping cart?

4. Brakes were beginning to shudder. Uh-oh.

5. 25,000 miles. Warranty running low.

To cut to the quick, they delt. Delt hard. $150 below invoice on the '03, payed up quite well on my trade in. No mention on damage, in fact complimented me on keeping the car up so well...

On to the '01 vs. '03 comparo.

Interior: Subtle changes here cosmetically. Splashes of chrome here and there. I'm neutral on it.

Seats "sit" differently. Seem to be in a higher position here...and it seems like I cant raise up the front part of the seat as high as I'd like as on the '03. Overall, still comfortable...maybe a bit more supportive. Like the styling in the cloth a little more on the '03.

Radio (non-bose) gives a numeric representation on how "loud" it is. Nice addition to an annoyingly lacking feature in the '01.

Trip computer. Fun toy. Again, lacking in the '01.

Still has that damn adjustable center console height that I occasionaly bump unintentionally. Hate it. Can live with it.

Leave keys in ignition and open the door? The alarm alerting you to this has gone from a pleasant "bong...bong...bong" in the '01 to a cheesy "beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep..." in the '03. Nitpicking I know, but bad move on Nissan's part.

Much better controls for the sunroof.

Overall quality of plastic in interior seems improved.

And..yes...ahhhhh..that new car smell...renewed....

Exterior:

Like the Xenon bulbs. Heard some reports that acutally HID's are not as good as the oldies. I like 'em. Look cool to others on the road in my opinion. High beams are the "old style" Why did they do this?

I like the wheels a little more...though as subtle as the changes are.

The Nissan emblem in the front grill is a lot bigger. Bad move. Kinda cheesy.

Doors close with a more convincing thud.

Rear taillights are surrounded by the clear plastic. Love it.

Engine/transmission.

Improvements very noticeable in manual. I think the shift throw is shorter. Definately a lot less slop in the shifter...even though the '01 was pretty good in my opinion.

Going from gear to gear is considerably more precise. A little more notchiness when going into gear...but its a good notchiness. I like the crisper action it gives. Clutch pedal feel is better too...not sure how to describe it other than simply more precise. Overall, very impressed with transmission. Admittedly, this being the first 6-speed I have driven...having that extra gear will take some getting used to.

Engine. Unreal. One thing that really impressed me with the '01 was how quiet and smooth the engine was. The '01 does not hold a candle to the '03. Good lord. Whisper quiet...and well...just smooth. Like wet ice on wet ice smooth. A good maple gunstock brought down to 600 grit sandpaper smooth.

Driving: The overall driving experience really sold me on the '01. Quiet at highway speeds. After breaking in, loved the power. The gutteral roar of getting it on. Rock solid all the way up to 120...the fastest I ever took it....though she wanted more. Decent handling for a car this size. The '03? Quieter. Did I mention smooth? Can't comment on the gee-wiz factor of more power till it gets broken in, and by then I will have forgotten the feel of my '01 to give an objective comparison. But, I highly suspect that this car will not dissapoint. Handling? I'd say about the same.

Well that's my take. Questions and comments are welcomed and encouraged.
Very nice writeup for those of us pondering the switch. The ONLY reason I would upgrade to the 2K3 is for the power. Everything else is pretty much relative to me. I think I'll be getting the Z in one year though.....
Old 09-06-2002, 10:19 PM

I have a 2K GXE 5spd and recently test-drove a 2k3 SE 5spd. I really wasnt as impressed. It is actually the same car, although a bit more powerful (not a whole lot). I dont like the clutch in 2K but hated it even more in 2k3: they brought the pedal even more up, as if an ideal driver has a shorter left leg. Besides the point the dealer wanted too much for this demo (3500 miles, fully loaded except Navi) 28 grand, I dont see myself being stuck by payments to the same car, although a bit improved.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I have a 2K GXE 5spd and recently test-drove a 2k3 SE 5spd. I really wasnt as impressed. It is actually the same car, although a bit more powerful (not a whole lot). I dont like the clutch in 2K but hated it even more in 2k3: they brought the pedal even more up, as if an ideal driver has a shorter left leg. Besides the point the dealer wanted too much for this demo (3500 miles, fully loaded except Navi) 28 grand, I dont see myself being stuck by payments to the same car, although a bit improved.
2k3 6 speed..
Old 09-07-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
2k3 6 speed..
sorry yeah my mistake 2k3 6spd
Old 09-07-2002, 09:58 AM

Re: Re: First impressions: 2001 vs. 2003 Maxima

Originally posted by asu174

Very nice writeup for those of us pondering the switch. The ONLY reason I would upgrade to the 2K3 is for the power. Everything else is pretty much relative to me. I think I'll be getting the Z in one year though.....

Why quote a 40 page article for that? No flame, just curious.