5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Burnt clutch/slippage on a 2K1 SE-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 08:17 AM

Burnt clutch/slippage on a 2K1 SE-5

Hey guys
I was at a stoplight on a very steep incline the yesterday and and when I had to go, I struggled to get up the hill. After that I smelled a foul stench coming from the front wheel wells--burnt clutch.
It drove fine after that, but I noticed during the 1-2-3 shift, the car hesitated (felt like the gears took 2 seconds to bite) before surging forward. Gears 4-5 are OK.

Now today, the hesitation is gone and I managed to get a 1-2 scratch coming out of the tollbooths; yesterday the car wasn't that peppy.
Even though everything's back to normal, should I have the dealer look at it? Is there another possiblity that the clutch will slip again? Thanx for the info.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:52 AM

Re: Burnt clutch/slippage on a 2K1 SE-5

Originally posted by maximawanabee
Hey guys
I was at a stoplight on a very steep incline the yesterday and and when I had to go, I struggled to get up the hill. After that I smelled a foul stench coming from the front wheel wells--burnt clutch.
It drove fine after that, but I noticed during the 1-2-3 shift, the car hesitated (felt like the gears took 2 seconds to bite) before surging forward. Gears 4-5 are OK.

Now today, the hesitation is gone and I managed to get a 1-2 scratch coming out of the tollbooths; yesterday the car wasn't that peppy.
Even though everything's back to normal, should I have the dealer look at it? Is there another possiblity that the clutch will slip again? Thanx for the info.
Either your clutch is worn and needs to be replaced sometime in the near future (because if it's worn, it will get worse) or you just overheated your clutch that one time on the steep incline and it's fine. I've had both happen to me. You'll know soon enough if your clutch is going. During the next few weeks, if you don't have any grabbing problems, you'll be fine. If you do, it'll get worse every day. No need to get your clutch checked now unless they can check it for free (which I doubt). A slipping clutch gets worse gradually. You'll know when it's time for a new clutch.
Old 09-16-2002 | 12:53 PM

Re: Burnt clutch/slippage on a 2K1 SE-5

Originally posted by maximawanabee
Hey guys

It just sounds like you rode the clutch a little too long.